News   Apr 25, 2024
 324     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

PATH Network Expansion (various, various, various)

I get that multi-level thing in appropriate places, but I still cannot fathom how it could all add up to 30 km.

It's 1.4 km from WaterPark Place to City Hall.

I live halfway between Bloor and The Queensway on the west side of the Humber, and it's exactly a 10 km walk from there to City Hall. Three times that distance within the PATH system? Not a chance.

As with many other things, size is not everything. PATH is certainly a rather large, quite useful and too confusing place that is particularly handy on days like today.

It would be nice if they put up signs stating what street you are passing under - that would help the wayfinding greatly.

It normally does. And the city owns this space so they could actually dictate route finding under the streets (of course these are choke points so you want to be careful not to have people stopping here to look at a map).

There is route finding already there. Blue arrows are north (and other colours tell you which direction to go). Maybe a small letter dictating the direction within the arrow would help (N-E-S-W). But of course the bilingual do-gooders would insist on French as well which would dilute the wayfinding.

There is route finding already there. Blue arrows are north (and other colours tell you which direction to go). .

There is route finding already there. Blue arrows are north (and other colours tell you which direction to go). Maybe a small letter dictating the direction within the arrow would help (N-E-S-W). But of course the bilingual do-gooders would insist on French as well which would dilute the wayfinding.

Actually the maps have N, S, E and W already.

PATH.jpg

I have never heard complaints from 'bilingual do-gooders but maybe they are simply lost?

Attachments

• PATH.jpg
    PATH.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 794
I get that multi-level thing in appropriate places, but I still cannot fathom how it could all add up to 30 km.

It's 1.4 km from WaterPark Place to City Hall.

I live halfway between Bloor and The Queensway on the west side of the Humber, and it's exactly a 10 km walk from there to City Hall. Three times that distance within the PATH system? Not a chance.

You'd be even more incredulous at the length of the Montreal system. It's said to be 32 km long. I don't have a lot of trouble believing the 30 km figure. The Metro Hall block, for example, probably has close to a kilometre of PATH walkways alone. If you look at a map like this one, you can see that there are dozens of small hallways that you might not even notice when you're there. Those add up.

Montreal's system being 32 km long is at least 2 kilometres worth of bullshit more than Toronto's line of BS regarding the length of our system, since Guinness recognizes our bullshit as world-leading over Montreal's. The whole effort of the two cities to measure it and and compete for the title is an indication that every 2 metre-long bump-out from a main hall is being counted and added to the mix in order to have a longer one than the other guy's.

The dozens of little halls argument doesn't add up to me. I still say there's ample padding in the numbers down below. I am intimately acquainted with it all, having gone over it very thoroughly over the years, and it's not that long.

Taken yesterday on my cell. The new spacious PATH @ Harbour Plaza. You also get a good view of 60 Harbour/30 Bay St whenever that comes into fruition.
2016-02-13 16.59.29.jpg

2016-02-13 16.56.49.jpg
2016-02-13 17.04.24.jpg
2016-02-13 17.03.48.jpg

Attachments

• 2016-02-13 16.59.29.jpg
    2016-02-13 16.59.29.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 722
  • 2016-02-13 16.56.49.jpg
    2016-02-13 16.56.49.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 733
  • 2016-02-13 17.04.24.jpg
    2016-02-13 17.04.24.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 734
  • 2016-02-13 17.03.48.jpg
    2016-02-13 17.03.48.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 729
Walked through the PATH from Maple Leaf Square to the Eaton Centre an hour ago. I guess the PATH signage is so bad that they had people holding signs everywhere in the PATH to tell tourists how to get to their hotels from the ACC. It worked pretty well.

Montreal's system being 32 km long is at least 2 kilometres worth of bullshit more than Toronto's line of BS regarding the length of our system, since Guinness recognizes our bullshit as world-leading over Montreal's. The whole effort of the two cities to measure it and and compete for the title is an indication that every 2 metre-long bump-out from a main hall is being counted and added to the mix in order to have a longer one than the other guy's.

The dozens of little halls argument doesn't add up to me. I still say there's ample padding in the numbers down below. I am intimately acquainted with it all, having gone over it very thoroughly over the years, and it's not that long.

The only way I can see this as being the longest in the world is if you include all of the staff only/service passageways. In the TD complex alone, there are corridors going well beyond where the general public can go. Technically it's all still a part of the PATH system since they never mentioned it has to be accessed by everyone.

The calculation of PATH's length should only be for the sections open to the public, after all, what else is PATH but a network that allows the pubic access to the concourse areas of building after building? The areas where the public is not welcomed in, are not really PATH, even if they support it, so should not be part of what is measured.

It normally does. And the city owns this space so they could actually dictate route finding under the streets (of course these are choke points so you want to be careful not to have people stopping here to look at a map).

But the city doesn't own it. The building owners do. And it took years of negotiation for all the parties to agree to the current system came into use in the early '90s. You have to remember that the building owners have a vested interest in making it hard for you to leave their buildings and walk away from their tenants' businesses.

Back