Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

Could this be the beginning of the western curve???

Aura webcam

x6bAi.jpg

ILlH8.jpg

For what it's worth, I like Village by the Grange. Most of the places are independent and offer a greater selection at a better price than food courts full of chains. I go all the time for a Gyro or a $5 combo from Karin's or Tasty Chinese Food. Lunch for a fiver or less. Having OCAD right there keeps it from getting too desperate. The only thing that disappoints me about Village by the Grange is that the McDonald's always appears to have the longer lineup when there is better value offered elsewhere on the floor. I agree with the statement upthread that we need a diversity of commercial and residential offerings downtown, that not everything should be targeted at the upscale. However, I don't know if modest and practical can be built at 78 stories. This place is being marketed as somewhere special and desirable, but the corner cutting is leaving something less impressive. Investors who thought they were buying something that would resemble the PATH and instead find themselves trying to lease space that more resembles a forgotten 70s-era mall will be disappointed.

For what it's worth, I like Village by the Grange.
I always liked it too but I haven't been in there in eons. Back in the 80's they had a really hot late night restaurant in there, it was Mr. "something", then it changed over to something else which was good too.

Below, Aura today from my POV now visible behind The Met. I'll post regular updates every few months as this goes up

Last edited:
Yet another epic shot. Anyone who says Toronto is not a beatiful city needs to look at some of these photos being posted around the forums. wow stunning great job.

For what it's worth, I like Village by the Grange. Most of the places are independent and offer a greater selection at a better price than food courts full of chains. I go all the time for a Gyro or a $5 combo from Karin's or Tasty Chinese Food. Lunch for a fiver or less. Having OCAD right there keeps it from getting too desperate. The only thing that disappoints me about Village by the Grange is that the McDonald's always appears to have the longer lineup when there is better value offered elsewhere on the floor. I agree with the statement upthread that we need a diversity of commercial and residential offerings downtown, that not everything should be targeted at the upscale. However, I don't know if modest and practical can be built at 78 stories. This place is being marketed as somewhere special and desirable, but the corner cutting is leaving something less impressive. Investors who thought they were buying something that would resemble the PATH and instead find themselves trying to lease space that more resembles a forgotten 70s-era mall will be disappointed.

Funny, the only thing that disappoints me about Village on the Grange are the cockroaches and filthy tables. Um.

Funny, the only thing that disappoints me about Village on the Grange are the cockroaches and filthy tables. Um.
Not my experience. ODAD does have space there. I doubt they'd be okay with it being overrun by cockroaches. And the DineSafe inspects there as anywhere else. I see staff there cleaning the tables, just like at other food courts. My only point was that I don't think Village by the Grange is a great example of the worst possible outcome for Aura. It does have its pluses. People here have said that Aura might be saved by providing economical space for fledgling local businesses, so that there might an interesting diversity of offerings there in time. Village by the Grange does have, in my estimation, these advantages. It could use a revamp sure, but it does get a lot of foot traffic, mostly from students, and it provides an affordable place for independent businesses to take root. The basement of Aura will have difficulty finding the same advantage, even as a third-choice scenario. Down the escalator is too out of the way, and it's been marketed and sold as someplace more higher end than what it may eventually be forced to become.

Yet another epic shot. Anyone who says Toronto is not a beatiful city needs to look at some of these photos being posted around the forums. wow stunning great job.

It is hard to argue with that.Reference the dt_toronto_geek photo above, Aura will Dominate that view.

NNE.jpg

Last edited:
It is hard to argue with that.Reference the dt_toronto_geek photo above, Aura will Dominate that view.

I should have framed that shot better to include Burano but shifted a smidgen to the left to include the L Tower too. The west side of it is there, but only barely. Next time :).

The Aura Webcam is showing the first signs of the western curve. I posted a similar capture on the last page, but I was still unsure whether it was the start of the curve or just a standard unfinished floor. Nope, it is indeed the curve:

O26sy.jpg

Last edited:
There isn't a curve there yet, at least not visibly. You can see the faces of the concrete partition walls on the floor where the forms are still located, and they're all flush with the concrete walls beneath them. Maybe once they jump the forms in 3-4 days we'll see some sign of the transition.

Anyone notice there's quite a bit of empty stores for lease between Bloor and Dundas on Yonge ... Yonge always seems to go through cycles but it seems like there's quite a bit of available space now. Probably 20 or so stores (its a big stretch I know). But seems worse then a couple years ago.

I just find it interesting as one would think with all the condos already built (albeit closer to bloor) that wouldn't be the case.

Back