Toronto Bay Adelaide Centre | 217.92m | 51s | Brookfield | KPMB

The design is a wasted opportunity. Why repeat what has already been done? That's just lazy.

Opportunity for what? Something that doesn't utilize the most efficient module for the use in question? What do you want here? Some "creative" hat? An overly-expensive and under-performing floorpate for the sake of a 'ye-ha-cool shape?'

My own preference for these towers would have been to see a more distinctive exterior on them, one way or another, but I get that your average business wants efficient, boxy floor plates.

Do any companies in Scotia Tower ever complain about its irregular floor plate? Anyone know?

My own preference for these towers would have been to see a more distinctive exterior on them, one way or another, but I get that your average business wants efficient, boxy floor plates.

Do any companies in Scotia Tower ever complain about its irregular floor plate? Anyone know?

The unique design of Scotia Tower provides the possibility of up to 18 "corner offices" per floor - a big selling point when it was built (and I imagine even now). With Bay Adelaide west you have the possibility of 8 corner offices and with Bay Adelaide east the possibility of only 4 corner offices.

Last edited:
Well no. That in itself embodies the general shift away from hierarchical office spaces to ones more egalitarian in nature. Offices, though still highly-striated, don't want to draw distinctions between positions as hard as they did in the past and the move towards more 'boring' and less 'imaginative' floorplates is reflective of that. The idea of having 18, self-contained, 'corner offices' is far less appealing to a business today than it was in the era of Patrick Bateman, but if you still want to live in the past, I'm sure Crayons or Arcadia won't take your reservation.

Last edited:
These are really nice examples of architectural minimalism. I definitely wouldn't want a POMO POS like the original proposal.

Toronto doesn't need another minimalist building. That's all we build in this city. Where is the sense of adventure with our architects? They're all cut from the same modernist cloth.

Opportunity for what? Something that doesn't utilize the most efficient module for the use in question? What do you want here? Some "creative" hat? An overly-expensive and under-performing floorpate for the sake of a 'ye-ha-cool shape?'

Something with some personality. Why must almost every building in this city be so utilitarian and sterile? What's wrong with something that breaks that convention? Is efficiency all that matters? Aren't buildings more than just capsules for containing people? Surely our architects can be a little creative, instead of relying on the same hackneyed design concept. This city needs to get over its love affair with Mies and look for influence elsewhere. Royal Bank Plaza, TD Canada Trust Tower, and Scotia Plaza have unorthodox forms and still manage to meet the needs of their tenants very well.

Last edited:
This city needs to get over its love affair with Mies and look for influence elsewhere.

Looking to forward to seeing your next project. Please make it all twisty or something. And the tallest building ever in the whole universe.

Not groundbreaking but I like how these buildings look on our skyline. Certainly don't look like anything else and look quite good in the rendering posted above. Another 10 storeys each would have been perfect.

There are plenty of buildings you can complain about that are going up right now, but these shouldn't included. These twins are simple, yes, but they're classy and use high quality glass. For office towers, they have a timeless design that should age well. Any city would be happy to have these.

The buildings also create some nice, new spaces. Scotia will be well-framed from the plaza and that place will be pretty neat once the third tower is built. And the treatment of the corner at Yonge looks like it will bring energy to a previously lacklustre intersection.

Looking to forward to seeing your next project. Please make it all twisty or something. And the tallest building ever in the whole universe.

That's not a real argument. Obviously I'm not an architect; but that doesn't mean I can't be critical of what is being built in this city. And who said anything about height? I merely mentioned repetitive design standards.

There are plenty of buildings you can complain about that are going up right now, but these shouldn't included. These twins are simple, yes, but they're classy and use high quality glass. For office towers, they have a timeless design that should age well. Any city would be happy to have these.

I agree, poop (awesome name -- makes me really hungry). I'm more upset about the prominent location this will stand on. This is far from the worst stuff going up; but still boring nonetheless.

Last edited:
Moving away from the subjective... I noticed today that Marché is closed on the concourse level, and a sign shows it will stay closed until the 16th, so that they can carry out works inside it related to the construction.

I imagine Brookfield is paying handsomely for these companies to close and forfeit doing business. I also recently visited the dentist nearby, and they had part of their office blocked off so that temporary supports could be installed.

8 steel columns already installed. Next one will be erected shortly (visible on the webcam), also visible is the new crane base west of the core.

Pretty cool show if you watch the webcam

Here is a screengrab from a minute or so ago:

Q7K2lzx.jpg

Oh the conservative Torontonian. And people wonder why Toronto has an image of unadventurous architecture! You need to get past the idea that "ye-ha-cool shapes" are bad, and pure efficiency somehow add to the public realm, and start to embrace some imagination and excitement.

Back