News   Apr 24, 2024
 532     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 724     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 523     0 

Blue Jays

The Marlins trade was a great deal. But Melky Cabrera?! I think Alex undid a lot of the goodwill he got from the Marlins trade (which included shipping out Yunel ('Tu es maricon') Escobar). Why sign an acknowledged (and suspended) cheater who hit .345 in the year he was caught cheating, but otherwise has a .284 career batting average and only 69 home runs in 7 full seasons? If Cabrera plays well, there will always be the question that he is cheating. If he returns to his career averages (.284, 10 hr), well, those numbers are truly average.

I don't think there's any problem with signing Melky. Who cares if people suspect he's cheating? Is anyone complaining about the Giants winning the World Series despite taking advantage of Melky's season to even get into the playoffs? And the fact is, many players are cheating throughout a variety of means, he just happened to get caught.

Oh and by the way, that career batting average of .284 would have lead the team this past year. I also don't think there's much evidence that PED's enhance performance that much. We weren't talking about a Brady Anderson type of season here. Even if he performs half as well as his last two seasons (where he was a 4+WAR player) you're looking at a left fielder that is better than anything the Jays have trotted out there in ages.

Everyone: I was stunned by the huge Blue Jays-Marlins deal and I feel that the Jays automatically made themselves stronger for 2013...

I also knew that Melky Cabrera would find another team after the dissapointments of 2012...He could also help the Jays be competitive
in the strong AL East...Everyone deserves a second chance and Melky needs an opportunity for redemption after what happened...

All the Blue Jays need is a solid manager...Would Cito Gaston consider one more year at the helm? This may be fun...like 1992-1993 were...

I am a member of this interesting baseball website: www.baseball-fever.com and to note what is currently going on look in
the Current Events,Toronto Blue Jays and Miami Marlins sections...This website has plenty of other interesting baseball topics...

This trade and signing probably has energized the Blue Jays fan base and 2013 may be a interesting year at the Rogers Skydome...

LI MIKE

Last edited:
The 12-player trade with the Marlins is now official: http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/new...19&content_id=40363638&vkey=news_tor&c_id=tor

In other baseball news: the World Baseball Classic returns in 2013. Canada has qualified, although there will be no games in Toronto this time around (I saw the Canada-USA game at the Rogers Centre at the last WBC). The first round is in Fukuoka, Taichung, San Juan and Phoenix. Second round in Tokyo and Miami. Finals in San Francisco. The first two WBCs were won by Japan.

http://mlb.mlb.com/wbc/2013/index.jsp

Last edited:
Really excited about the megatrade - but John Gibbons? Really? Granted he made the biggest impact of any manager since Cito Gaston, he is stikll a manager that doesnt get along with his players, which in the past - proved to be troublesome. Hope Gibbons comes into this season with a cool head instead of benching star players because he doesnt like them, or starting fights in the dugout or dressing room.

Really excited about the megatrade - but John Gibbons? Really? Granted he made the biggest impact of any manager since Cito Gaston, he is stikll a manager that doesnt get along with his players, which in the past - proved to be troublesome. Hope Gibbons comes into this season with a cool head instead of benching star players because he doesnt like them, or starting fights in the dugout or dressing room.

Shea Hillenbrand and Ted Lilley were star players? Who knew?

I don't think there's any problem with signing Melky. Who cares if people suspect he's cheating? Is anyone complaining about the Giants winning the World Series despite taking advantage of Melky's season to even get into the playoffs? And the fact is, many players are cheating throughout a variety of means, he just happened to get caught.

Oh and by the way, that career batting average of .284 would have lead the team this past year. I also don't think there's much evidence that PED's enhance performance that much. We weren't talking about a Brady Anderson type of season here. Even if he performs half as well as his last two seasons (where he was a 4+WAR player) you're looking at a left fielder that is better than anything the Jays have trotted out there in ages.

I don't think it's any coincidence that he became a far better hitter once he started taking PEDs. The evidence would suggest that PEDs can help hitters quite significantly.

He could still hit well, I'm just not sure it was a great clubhouse signing. I guess we'll see how it goes.

Shea Hillenbrand and Ted Lilley were star players? Who knew?

No but he benched Frank Thomas for hitting .167 early in the season when he was kind of well known for having early season slumps and coming back huge. Hillenbrand and Lilley were B+ players that didn't know how to keep their mouths shut, but for Frank Thomas, you gotta make a few exceptions. Iduno, no point arguing about what happened several seasons ago when the team has such a bright future for the coming season.

Wow, over 2.5 seasons since the last set of posts right after the trade with the Marlins. Going into the 2013 season, Toronto was the favourite to win the World Series. That didn't happen, not even close. Less optimism for 2014, same dismal year. Two-thirds of the way through the 2015 season, following some incredible trades including the addition of Donaldson in the off-season and last week's activity that brought in Tulo(!) and Price (!!), the Jays are currently in a 3-way tie for the second wild card spot and 5.5 games behind NYY in the AL East. The Jays have been hot since shipping out Reyes, and are pumped and set to make a run for their first playoff appearance since '93. There hasn't been this much excitement around the team since the trades with the Marlins and Mets.

So, will they actually make the playoffs this year, even if it's just the wild-card game? Price's performance yesterday was spectacular, which followed Dickey's great start on Sunday (who hasn't given up an earned run in 20+ innings). Buehrle is Buehrle. The engine of the team, their bats, is still firing on all cylinders. Holes in the defence have been patched up (and throws from short will now make it to first). Bullpen has improved with Sanchez, Hawkins and Howe now in there. Revere stole 49 bags last year.

I think their chances of post-season play are high. And in surrendering 11 prospects last week, mostly pitching (I am saddened to see Norris go), I hope they play October baseball because they did give up a chunk of the future.

I was at the game yesterday. My first game since the dark decade of the 00's. Great atmosphere, great fans. Ticket, beer, popcorn and pre-game hot dog on Front came to about $40.

If a similar thread exists I apologize, but I was in town recently and caught a Jays victory over the Twins... Rogers Centre was louder and fuller than I can remember; ESPN and various US press are doing various exposes on the team, and yet I'm nonplussed as to why there is no chat on UT about the team? The Jays look well on their way to at least clinching a wild-card birth (or seriously contending); does anyone here watch or root for them in a serious way? I'm asking because if this team is as good as I think they are, there could be 10's of millions of North Americans watching TO playing ball this late-Autumn, with plenty of slick cutaway shots of the skyline... Thoughts?

Count me in as one of the people who are really excited! I went to a game in July and am going to the sold out one on Saturday.

i have noticed a lot more people in the pubs watching the games. The past few weeks the crowds have been insane. Tonight the bar was packed with Jays fans and it's just a Tuesday night. Imagine what it will be like if they make the playoffs!

All the games from Thursday to Sunday are sold out. Looking at TicketMaster's website, it seems there will be just as many in attendance tonight as yesterday (37,000+). I typically go to about 15 games a season, usually deciding the day of to go, and just walk up to the box office. Now and for the rest of the season I may have to buy them online and plan the games I want to see.

Being able to catch a game where Price starts would be awesome! The rotation will be in a state of flux depending on matchups and home/road games (and a possible return of Stroman in September!) making it somewhat hard to predict who will be starting a few weeks down the road. Oh well, I'll just have to go to as many as possible, and if the Jays continue to perform as they have (12-0 with Tulo starting) I will be broke very soon. I hate giving money to Rogers, but it's been too long since they've had a real chance at the post-season.

Back