News   May 17, 2024
 2.3K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.5K     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 10K     10 

Restaurant Comings & Goings

I was on the danforth today for a medical appointment and was facing a long trip back west, so thought I’d head farther east and treat myself to lunch at a restaurant that hasn’t come or gone for decades, but I have never been to. A Toronto legend. Len Duckworth’s fish and chips did not disappoint at all. And a lunch special for $8.50!?!

I was on the danforth today for a medical appointment and was facing a long trip back west, so thought I’d head farther east and treat myself to lunch at a restaurant that hasn’t come or gone for decades, but I have never been to. A Toronto legend. Len Duckworth’s fish and chips did not disappoint at all. And a lunch special for $8.50!?!

The better location is on Kingston Road.

Did you go to the 2024 Toronto Life Best Restaurant event? I feel like this year's top 20 new restaurant list was like meh but feel like everything the same. Aera at The Well is just pure garbage and this has been a common theme via Google reviews.

Mhel is pretty up there so i will give them that!

I still don't know how people afford to go eat at restaurant when inflation is still at an at time high....

@AlbertC @Northern Light thoughts?

Did you go to the 2024 Toronto Life Best Restaurant event? I feel like this year's top 20 new restaurant list was like meh but feel like everything the same. Aera at The Well is just pure garbage and this has been a common theme via Google reviews.

Mhel is pretty up there so i will give them that!

I still don't know how people afford to go eat at restaurant when inflation is still at an at time high....

@AlbertC @Northern Light thoughts?

I didn't attend the event, and TBH I haven't tried any of these places on the list yet. I find myself mostly dining out up in Leaside, NYCC, Scarborough, or Markham nowadays.

In terms of the wider macroeconomics of Toronto's dining scene, here's some thoughts that come to mind. There will always be people who have disposable income to spend, whether younger folks who have less expenses/obligations, or just don't mind being highly leveraged as long as they're having fun in their lifestyle. Along with the young, often well to do, cosmopolitan, urban dwellers that may have moved to downtown from the suburbs to be closer to the action. Food trends and dishes going viral on social media also has a lot to do with it.

There's also the company expense account holders who can spend to entertain their guests or clients. Especially now that the "social economy" is back up and roaring in the post-pandemic phase. In addition to the tourism industry, whether it's people internationally or regionally. Sporting events, concerts, and shows are also a major driver. I've seen a couple of live performances that were Mirvish theatre productions in the past year or so, and those shows sell out easily. A good chunk of these people might grab some food before or after the show, etc.

I think there's also fairly deep pockets behind these more formidable restaurant groups. Grant van Gameren have opened a new spot in Little Italy called Martine's Wine Bar.

Back