News   May 31, 2024
 804     6 
News   May 31, 2024
 2.8K     1 
News   May 31, 2024
 979     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

This could give a sense of what it would be like to ride it and maybe the other TC routes at ground level.

And @ 5 mins its stopped for almost 4 minutes which isn't even a stop.

That is evidence of a big fail on signal priority. There isn't even any traffic and the vehicle sets for a long time. Did the driver go for lunch?

Does anyone know when the Eglinton Crosstown construction will be at the "point of no return"? That is basically the time where so much money has been invested that the project can't be cancelled. I'm hoping that it happens soon so Ford and Co. cant cancel the project.

Does anyone know when the Eglinton Crosstown construction will be at the "point of no return"? That is basically the time where so much money has been invested that the project can't be cancelled. I'm hoping that it happens soon so Ford and Co. cant cancel the project.

Ford and Co. can't cancel the project: the province is in charge. Only a change in governing parties at Queen's Park can do it -- just like how Harris, Hudak et al. cancelled the Eglinton subway in 1995.

As for the point of no return, good question. If history is any lesson, presumably not for at least another couple of years.

Ford and Co. can't cancel the project: the province is in charge. Only a change in governing parties at Queen's Park can do it -- just like how Harris, Hudak et al. cancelled the Eglinton subway in 1995.

As for the point of no return, good question. If history is any lesson, presumably not for at least another couple of years.

Hopefully that day is before the next municipal or provincial elections. Has Metrolinx said when the expect the LRT to be completed? I know that they said it should be done in 2020 but I think that was with everything buried.

Once the TBM started rolling there wouldn't be much point in stopping I'd imagine. Eglinton West never got to that stage back in 95.

in all honesty, I think it would come down to whoever is sitting in the Premier's chair -- and how motivated they were to spend or save $8.4 billion on transit projects for 416.

Remember that killing the Eglinton subway was an act of important political symbolism for the last bunch of blues.

Hopefully that day is before the next municipal or provincial elections. Has Metrolinx said when the expect the LRT to be completed? I know that they said it should be done in 2020 but I think that was with everything buried.

Hopefully someone can still cancel the Brentcliffe to Don Mills section - which is currently planned for median and not side of road. The first phase is to tunnel from Black Creek to Chaplin. Hopefully before they progress any further than that, someone will realize the benefits of not being in the middle of the street for this stretch.

Aren't they going to start digging near Brentcliffe in the next year or so to build the portal and the pit to put the second set of TBMs in? At that point, they'll be pretty tied down by where the Portal is (middle of road or to the side).

Hopefully someone can still cancel the Brentcliffe to Don Mills section - which is currently planned for median and not side of road. The first phase is to tunnel from Black Creek to Chaplin. Hopefully before they progress any further than that, someone will realize the benefits of not being in the middle of the street for this stretch.

Have you considered calling a councillor about this? Posting it on UT won't do much good.

in all honesty, I think it would come down to whoever is sitting in the Premier's chair -- and how motivated they were to spend or save $8.4 billion on transit projects for 416.

Remember that killing the Eglinton subway was an act of important political symbolism for the last bunch of blues.

The problem then was that Rae decided to fund both a shorter Sheppard subway and shorter Eglinton subway to appease all concerned instead of just building one full subway line at Eglinton. Thats the problem when you try to please everyone instead of doing what makes sense

Another ethnic group has entered this debate/issue. The Canadian Hindu Advocacy has thrown their hat in favor of Ford's subway plans. Their director Ron Banerjee has started a blog on this, and has published before on subways/TTC issue:

His previous post http://news.nationalpost.com/2010/05/27/comment-the-better-way-is-in-new-delhi/

Latest posting: http://www.coldclearlogic.com/2012/03/17/toronto-transit-subways-or-lrt/
Wio cares that another ethnic group has entered the debate. This is getting crazier by the minute. And the fact he starts his post with "subways vs streetcars"

The problem then was that Rae decided to fund both a shorter Sheppard subway and shorter Eglinton subway to appease all concerned instead of just building one full subway line at Eglinton. Thats the problem when you try to please everyone instead of doing what makes sense

IIRC, TTC wanted a BRT on Eglinton and Subway on Sheppard. Rae instead funded a shorter subway on Sheppard and shorter subway on Eglinton.

Harris actually did the right thing in cancelling Eglinton as a subway. Numbers didn't support it then and they still don't. Sadly, we never did get the Eglinton BRT.

Last edited:

Back