News   Apr 30, 2024
 163     0 
News   Apr 30, 2024
 607     0 
News   Apr 29, 2024
 1.7K     0 

Wychwood Barns conversion project (Artscape, 1s, DTAH)

Actually under $130 online from Indigo. Even better, they will likely come out with the travel edition some time next year for under $20....

resuscitating this one to ask the following questions--does anyone here visit the Art Barns regularly, and how is the unique space and program mix working out? Is a cross-section of the community really using it? It is a beautiful space indeed. Wonderful example of industrial repurposing. I went to one of the indoor farmers markets about 10 months ago, but was disappointed that most of the venders were selling highly marked up yuppie-oriented boutique products. I hope that it turns more into a regular farmers market where we can buy all manner of fruits, veggies, and stuff for good prices serving the broader neighbourhood rather than niche oriented for the elite of the area. I can't comment on the art being made and shown there, but the artists residential units sounds like a great idea.

I hope that it turns more into a regular farmers market where we can buy all manner of fruits, veggies, and stuff for good prices serving the broader neighbourhood rather than niche oriented for the elite of the area.

Well, the area does have the elite. Augmented by the broader-still demographic "neighbourhood" of the city and beyond.

I know what you mean; but in the meantime, I can't see the market collapsing on its own Zoomerphilic petard...

I hear TTC will be shipping one of the CLRV to the barn so it can be put on display when they start phasing them out in 2015.

With arts organization Artscape in receivership, there is concern that cultural facilities and artists’ residences across Toronto, including the prominent and beloved Wychwood Barns, are at risk.

Local city councillor Josh Matlow addressed the Wychwood issue in a recent statement.

“I am happy to report that Mayor Olivia Chow is actively working toward a resolution to protect both the residential tenants and the business operators and artists who would be impacted by Artscape’s failure,” said Matlow.

Furthermore, a fundraiser has been launched at Canadahelps.org to maintain the operations of Artscape’s artist affordable housing, live/work studios and community spaces, all of which play a crucial role in nurturing Toronto’s vibrant artistic scene.

“Locally, I am working closely with the Wychwood Barns Community Association to support the tenants, but also to ensure that the many events that our community values, such as the farmers market, continue for many years to come,” explained Matlow. “I will be certain to provide an update once I hear more from the mayor’s office.”

Artscape, as of August 2023, managed 14 projects, including live/work spaces, community cultural hubs and the renowned Artscape Daniels Launchpad (ADL), which fosters creative sector entrepreneurship.

With a portfolio of 265 affordable rental and ownership spaces for artists and artist-led families, along with 125 commercial tenancy spaces, Artscape serves as a cornerstone of Toronto’s cultural landscape.

In a statement on Sept. 5, Artscape expressed gratitude for the support of the City of Toronto, TD Bank, other lenders, funders and the community.

“Collaborative efforts are underway to explore solutions that allow these essential creative spaces to continue their support for artists and creatives while addressing the financial challenges at hand,” the statement reads, in part.

The Wychwood Barns is a former streetcar facility that was repurposed as an arts and cultural centre and a popular event venue in 2008.

The Barns includes spaces for 26 artist live/work studios, 15 artist work studios and nine non-profit arts and environmental organizations.

Ongoing maintenance and repairs at the southern end of the property

20240317_155621.jpg
20240317_155649.jpg
20240317_155746.jpg

@AlbertC have you heard anything recent about the impact here re: Artscape's woes?

I just binged the latest season (4) of NETFLIX's "Blown Away" which is a terrific glass blowing/sculpting artists competition ... all shot in Hamilton in the largest hot shop in North America (built/staffed with help from Sheridan College and sadly only used 3 months a year for the series).

The head of Sheridan's glass blowing honours program just sent me a link for a studio called Playing with Fire 🔥 located at Wychwood Barns which offers 2 hour introductory classes in glass blowing/sculpting at very reasonable prices.

If any of you at UT were like me,... blown away by "Blown Away"... and want a taste, the studio link is below:

https://playingwithfire.ca/

@AlbertC have you heard anything recent about the impact here re: Artscape's woes?

I just binged the latest season (4) of NETFLIX's "Blown Away" which is a terrific glass blowing/sculpting artists competition ... all shot in Hamilton in the largest hot shop in North America (built/staffed with help from Sheridan College and sadly only used 3 months a year for the series).

The head of Sheridan's glass blowing honours program just sent me a link for a studio called Playing with Fire 🔥 located at Wychwood Barns which offers 2 hour introductory classes in glass blowing/sculpting at very reasonable prices.

If any of you at UT were like me,... blown away by "Blown Away"... and want a taste, the studio link is below:

I don't have any personal insights but there's some mention of the Wychwood Barns in this Jan 2024 article about Artscape:

The Wychwood excerpts:

In November, Artscape and the city revealed that a new non-profit, ArtHubs Toronto Inc., would use funding from the city and private donors to take over operations at Artscape’s community hubs. Those include Artscape Gibraltar Point, on the Toronto Islands; its Regent Park community arts centre, Daniels Spectrum; and its Wychwood Barns facility, which hosts events and houses live-work studios and non-profit groups. The filings say that ArtHubs is “in negotiations with a non-profit arts institution to provide a working capital loan.”

Artscape is seeking court approval for that asset transfer. It is also seeking approval for its associated housing non-profit, Artscape Non-Profit Homes Inc., to take over operations of its rental-housing sites. Artscape Non-Profit Homes already ran Artscape’s social-housing operations at Wychwood Barns and a Queen Street West location, and under the new proposal would oversee other facilities, including the Parkdale Arts and Cultural Centre.

According to the filings, the $21-million owed to TD comes from four separate loans: $4.6-million from an operating loan, $2.4-million tied to Artscape’s Wychwood Barns facilities, $14-million that appears to be tied to Launchpad – its TD mortgage was valued at $14.4-million in 2021 – and a small amount of credit-card debt.

I haven't caught the latest season of Blown Away yet, but have seen everything up until that so far. It's a surprisingly fun show that wasn't expected by many to do well as it's so niche… …but it's the niche that makes it so interesting in the first place, as far as I'm concerned. My dad worked for Waterford Crystal Canada for years, so I was introduced to blown glass at a young age, and even had a chance to tour the factory in Ireland way back when, so I was really pleased to see Blown Away show up on Netflix, and then to do better than expected and go on for multiple seasons!

Besides at Wychwood and at Sheridan College, one can also take glass-blowing at Sir Sandford Fleming College's (oh, wait a minute, it's just Fleming College now, attention spans and all…) Haliburton Campus. Very scenic.

Back