2.8K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.9K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
What signs have people seen? I passed by DMW's ward on the way home and saw his signs and some for a school trustee. In my ward, I saw some Michael Thompson signs. No Ford ones in sight.

I was in Mammoliti's ward at around 2 am last night, and by then he had already planted massive signs everywhere along every major road. I'm talking large signs with tall wooden posts, nothing smaller than that. Many properties had not one but least three of them side by side, whereas other candidates didn't have nearly as many. I think Mammo's strategy was to canvass every house or building along major roads and put the signs there where it's more visible compared to side streets. But I have to wonder how his team put so many signs in such a short period of time.

Hmmm... cleavage... no wonder it's hard to look away. :)

lmao

Harris and the Harrisites (is that name taken for a band yet?) did have a large part to do with it. While I do wonder if the urban\suburban resentments was always there and just outed more recently, or did it worsen with the increasing wealth gap, I doubt I can find definitive proof, because those things can not be polled with any honesty. Anecdotally speaking at least, I don't quite remember the feeling of a turf war inside the city this much. I mean some of the stuff lately is getting too close to "let them eat cake" and "let those bastards freeze to death" level of ignorance and vitriol. And I'm talking about TO residents here.

For 14 years we have had "folks" in Etobicoke voting for what they think is best for "folks" in Scarborough, and vice versa. Folks downtown voting for what is best for North York, and vice versa. As if they would know, or even care.

And we wonder why Rob ( and maybe Doug ) get elected to represent us.

Last edited:
Harris and the Harrisites (is that name taken for a band yet?) did have a large part to do with it.
While I do wonder if the urban\suburban resentments was always there and just outed more recently, or did it worsen with the increasing wealth gap, I doubt I can find definitive proof, because those things can not be polled with any honesty. Anecdotally speaking at least, I don't quite remember the feeling of a turf war inside the city this much. I mean some of the stuff lately is getting too close to "let them eat cake" and "let those bastards freeze to death" level of ignorance and vitriol. And I'm talking about TO residents here.

There was some talk of Toronto "seceding" from Metro in the mid-90s, serious enough that Metro took out ads with messages like "whether I'm riding the subway or driving the DVP, it's all Metro to me." Well, maybe it didn't rhyme perfectly but that was the idea. The old city had the dense tax base that paid for the build-out of the former townships when Metro was created, but by the mid-90s there was a property tax battle where residents of the outer Metro municipalities complained that city assessments were too low and they felt that they were paying more than their share. I'm sure I haven't got all the details quite right and if someone can summarize it better please go ahead. The bottom line was that the City / suburb divide was already simmering 20 years ago and it was really brought back to life by the Ford regime.

lmao

For 14 years we have had "folks" in Etobicoke voting for what they think is best for "folks" in Scarborough, and vice versa. Folks downtown voting for what is best for North York, and vice versa. As if they would know, or even care.

And we wonder why Rob ( and maybe Doug ) get elected to represent us.

A serious question: Is there any way for you guys to de-amalgamate? It seems that the suburanators hate the Latteists, so why not amicably divorce and let the Folks Nation types do as they want, while letting the educated Downtown Elites to progress unhindered? I'd be pissed if the asshole parasite/bedroom communities (complete with cowboy silhouettes and front lawn wagon wheels, no shit!) around Calgary could dictate our City's civic policy.

Last edited:
Quite shocking to see that Ford has 25% support downtown.

Insanity can be found all over the city. :p

It IS shocking. And Scarborough is not surprising because, hey, subways!
But North York really helped swing Rob last time and Doug is getting killed there. The 16% is SHOCKING, especially compared to downtown. And when you consider that Forum has been over-estimating the Fords the whole time....it's encouraging.

There was some talk of Toronto "seceding" from Metro in the mid-90s, serious enough that Metro took out ads with messages like "whether I'm riding the subway or driving the DVP, it's all Metro to me." Well, maybe it didn't rhyme perfectly but that was the idea. The old city had the dense tax base that paid for the build-out of the former townships when Metro was created, but by the mid-90s there was a property tax battle where residents of the outer Metro municipalities complained that city assessments were too low and they felt that they were paying more than their share. I'm sure I haven't got all the details quite right and if someone can summarize it better please go ahead. The bottom line was that the City / suburb divide was already simmering 20 years ago and it was really brought back to life by the Ford regime.

For better or worse, I think Robert Moses had an indirect but significant impact on Metro.

Chairman Gardiner visited Robert Moses for several days in NYC shortly after taking over Metro:

"The thing that impressed me about Moses was the first question he asked me was, 'What the hell are you going to do about that mess up there now that you're in charge of it?' I had to think fast, but I knew what to say. I said I was going to be like Stalin. I'd have a five or ten-year plan and I'd lay out exactly what I had and how I was going to spend it and I'd know exactly where the money was going.
His only comment was, 'Never mind those high-minded advisors. Keep your staff small. Don't let them boss you around. Hire them when you want them and fire them when you want. Make them work for you, and not the other way around.'
He didn't have to convince me. That was how I intended to proceed. I was going to run my own show. That's why they called me the bulldozer."

A serious question: Is there any way for you guys to de-amalgamate? It seems that the suburanators hate the Latteists, so why not amicably divorce and let the Folks Nation types do as they want, while letting the educated Downtown Elites to progress unhindered? I'd be pissed if the asshole parasite/bedroom communities (complete with cowboy silhouettes and front long wagon wheels, no shit!) around Calgary could dictate our City's civic policy.

The provincial govenment can reshape boundaries as they see fit, but deamalgamation would be a remarkably stupid idea. Amalgamation has been going on in Toronto for 150 years - no need to go back to four levels of government just because a one-term failure is class-baiting.

I was in 35, 36 and 43 today and saw a lot of Crawford signs, including some he himself was putting out. I was also in whatever ward is in the Coxwell/Gerrard area and saw some Chow and Tory signs. A few Ford signs in the Kingston and McCowan areas, too. What struck me as funny was that every sign I saw had the full name of every person except the Ford ones. They definitely planned this a while back but I'm sure they didn't expect Rob to have to pull out due to cancer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back