News   Apr 26, 2024
 36     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 398     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     4 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

Harper praised King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia when he died. They don't even let women drive!

What's your point? This thread isn't about Harper, nor am I defending any of Harper's actions as prime minister. Bringing up Harper doesn't absolve Trudeau of his poor judgement.

Re Saudi Arabia and women not being allowed to drive: if you want to go down that road, one can say Trudeau is content with trading and giving money to nations like that which murder gay people for being themselves. Rationalizing poor judgement because so and so is guilty of similar things is nonsensical.

Last edited:
What's your point? This thread isn't about Harper, nor am I defending any of Harper's actions as prime minister. Bringing up Harper doesn't absolve Trudeau of his poor judgement.

Re Saudi Arabia and women not being allowed to drive: if you want to go down that road, one can say Trudeau is content with trading and giving money to nations like that which murder gay people for being themselves. Rationalizing poor judgement because so and so is guilty of similar things is nonsensical.
I think he's just parodying the outrage people have when it suitable for them.

Regardless, the Liberals need to get their act together. They are making too many dumb mistakes and generally are not (giving the appearance of) making significant progress on the big files.

On mistakes ............ I think the biggest ones are of the same character as the Wynne government, perhaps by way of Gerald Butts? Which is the appearance of hubris, and the failure to admit to 'bad optics' if nothing else. (I'm thinking of the recent fundraising 'scandal')

On the big files, I'm really awaiting much of their platform.

We have yet to see any move on expanded parental leave, there haven't yet been any significant expansions of ocean/land protection that were committed to, electoral reform has thus far gone nowhere,
and we have yet to see the marijuana legislation.

None of these are unto themselves crucial to me; but the Libs do appear to be dithering a bit.

I would add I think the Conservative move in the Senate to call out the strange changes Liberals made in their 'middle class tax cut' and related files was an unusually smart one.

They straight-up called the Liberals on the fact they gave the largest benefit to the wealthiest folks, rather than those in the middle or at the low-end of the income range.

Let's be honest, few would expect the Conservatives in power to do better; but the Liberals did commit to doing better.

This puts them in an awkward spot.

All that said, I will give them full credit for getting a CPP deal done, that on balance is a good one; and also for a child benefit that is slightly less dubious than the one it replaced.

They haven't been awful. I would argue and improvement on their predecessors, on balance.

But much remains expected, and as yet, unfulfilled.

This is topical.

Attachments

• castro.jpg
    castro.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 145
Adam Stirling
@Adam_Stirling

Brian Jean's folded now too. Kenney, Ambrose, Jean, Alexander (ish) all denouncing what took place. Golly.

This is regarding the Alberta rally. I don't think that Canada is immune from this global rise in populism, but I just don't see a far-right or alt-right movement making an impact here.

This is regarding the Alberta rally. I don't think that Canada is immune from this global rise in populism, but I just don't see a far-right or alt-right movement making an impact here.

Never say never (RoFo) but nothing make Canadians recoil more than being reminded that they politician can behave like someone from the US. It maybe knee-jerk Anti-Americanism, but it is a powerful force that is almost ingrained in our political psyche.

AoD

It was a rally organized by Rebel Media, Ezra Levant's attempt at creating Breibart News North (his Fox News North, Sun News, died, but it's easier to keep a website going). People were bused in (an accusation often made by the right against left-leaning protests).

Liberals still enjoy wide lead in current polls...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/grenier-quarterly-polls-nov2016-1.3883456

Over the last quarter, the Liberals have averaged 47.9 per cent support in national polls, a marginal gain over the previous quarter but up 8.4 points compared to election night. The Conservatives have averaged 28.7 per cent, down 3.2 points from the election, while the New Democrats have slipped 7.1 points to just 12.6 per cent support nationwide.

I was surprised that they didn't have lower numbers after that awful week.

It was a rally organized by Rebel Media, Ezra Levant's attempt at creating Breibart News North (his Fox News North, Sun News, died, but it's easier to keep a website going). People were bused in (an accusation often made by the right against left-leaning protests).

Is there a big enough market for that kind of media in Canada?

Back