2.7K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.8K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 10K     10 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think we'll see an apology til after the election - this way he can use the libel case as a reason to not engage the media for both Rob and Mikey. He'll try to use this position as a "surfboard of sympathy" - but I think it will really backfire with everyone and even a little bit of Ford Nation - and when they all lose - they will be able to wash their hands and blame the "biased media" for the Ford family being shut out of politics.

Meantime, does anyone else find the Star's bomb-threat coverage strangely muted? "Rob Ford discloses threat..." My guess is they're following an internal policy on coverage of threats to avoid giving attention to the threatener. Still, I feel the pull of the tin foil. Thoughts?
CBC radio covered it, but not in much detail at all. I like to think the media is reporting because they have to but that they are rolling their eyes as they are doing it and not giving the threat much attention at all.

Doug will do exactly what Rob did with Daniel Dale. He will double down on the libel 5 or 6 times. He will use the media to get his message out again and again. At the last minute, he will read a statement retracting everything. Ford Nation will remember the 5 or 6 times he claimed it was political and the Chief was out to get him. The apology will get lost in the shuffle.

So, with the Fords' history of receiving 'threats' every time something bad is in the pipeline for them, and they could use a convenient distraction that allows them to play the victim, can we safely assume that Blair going ahead with his legal action against Thug might - just might, mind you - have something to do with yesterday's so-called bomb scare? You know, the one that neither the media nor the police (nor the Fords, for that matter) seem to be treating seriously at all?

'Folks, I'm the one who's getting bomb threats, my life is in danger ... and what does the chief of police do? He sues me! I get no respect, I tell ya'.

Am I mistaken in thinking Rob got served yesterday too? Thought I saw that somewhere but now I can't find it. If so, surprised there's no Twitter buzz on that too.

Doug will do exactly what Rob did with Daniel Dale. He will double down on the libel 5 or 6 times. He will use the media to get his message out again and again. At the last minute, he will read a statement retracting everything. Ford Nation will remember the 5 or 6 times he claimed it was political and the Chief was out to get him. The apology will get lost in the shuffle.

But the more he reiterates the libel, the more reason Blair has to pursue him in court, right? I mean, if Doug repeats the libel, can't Blair say at a certain that an apology won't be enough for him, that he is suing for damages?

I'm pretty sure that if Doug keeps spewing now that he has the notice that these each become new occurrences - or mezzanines to the original suit.

Meantime, does anyone else find the Star's bomb-threat coverage strangely muted? "Rob Ford discloses threat..." My guess is they're following an internal policy on coverage of threats to avoid giving attention to the threatener. Still, I feel the pull of the tin foil. Thoughts?

There's really not much more for a responsible paper to say about the bomb threat right now. Hopefully they are looking into it though. They really can't print anything without very compelling reasons. The bar is pretty high for journalists with integrity.

An earlier poster pointed out some interesting stylistic things about the bomb threat letter. It would be interesting to compare these to other things that Doug or Rob have written, though that might be hard to come by...

Am I mistaken in thinking Rob got served yesterday too? Thought I saw that somewhere but now I can't find it. If so, surprised there's no Twitter buzz on that too.

Wouldn't that have been something if the whole bomb threat thing was to distract everyone from the real story - just like another David Blaine trick.

There's really not much more for a responsible paper to say about the bomb threat right now. Hopefully they are looking into it though. They really can't print anything without very compelling reasons. The bar is pretty high for journalists with integrity.

/QUOTE]

For sure. I've been working newspapers and magazines for 25 years and, as an editor, I'd be handling this story gingerly. Still, the Star's coverage has been much lighter than it's competitors. I do think this is a policy decision — but I also wonder if they're following up and, if so, how? I guess we'll find (if there's anything to find out.)

Ann Hui ‏@annhui 1m
Mayor Ford giving press conference at 2 pm in Etobicoke

They do need another distraction.

They don't even know what it's about yet, but it needs to happen at the exact same time as the arts debate Rob declined to attend.

But, y'know, Rob doesn't know what he's done to offend so many people.

AM640 ‏@am640 7m
Mayor will address media at 2p. No info other than "Mayor Ford is committed to putting taxpayers first." #TOpoli

It's hard/too easy to make case for a pattern of deflection. That said, I'm sure there are times when they've tried the tactic, but I don't think Blair's notice is one of them.

I am thinking this as well. Wouldn't a bomb threat for diversion come after today's subpeona article?

I am thinking this as well. Wouldn't a bomb threat for diversion come after today's subpeona article?

Maybe not -- perhaps they thought it would be a much larger story, like a lot of people here are wondering about as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back