News   May 29, 2024
 600     5 
News   May 29, 2024
 2K     6 
News   May 29, 2024
 507     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Hey Folks

I am totally, totally impressed with this site. Quick question. Searching for an address of 6 Ontario Place in 1912. Thought it may be a laneway off of Ontario St. Can't seem to locate it on Goads 1903 or 1913, but I don't know all the ins and outs of searching. Any pointers would be more than greatly appreciated. Thanks ever so much.
Gebbois

A city directory is good for that kind of search. From the 1912 Directory - "Ontario Pl - West from 100 Ontario, ward 2".

http://www.archive.org/stream/torontodirec191200midiuoft#page/256/mode/2up

p.s. it's on the 1913 map on the Archives website. It might be Brigden Place now.

Last edited:
I think that "Ontario Place" was the lane that runs west of Ontario Street between Adelaide and Richmond. The St Lawrence Neighbourhood Association has a project to name all the unnamed lanes in our area and are proposing this lane be named (re-named?) John Macdonnell Lane as calling it (re-calling it?) Ontario Place would doubtless confuse people looking for the one beside the CNE! (John Madonnell was Attorney General of Upper Canada and died beside Brock in War of 1812.)

Last edited:
"Searching for an address of 6 Ontario Place in 1912." QUOTE Gebbois.

MIGHT'S TORONTO CITY DIRECTORY 1910:
(Street's Section)

6 Ontario Place.
Mercer Wm

(Name Section)

Mercer, Wm H
6 Ontario Place.
Labourer.

MIGHT'S TORONTO CITY DIRECTORY 1913:

(Street's Section)

6 Ontario Place.
Godfrey Robt
Labourer.

(Bear in mind that MIGHT'S for any given year is one year later. Eg 1910 is really 1909, 1913 is 1912, etc)

Now, go into
INTERNETARCHIVES.ORG,
MIGHT'S TORONTO CITY DIRECTORIES,
1913 Directory,
Section of names, (First section of the Directory is Street Names, second section is with Occupant names.)

And find any additional info as in this above post's body. Eg Middle name etc.

Regards,
J T

Thanks ever so much. Godfrey, Robert is my wife's Great Grand-daddy. Invaluable aid all you folks are, you really are.
"May your paths always be lit by the Goodness of your hearts"

More Kingston Road
kingston1.jpg

kingston10.jpg

kingston11.jpg

kingston2.jpg

kingston3.jpg

kingston4.jpg

Kingston Road and Brimley
KingstonRoadlookingwestbeforeBrimley.jpg

Kingston-Road-near-Mason-looking-east
KingstonRoadnearMasonlookingeast.jpg

Kingston and Cliffside
Leonard4.jpg

Leonard5.jpg

leonard6.jpg

Warden and K.R.
LOBLAWS--KINGSTONROADANDWARDEN.jpg

Midland and K.R.
Midland.jpg

Birchmount and K.R.
NorthWest-BirchmountandKR.jpg

Rbc.jpg

Poplar and K.R.
POPULAR.jpg

Roycroft Motel
Roycroft.jpg

SCARANDKR.jpg

SCARGOLF.jpg

SILVER.jpg

A few more K.R. , my computer is dying so thats why I am putting up so much.
Pickering Farms-West of Midland
PICKERINGFARMS.jpg

SOUTHSIDEKREASTOFWARDEN2.jpg

WARDEN.jpg

WardenandKingstonRoad.jpg

I think that is all of them , a few doubles and a Don Mills thrown in for good luck.

I love the Golden Mile wannabeness of "Silver Mile".

I'm also wondering whether the de-tracking of Kingston Road coincided in any way with the "dividing" of Kingston Road"...

We lived around Midland and Kingston most of my years up until I was 12 or so (1969) - I remember them building the apartments on the northeast corner, and St Theresa's Church, and I remember when they moved the Halfway House out to Pioneer Village. I never thought the neighbourhood was the same after that, but it looks like it's holding up fairly well.

And I am amazed to see that the Bo Peep Restaurant is still there.

Browning Avenue: My Dad grew up on Canning Avenue as a kid in the 40's. I was born at East York General, lived on Thorncliffe Ave (by the lookout on the Don Valley), just West of Browning.

"And I am amazed to see that the Bo Peep Restaurant is still there." QUOTE Browning Avenue.

Although I haven't eaten there a great deal, I liken their success to good food, good service, and not the least,

good (family) management.

Regards,
J T

And all of the teachers from Samuel Hearne P.S. stopping in after school. My father taught there.

brewster, of those many many great Kingston Road Then and Nows; that Roycroft Hotel comparison is most especially amazing, thank you.

Then. NE corner of Queen and Beech, c.1918. Picture sourced by wwebster.

164QueenBeechNEc1918.jpg

Now. June 2011.

165.jpg

By the way, there is another former Bank of British North America on the SW corner of King and Dufferin. That one still has the ancient lettering of it's former owners across the top. Notably, it's still a Bank of Montreal bank branch.

Browning Avenue: My Dad grew up on Canning Avenue as a kid in the 40's. I was born at East York General, lived on Thorncliffe Ave (by the lookout on the Don Valley), just West of Browning.

Mine grew up on Browning but in the 20s-30s , and met my mother at East York Collegiate. I don't remember where they lived in between (East York or nearby), but by the time I came along they were on Garrick Road in Scarborough behind Heritage Ford. They (and I) always had ties to that 'hood but the closest they ever got to living near there again was on Furnival, off Victoria Park north of St Clair. My youngest sister now lives on Springdale between Coxwell and Woodbine.

Love these then & now photos! We live in Birchcliffe, s/o Kingston Rd. off of Birchmount so very interesting to see how our area has changed. Great stuff!!

Back