News   Apr 25, 2024
 326     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

2015 Federal Election

Many many people I've talked to wanted to attend lectures from Chow this upcoming year. They are going to be awfully disappointed.

Maybe Adam Vaughan might get a "Visiting Professor" position at Ryerson, as a consolation prize. Third place would get this lovely bouquet.
7a3353f5914f27a4c6cac65d367a0b7b.jpg

I've lost any respect for Vaughan. He didn't serve out his term either. I'm not all that thrilled with an Olivia Chow comeback, but I think his attacks on her are really classless and desperate. Soft NDPers made up a significant proportion of his municipal base and in the by-election it wouldn't surprise me if a third of his support had come from that group. These vitriolic attacks, plus his vote for C-51, are likely to do him in.

The NDP is also way ahead nationally - this is a riding that could go for either party but the national trend favors the NDP.

He didn't serve out his term, but he also didn't go running back to the job he once had after losing, making his stepping down a completely pointless affair.

I agree though. Attacking her isn't the way to go. Let others do the attacking, as is already happening on her Facebook page and over Twitter. There's no need for him to do the dirty work as the public is already doing it.

Maybe Adam Vaughan might get a "Visiting Professor" position at Ryerson, as a consolation prize.

Don't rule out a mayoral run vs John Tory in 2018, either. (NB: I'm factoring Rob Ford, or *any* Ford, out of the picture)

Don't rule out a mayoral run vs John Tory in 2018, either. (NB: I'm factoring Rob Ford, or *any* Ford, out of the picture)

Doubt it. I've had quite a few talks with him and Mayor isn't something he is interested in. Wouldn't be surprised if he got back into journalism.

Thank you Eglinton-Lawrence Liberals for restoring some of my faith in the party. If only Scarborough-Southwest could have turned Blair down as their candidate too.

The Liberals just seemed way too eager to take out Dan Harris, who took the seat from the Liberals. Bill Bliar, if he was going to run for the Liberals, should have picked a Conservative to take out, and run in Scarborough Centre.

As for Olivia Chow, I I can't say that I'm that thrilled to see her run again, even though I'll be supporting my local NDP candidate (I'm in Toronto Centre, and it's an easy choice to back Linda McQuaig over Bill Morneau, a very conservative Liberal). I like Olivia, but she ran a dreadful campaign for mayor of Toronto and I strongly believe she was pressured to run (which counters the "opportunist" label). I heard that a well-known lawyer was going to run for the NDP in Trinity-Fort York, and that Olivia was happy to work at Ryerson, until the "draft Chow" campaign got into full swing. I think Adam Vaughan is the type of MP the Liberals need, despite his willingness to go along with the C-51 fiasco.

The Liberals just seemed way too eager to take out Dan Harris, who took the seat from the Liberals. Bill Bliar, if he was going to run for the Liberals, should have picked a Conservative to take out, and run in Scarborough Centre.

As for Olivia Chow, I I can't say that I'm that thrilled to see her run again, even though I'll be supporting my local NDP candidate (I'm in Toronto Centre, and it's an easy choice to back Linda McQuaig over Bill Morneau, a very conservative Liberal). I like Olivia, but she ran a dreadful campaign for mayor of Toronto and I strongly believe she was pressured to run (which counters the "opportunist" label). I heard that a well-known lawyer was going to run for the NDP in Trinity-Fort York, and that Olivia was happy to work at Ryerson, until the "draft Chow" campaign got into full swing. I think Adam Vaughan is the type of MP the Liberals need, despite his willingness to go along with the C-51 fiasco.

Actually I'm quite disappointed that Olivia Chow was basically appointed as the candidate. No nomination meeting had been set until Mulcair came to town and said Olivia was running, and then she was the candidate. The NDP has long prided itself that unlike the other two parties, candidates are never appointed.

The candidate who was planning to run was James Lockyer. You'd think the NDP would be thrilled to have someone of his caliber running for them, somewhere:

http://www.lcp-law.com/lawyer-bios/james-lockyer/

If they are calling this early to get extra $ for the election, the electorate will take the same kind of revenge on the Tories, that they took on David Peterson in 1990.

Last edited:
So Vaughan now wants to be the candidate of Bay St.? Good luck with that!

Vaughan says the NDP has lost its strongest part of the riding, in the north, home of the most fervent opposition to Bill C-51, the “flat” neighbourhood he describes as home to Margaret Atwood and University of Toronto professors and lawyers.

The new parts of the riding are those high-rises where the NDP call for a national daycare program is met with shrugs by singles and childless couples. Eight per cent of the voters in the riding have children, he says.

The natural NDP constituency, he believes, is swimming up to the Junction and Black Creek, and the gentrified condo constituency is tied to Bay Street, not Queen Street.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2015/07/28/no-easy-return-home-for-olivia-chow-tim-harper.html

Back