News   May 17, 2024
 2.5K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.6K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 10K     10 

Evocative Images of Lost Toronto

The Chairman of Metropolitan Toronto and the Mayor of Toronto have a photo-op in 1966.

mcclearytowersWmAllenPhilipGivens1966.jpg

It's been mentioned before, but said destruction would probably have happened no matter who the mayor was at the time. Taking down old buildings to clear space for parking was generally a 1950s/1960s thing, not specifically a Nathan Phillips thing.

I believe the city motto at the time was, Toronto: Ample Parking!

I agree. It's not like today is any different.

Great pics, brrewster, particularly nice to see the pic of the lost Engineering & Electric Building (opposite the Automotive Building):

dscn1825.jpg

Thanks again thecharioteer . like I've said before , I can only wish I was the one taking the photo's. But then again , that would make me a really old man.

Would this be 103 Queen St W? - date unknown

RichmondsTradingPost.jpg

Where did I shoot this traffic 47 years ago?

traffic1964where.jpg

I recognized it from the Rumble Motors sign wedge on the upper left (which was still extant into the mid-80s, at least)

When Toronto had two baseball stadiums on the waterfront and no Island Airport

TwoStadiumsnoairport.jpg

Last edited:
'Brennan' took over the Rumble name.. and that lasted until the GM dealerships implosion of a few years back..
Yes, and now the building is gone. DOT patio furniture went in for a season and that was it. I think they are building townhouses or condos there.

Anybody recognize this? :)

60b90483.jpg

...Or how about this?

085df684.jpg

Back