News   Apr 25, 2024
 385     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Blue Jays

Hearing so much hype everyday now about the Jays. You can't escape the Jays hype if you from Toronto. Not a baseball fan, but does all this hype matter if it's only the regular season? Huge NBA fan, so I know never to trust in regular season success.

You know the Jays are hot when a thread that hasn't had any action for 3 years (last post before this week's is from 2012) is suddenly revived.

Second attempt this season to break the franchise's 11-game winning streak record tonight, but more importantly, a win over NYY. Yanks finally found their bats last night. Hopefully they left them in Cleveland.

Wow, over 2.5 seasons since the last set of posts right after the trade with the Marlins. Going into the 2013 season, Toronto was the favourite to win the World Series. That didn't happen, not even close. Less optimism for 2014, same dismal year. Two-thirds of the way through the 2015 season, following some incredible trades including the addition of Donaldson in the off-season and last week's activity that brought in Tulo(!) and Price (!!), the Jays are currently in a 3-way tie for the second wild card spot and 5.5 games behind NYY in the AL East. The Jays have been hot since shipping out Reyes, and are pumped and set to make a run for their first playoff appearance since '93. There hasn't been this much excitement around the team since the trades with the Marlins and Mets.

So, will they actually make the playoffs this year, even if it's just the wild-card game? Price's performance yesterday was spectacular, which followed Dickey's great start on Sunday (who hasn't given up an earned run in 20+ innings). Buehrle is Buehrle. The engine of the team, their bats, is still firing on all cylinders. Holes in the defence have been patched up (and throws from short will now make it to first). Bullpen has improved with Sanchez, Hawkins and Howe now in there. Revere stole 49 bags last year.

I think their chances of post-season play are high. And in surrendering 11 prospects last week, mostly pitching (I am saddened to see Norris go), I hope they play October baseball because they did give up a chunk of the future.

Ugh. Comments like this (bolded) show just how disconnected Toronto baseball fans are with reality. 2014 may not have begun with anywhere near the optimism of 2013 however in 2014 they were in 1'st place on Jul 3 of that season and it took a spectacular run of 66-37 by the Baltimore from 6 games out to winning the division that year (a .640 winning %). To say that 2014 was not an exciting or entertaining season, despite the disappointing final results simply ignores what happened throughout the 162 game season.

Assuming the Jays can make something of this run, that "Edwing" thing that Edwin Encarnacion does when he hits a home run will be a lasting iconic image of the 2015 Blue Jays

I haven't watched the Jays since the Joe Carter, Alomar days. Recently I saw some highlights and couldn't believe the Skydome (Rogers center?) was packed even in the upper decks and homerun sections, like the world series days. WOW!

I haven't watched the Jays since the Joe Carter, Alomar days. Recently I saw some highlights and couldn't believe the Skydome (Rogers center?) was packed even in the upper decks and homerun sections, like the world series days. WOW!
They will (likely) do something they have not done in the 21st century.....finish in the top ten in major league attendance (currently sit 11th)

Do you think Tulowitzki is done for the season?
We will see. Press conference scheduled for tomorrow. I am also worried about Encarnacion

Back