News   May 02, 2024
 85     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 129     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 186     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Screenshot_2024-04-19_145541.jpg

Last edited:
I thought I'd share this here, but I know @TheHonestMaple was asking about this. But I've heard through the grapevine what some of the cost for the West Harbor/Hamilton Go Centre renovations this summer will be.

Apparently the West Harbor plaza will be rebuilt to better accommodate additional buses, both GO and local. Under Hamiltons future transit plan, the station becomes a much larger node of the bus system, essentially replacing much of the work the current terminal does at MacNab St.

I thought I'd share this here, but I know @TheHonestMaple was asking about this. But I've heard through the grapevine what some of the cost for the West Harbor/Hamilton Go Centre renovations this summer will be.

Apparently the West Harbor plaza will be rebuilt to better accommodate additional buses, both GO and local. Under Hamiltons future transit plan, the station becomes a much larger node of the bus system, essentially replacing much of the work the current terminal does at MacNab St.
Good to hear that West Harbour will get better bus connections given that it is Hamilton's all-day train station.

Here's a City of Hamilton map from March 2023 showing a concept for HSR bus network reorganization that includes an increased focus on West Harbour station. Weirdly they show the buses heading eastbound through the station which would put their doors on the south side of the bus roadway, whereas the station is on the north side. The current terminal is westbound for that reason.
Capture.PNG

But even with the existing bus terminal they could do a lot better. For example Route 18K currently departs just before each train arrival, which means that people connecting from the train to the bus need to take the previous train 30 minutes earlier and ride route 18K all the way from Aldershot via downtown Hamilton. Timing the bus to meet trains at West Harbour would save 20 minutes for passengers connecting to Route 18K.
Capture.PNG

Confederation GO station's catchment will primarily be the residential areas east of the station, but that same map doesn't have any direct bus service from the station to Barton Street (route 12) or Queenston Rd (routes 5 and 10). Route 12 goes to the Walmart that is half a kilometre east of the station, but there's no connection from there to the station.
Capture1.PNG

Last edited:
I mean I assume 12 will stop on street on Centennial beside the GO station so you can have a short walking connection, but yea, it would be useful to hit the bus terminal itself.

His comment didn’t mention anything about the Hamilton GO Centre.

Sorry about that, didn't even realize. Swapped that in my head w/West Harbour because I hadn't heard anyone mention Hamilton GO in ages; and because you had mentioned West Harbour. My bad.

Thanks
Looks like duct work from the switch to the switchbox still has to be done or for a signal mast that is to be installed where the metal rods(?) are.

Otherwise, it looks the same as I saw it a few weeks ago with work completed on the signal boxes.

Interesting to contrast this work with the grading and drainage going in on the Metrolinx owned lines, where there is not only sound fencing but large rocks in the drainage ditches.

I would expect another layer of rock to be poured as subgrade, likely with geotextile under it. That grading is a good first step but not ready for track.

Watch for panelised switches to appear or be staged somewhere nearby.

- Paul

Back