1.1K     1 
News   May 28, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   May 28, 2024
 553     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
She knows that her position as TTC chair is toast, so with nothing to lose, she's sticking it to Ford and doing what's best for the city. Some of you accuse her actions as being insincere, but then why did she initiate a transit plan that she knew Ford would never agree with? I applaud her. This might even be a prelude of her running against him in the next election...

That really depends on your perspective. 24 councillors is only 2 more than majority, and at 5%, I wouldn't consider that an overwhelming 'best for city', especially if all the other councillors vote the opposite way - and yes same goes true for those that are against Transit City.

It's so unfortunate that Public Transportation has become so politicized. It's especially interesting to see most Transit City supporters come from the Core- those with subways already. What's good enough for them is too good for everyone else?

Bill Davis, a Tory, built subways back in the 50/60's if the city was as polarized as today, we'd see St Clair 'LRT's across Yonge/Bloor....

slight disaster I would say.

That being said, Ford should have compromized with Stintz's proposal of partial underground, and begin the Extending shepperd.

Transit city is trying to address too much with too little, that's the ultimate problem.

Last edited:
That really depends on your perspective. 24 councillors is only 2 more than majority, and at 5%, I wouldn't consider that an overwhelming 'best for city', especially if all the other councillors vote the opposite way - and yes same goes true for those that are against Transit City.

It's so unfortunate that Public Transportation has become so politicized. It's especially interesting to see most Transit City supporters come from the Core- those with subways already. What's good enough for them is too good for everyone else?

Bill Davis, a Tory, built subways back in the 50/60's if the city was as polarized as today, we'd see St Clair 'LRT's across Yonge/Bloor....

slight disaster I would say.

That being said, Ford should have compromized with Stintz's proposal of partial underground, and begin the Extending shepperd.

Transit city is trying to address too much with too little, that's the ultimate problem.

Bill Davis was an MP from Peel region. He was minister of Education in the 60's and premier in the 70's. He had little to do with building Subways in Toronto. He did however, want to and started to build this thing called the Spadina Expressway.

Bill Davis CANCELLED the Spadina expressway, which had support from conservatives, liberals, and NDPers provincially. His leadership was outstanding.

Doesn't mean that js97 isn't off the mark, though. Subways should be built wherever they can be supported. I don't see why we should be subsidising subways to the suburbs so that people can live in poorly designed detached homes in cul-de-sacs.

what is there to forget? past mayors always had to have the majority of council on their side to advance their agendas. Ford seems determined to push his own agenda at all costs even when the majority of council is against him.

I can think of one example under Miller's watch. When council did not vote in favour of the new taxes (land transfer and vehicle registration), he had a tantrum and shut all libraries on Sundays (except in the priority neighbourhoods!) and other minor cuts to parks, recreation and the like. I remember walking past Lillian H. Smith branch on College near Spadina, with a notice saying that the closest library open was at Dufferin and Eglinton.

Council did end up voting those taxes in later, but Miller's unilateral action left a bad taste in my mouth, and I voted for him and still generally favoured his two terms over Lastman and Ford.

But that's the only example coming anywhere near "dictatorship" I can think of until Ford got in.

From 2006 to 2011, Toronto’s population went up 4.5% (Census Canada numbers came out today, February 8, 2011) to 2,615,060. Unacceptable! Rob Ford wanted a 10% reduction in spending, but how can there be a reduction in spending when the population of Toronto went up 4.5%?

As well, this weekend, there will be MORE reductions in TTC service. See this link.

How could the TTC reduce service on the TTC when the population is going up? A 10% reduction is not logical when there is a 4.5% increase in people. People would use the TTC more, especially with rising oil prices at the same time (unless you’re a millionaire).

If you really believe that then you have absolutely zero understanding of how much Miller did in his 7 years. You might be hard-pressed to find a mayor in Toronto's history who did as much.
So much that he rendered himself unre-electable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back