News   Apr 26, 2024
 516     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

The Traditional City

Memph

Member Bio
Reaction score
It looks like urban planners and most people at urban toronto are often pushing for development that would turn Toronto into Manhattan. The taller the better. There is also virtually no focus on the intimate spaces created by narrow streets.

I've been reading articles at a website called newworldeconomics lately, and I think the writer's ideas deserve some attention. Here's an article that covers the gist of it.
http://www.newworldeconomics.com/archives/2008/072008.html

According to him, the built form of downtown Toronto is only somewhat better than towers in the park, and still far from ideal. Cities should be dense, and built for the pedestrian, which means streets and buildings at the human scale. Most streets should be at most 16 feet wide, and only a small number of streets, which would function as arterials should be wider. Meanwhile, most buildings should be townhomes or small apartment buildings, preferably 2-5 stories, up to 10 or so on wider streets. Since these streets would be so narrow, sidewalks would not be necessary because there isn't enough space for people to drive fast. This means the buildings across the street would be 8-16 feet apart, as opposed to the 50-60 feet that exists even in a side street of a neighbourhood like Little Italy. This means you can achieve very high densities.

For example, if you have a neighbourhood 3 storey townhomes with 100% coverage on 300 sqft lots with most streets being 8 feet wide, you would achieve St Jamestown densities, possibly even higher. You'd have units of 1200 sqft if you include the basement, plus maybe a rooftop terrace, but you'd have a lovely pedestrian environment and the charm of a small European village.

The main points in favour of this sort of city building are:

-A highly pedestrian oriented environment, people would feel comfortable walking in the middle of most streets, and would be discouraged from walking only on a small collector/arterial roads.
-High density: this sort of development can easily support a wide variety of shops and public transit, including subways
-Feasible in a city where people still need to drive: if you drive in Toronto, you'll find that you spend most of your time driving on arterials like Eglinton, Queen, Markham Rd, etc. However, you spend only a small portion of your time driving on side streets, so even if you drive twice as slow on those side street, it will have little effect on how long it takes to get from point a to point b. Plus most of these side streets could be narrower AND be used by pedestrians (instead of having a separate sidewalk), and there would still be enough space, because they get so little traffic.

Another plus is that being able to walk in the middle of the street allows people to interact with both sides of the street at the same time, instead of having to choose a sidewalk on one side or the other. This makes the walking experience that much more exciting, and I think would be great for retail streets.

Having narrow streets with relatively small lots also means having more streets in a given area, which makes it feasible for most streets to be geared towards pedestrians instead of being arterials.

Regarding street width, 16 feet is wide enough for 2 cars to pass by. If a street is 8 feet wide, it means it would have to be pedestrian only, or maybe one way single lane. You could actually have some street be pedestrian only without causing much of a problem to drivers, as long as there is an opportunity to park close to that street (like in an underground garage). There are a fair bit of townhouses being built in places like Liberty Village, North York and even Vaughan based off of this generally idea.

Another advantage is that lowrises (4 stories or less) are cheaper to build than skyscrapers since they don't have to be built out of concrete. Townhouses are also more attractive to suburbanites than condo towers.

As for private outdoor space, you wouldn't need as much since the streets could be your playground, instead of a place for cars, but you could still have parks, terraces, balconies and even small backyards.

This would also mean buildings would be built in a way that interacts well with pedestrians, since most of them would front onto pedestrian oriented spaces. So you'd have nice storefronts, more interesting architecture, some interesting decorations, balconies, flowerpots, planters, etc.

I don't think this sort of neighbourhood has been built anywhere in North America in a significant scale in the last 200 years. The closest I can think of is Mont Tremblant Village or Harry Potter Land... It's either typical suburbia with wide streets, new urbanist neighbourhoods like Cornell with wide streets, or denser neighbourhoods with big buildings, but still with wide streets.

That doesn't mean it can't be done. Check out the neighbourhoods of Tokyo near a heavy rail station, the streets will be very narrow, with minimal to no highrises and the buildings will all date to after WWII.

I think there are a number of possible places in Toronto where neighbourhoods like these could be built as pilot projects, including around subways lines like the redevelopment of Lawrence Heights and many sites along the Spadina line North of there, sites around the Sheppard line and future extension, Regent Park (unless that's too far into development), the Port Lands, maybe Liberty Village, sites along the future Eglinton LRT like the Golden Mile or Thorncliffe Park. Most of the Urban Growth Centres have large pieces of lands that would likely get completely redeveloped. There's also sites like Lakeview. Last I checked, they wanted to incorporate aspects of Venice into Lakeview, so why not incorporate narrow streets and 2-6 storey buildings as in Venice. The Imperial Oil lands in the Western part of Port Credit are a possibility too. How about Downsview Park? Downsview Park is constrained by a height limit due to the airport, and they want it to be dense, so that as much land as possible can be left for the park, plus there will be a new subway station, which reduces the need for cars.

I was initially thinking about laneways too, but it would take a long time for a lanes in a neighbourhood to be transformed into really narrow streets lined with homes. It would probably just be one new home every few years on each lane, so it would take too long to get real results. Meanwhile, there would probably be a fair bit of opposition from neighbours. I think a complete redevelopment of a large piece of land would be better, since it would produce results in less time and then people could visit the neighbourhood and see how well it works (assuming it will be successful). Then once the idea catches on, it would be easier to convince people that allowing laneway housing will be good for their neighbourhood.

What do others think about this more fine grained approach of small buildings and really narrow streets? Is it doable? Is it something worth trying to achieve?

What do others think about this more fine grained approach of small buildings and really narrow streets? Is it doable? Is it something worth trying to achieve?

-kinda like living in an ant hill.
Ants don't drive, they don't need infrastructure to be built and maintained or allow for visits from Fire trucks and ambulances.

Ants don't drive, they don't need infrastructure to be built and maintained or allow for visits from Fire trucks and ambulances.

Herp derp non-constructive statement. Living closer together is not like living in an anthill- European and Asian cities are doing fine with this type of urbanism. Last time I heard, their infrastructure trumphs ours and their cities still somehow haven't burnt down yet.

Last edited:
From http://www.rediscover.co.uk/croatia_islands.html
korcula_street2w.jpg

I don't think living on a street like this would be like living on an ant hill, it actually looks very nice. The picture is of the small town (pop 4000) of Korcula, a popular tourist spot on the Adriatic coast of Croatia. I've visited many small towns in this area and streets like these are very common.

As for fire trucks and ambulances, they would not have to go onto all streets. This neighbourhood model would involve having much smaller city blocks, maybe from 40x100 feet to 120x250 feet for a more suburban version. For comparison's sake, the FCP block is about 460x900 feet, the smallest of the old toronto city blocks (Ontario-King-Princess-Adelaide) is around 260x320 feet, the city block bound by Broadview, Victor, Langley and Howard is 285x1400 feet. So as long as there are streets wide enough for emergency vehicles at intervals of around 300-400 feet, I don't think it would be a problem. These wouldn't even have to be very wide, 10ft should be enough for an ambulance or fire truck, which I think are around 7-8ft wide. 16ft would be more than enough.

An interesting subject for conversation. These kind of dense pedestrian zones always form part of the itinerary for interesting neighbourhoods to visit around the world.

That said just take a look at the roads we are building here in 2011 in the waterfront to get a picture of how far transportation planning and regulation is from allowing anything of this nature to be built here.

Additionally, there are positives and negatives of all land use models. If you live in a neighbourhood like that you sure need to be comfortable listening to your neighbours nightly domestic disputes.

Does anyone know what the current bylaws are in Toronto that would affect the possibility of building these neighbourhoods? So minimum width of the road (asphalt), minimum ROW, minimum setbacks.

I don't know too much about noise insulation, but how much has to do with the distance between buildings versus the quality of the windows and walls? In any case, it can't be worse than living in an apartment building and not that much worse than a townhome neighbourhood with wide streets.

The idea of narrower streets and reduced frontyard setbacks can be used in the suburban context too, like in many European and Asian suburbs, such as this Paris suburb. The density is probably comparable to that of Toronto's automobile suburbs, but the backyards are bigger and the street feels more pedestrian friendly, without making it significantly more difficult to drive.
Tokyo suburb
Barcelona suburb/satellite city (ROW is a bit wide)

Last edited:
When you look at a lot of the townhouse developments around the GTA, it looks like the streets are never less than 20 feet, although some laneways (for garages) can be narrower. Maybe there is a 20ft minimum ROW but it doesn't apply to laneways for garages?

Dubrovnik's walled city is a great example of narrow streets. The city's main street, which also acts as the city square is about 30-40 ft wide, widening to around 80 ft at the city square. Just to compare, Trafalgar Road and Dundas Streets proposed width for Uptown Oakville when you include the entire ROW plus setbacks is 200-300 ft. That's Dubrovnik's grand boulevard... the second widest street might be around 15ft. Everything else is 4-10ft. Dubrovnik's walled city is one of the most popular tourist destinations in Croatia and if you've been there, you would know that it's very beautiful, and the narrow streets only add to the charm. The city was built by the Venetians (I'm guessing Venice looks very similar but with canals), with 2-4 storey stone buildings and streets of polished cobbles. The narrow streets have retail too and cars are forbidden aside from deliveries and maybe local residents.

Admittedly, this is not quite feasible, but it does give a different ideal built form to work towards than Manhattan or the Champs Elisee. You could come pretty close though.

Unfortunately, the traditional city hasn't really existed in North America since 1850 and is practically nowhere to be found outside of the Eastern Seaboard and Quebec. There is almost nothing of the sort in Toronto, Toronto being planned on a grid from day one. However, there are areas where the grid is broken enough by little side streets and mewses that it sort of resembles a traditional walking city. These include parts of Cabbagetown, Kensington Market, Corktown and Brockton. What do these things all have in common? They were former slums; areas that existed outside of the domain of formal planning and the provision of city services. The traditional city is still alive and well in the slums and shantytowns of the developing world. In that sense, I agree with Jane Jacobs' comment in Death and Life that the most vibrant neighbourhoods are gentrified former slums but, of course, this sort of living arrangement is impossible to emulate these days; legally, at least.

Unfortunately, the traditional city hasn't really existed in North America since 1850 and is practically nowhere to be found outside of the Eastern Seaboard and Quebec. There is almost nothing of the sort in Toronto, Toronto being planned on a grid from day one. However, there are areas where the grid is broken enough by little side streets and mewses that it sort of resembles a traditional walking city. These include parts of Cabbagetown, Kensington Market, Corktown and Brockton. What do these things all have in common? They were former slums; areas that existed outside of the domain of formal planning and the provision of city services. The traditional city is still alive and well in the slums and shantytowns of the developing world. In that sense, I agree with Jane Jacobs' comment in Death and Life that the most vibrant neighbourhoods are gentrified former slums but, of course, this sort of living arrangement is impossible to emulate these days; legally, at least.
Do you know what are the main bylaws preventing this sort of development? I have a feeling that the minimum width of a street is around 20 feet, but I don't know for sure. I'm also pretty sure most places require sidewalks, and a certain front setback. Do you know what the exact requirements are though?

One could say that the Georgian grid is traditional too, considering what would come later: the radial streets of City Beautiful and ultimately the cul-de-sacs of Modernism.

Do you know what are the main bylaws preventing this sort of development? I have a feeling that the minimum width of a street is around 20 feet, but I don't know for sure. I'm also pretty sure most places require sidewalks, and a certain front setback. Do you know what the exact requirements are though?

The traditional minimum street width is 66 feet, within which the paved portion from curb to curb is 28 feet. Sidewalks generally abut the curb in downtown streets and are placed about 10 feet from the curb in suburban profiles leaving about 3 feet from the street line to the outer edge of the sidewalk. The area within the curbs generally contains sewers and water lines, the area between the curb and the street line may be used to place hydro, telephone, cable TV and Gas utilities.

Laneways in Toronto are 10 feet wide and often contain right angle intersections which parameters preclude access to large vehicles such as Fire, garbage and snow clearance trucks, especially in the winter.

Your suggestion that housing be built in laneways would require the tenants to eschew the benefits of urban living because 10 feet is not enough space to provide the infrastructure necessary to provide them.

These facts may disappoint you but they are the reason that you are really wasting your time trying to recreate quaint little 16th century European ant hills in Toronto.

Last edited:
I've always been a fan of the streets of Paris, London, Barcelona - every time I'm there I always wonder why Toronto made no such effort to promote (or build) more pedestrian / denser developments in the city.

I think it's a bit rash to liken developing that sort of thing in Toronto to quaint ant hills.

Lets look at a city here in North America for example that applied urban elements of what made European cities such as Paris so magnificent in conjunction with refined notions of urban development.

Check out Washington D.C.

Here's a little refresher on Pierre Charles L'Enfant's vision:

05830a.jpg

L'Enfant successfully incorporates narrow streets, public squares, grande boulevards, etc. Here in Toronto all our pedestrian activity is centralized off the main streets and corresponding commercial arteries. Once you step away from these main streets you hit pure residential. Toronto at the very least should have incorporated the concept of public squares, a place where buildings can be densely packed in around the squares, are easily serviceable by a number of streets leading into it, and would no doubt trigger considerable growth along the streets and areas outside of the square.

Toronto has numerous times under gone considerable change in landscape, residential distribution, infrastructure adjustments - I don't think it would be outside our grasp to redevelop some existing sites in Toronto to create more squares at the very least or more pedestrian areas (look at yorkville).

Take Concord City Place. Concord had an incredible opportunity to redefine some unused / critically located space. They could have developed an entirely new community within there that could have turned into another commercial, residential / entertainment center. Instead that space (like most developments in Toronto) has been squandered and will most likely remain isolated from its surrounding areas.

Last edited:

Back