News   May 03, 2024
 751     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 485     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 244     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

North Side of Bloor between Jarvis & Church

Same parade - but I can't remember if we started here or ended here! I am pleased to see that some buildings remain -

THEN: Mid to late 70's - still can't remember! One forced march is the same as the next.

Between_Jarvis_Church_on_Bloor_then.jpg

Yes - we did go regimental.

NOW: May 23 2011

Between_Jarvis_Church_on_Bloor_now.jpg

That was a private school joke. My buddy was last CO of the Queen's Own Rifles at my skool.

JARVIS & CHARLES

When I was a boy my parents sent me to a boarding school just north of Toronto. Each and every year we had a parade - forced march more like it - in Toronto. I came across this photo of me (HINT: I'm wearing a kilt). Amazingly, I now live in one of the yellow apartment buildings facing Jarvis. Who would have thought! The photo is circa 1977 perhaps.

Nov142010-043-1.jpg

IMGP0340.jpg

To go a little further back, the mansions that once stood on the site of 600 Jarvis:

600-2-1.jpg

While facing them, was this mansion at 603 Jarvis, photo from the Toronto Star Archives, with this caption:

603 Jarvis St. Caption: Purchase by the city of property at 603 Jarvis St., seen here, belonging to Canon H. J. Cody, for $42,000, was recommended by board of control. The city needs the property in connection with the Clifton Rd. extension project. Photo taken by Gordon H. Jarrett circa May 15, 1947.

4129d87f-1.png

Canon Cody, Rector of St. Paul's across the street on Bloor:

f1244_it1299.jpg

f1244_it3065.jpg

f0207_s1251_it0094.jpg

Last edited:
Jarvis & Gloucester

Does anyone know what house(s) stood on the north corner of Jarvis & Gloucester? Currently my building and it's circa 1950 - or so I've been told.

jarvisgloucesternorth.jpg

The south side still has the 3 mansions

jarvisgloucestersouth.jpg

One the NW corner of Jarvis and Gloucester stood the Mulock House. Pic (taken in 1945) and caption below from the Toronto Star archives:

f6850c8b-1.png

Caption: 1945 caption: The Mulock Home. The executors of the estate of the late Sir William Mulock have sold his former Jarvis St. residence to the Salvation Army. The Army, it is understood, will utilize the property as a home for girls. The purchase price is not disclosed. Located at 518 Jarvis St., the home has a frontage of 120 feet on Jarvis St., by a depth of 211 feet on Gloucester St. Of brick construction with extensive garage accommodation in the rear, the old home has many large, high rooms, and extensive modernization will likely be carried out by the purchasers to fit it for its new role. Famed for its hospitality in bygone days, the residence was one of the first private homes in the city to have elecric light installed. During the late Sir Wiliam's lifetime it was visited by a great number of people, friends of Sir William in every walk of life. Last Published: 4/13/1945

Last edited:
April 25 addition.

Then. For you streetcar buffs. Broadview and Danforth looking N. Guess the date, someone. :) ValsHere sent me this picture, thank you ValsHere.

BroadviewDanforth.jpg

Now.

DSC_0194-1.jpg

I'd say the early 60s given the subway station. What strikes me is how uncluttered the streets were back then with unobstrusive street lights fading into the background. I would love to know who came up with the notion of having replacing those lights with the insipid street lights which look like they were purchased at Dollarama. They're everywhere. Though perhaps not to everyone's taste, I loved the mid -60s lamps that once lit Queen's Park and Kings College Circle but were fairly recently replaced with Victoriana kitsch.

Why do those who make decisions about street furniture always opt for Victoriana design when mid-century modern design is also part of Toronto's past? Why hasn't Toronto Sity Hall ever inspired street furniture design?

Don't get me wrong I adore Toronto's Victorian Edwardian architecture and seeing all that has been lost is painfully sickening but cheap imitation knockoffs just rub salt in the wounds.

The two story house in the "then" pic, to the north of the Carin store, was my family home 1967 or so to 1972! Now it's the brown roof with the dish on the chimney.
I am loving this thread and have only made it to this page after a solid two weeks reading.
There are so many posts I want to comment on but I know some are over two years old now.
I am not sure where things are at right now, but I'll add a few comments on these Woodbine Ave posts.
The first corner store, supposedly next to 405 Woodbine: In my childhood was known as Day's Variety. The store keeper was still using the long handled tongs to get things off of the higher shelves.
The Heyworth then: That is the Norway Public school's annex building, I have some pics of the school I could post.
More to come if anyone is still interested. I saw a Queen and McLean post way back I have some memories to share about that area as well.
Oh and way back was reference to the Goof! A comment was made about a new sign, I don't think so, to see the "GOOF" you need to look at the sign from the east!

Isn't this thread fantastic? I only stumbled upon it late last year. What strikes me about the the 1920 Woodbine photo is that the scene seems timeless until one notices the dirt road and the children. It's hard to believe that it is 90 years old. Are you the person who posted the photo or was it Mustapha and you you just came across it? How strange must that have been.

As for leaving replies. I believe UTers get email notification if their posts, even ones that are two years old, get a response so it's never too late to reply.

Hi talamasca,

Welcome. Very nice "début".

May 24 addition.

Then. April 10, 1902. NW corner College and Palmerston. We are looking N so it's very early in the morning as our photographer's model in her smart hat pretends to read. This church has been used by several faiths over the years. It was originally built as the College Street Baptist Church in 1889. In 1970 it was sold and became the Seventh-day Adventist church for a Portuguese-Canadian congregation. About four years ago it was sold to developer Joe Brennan who has just about finished building only four units within. It wasn't so much a renovation, as those of you who watched its progress will attest. Only the four walls remain of the original church.

s0376_fl0003_it0077.jpg

Now. April 2011. I'm having a perception/logic problem. Why is it that there are fewer steps to the front doors now? They couldn't have raised the sidewalk level that much?

DSC_0298.jpg

Hi talamasca,

Welcome. Very nice "début".

May 24 addition.

Then. April 10, 1902. NW corner College and Palmerston. We are looking N so it's very early in the morning as our photographer's model in her smart hat pretends to read. This church has been used by several faiths over the years. It was originally built as the College Street Baptist Church in 1889. In 1970 it was sold and became the Seventh-day Adventist church for a Portuguese-Canadian congregation. About four years ago it was sold to developer Joe Brennan who has just about finished building only four units within. It wasn't so much a renovation, as those of you who watched its progress will attest. Only the four walls remain of the original church.

s0376_fl0003_it0077.jpg

Now. April 2011. I'm having a perception/logic problem. Why is it that there are fewer steps to the front doors now? They couldn't have raised the sidewalk level that much?

DSC_0298.jpg

Judging by the windows over the doors, it looks like the doors were lowered. Not an unusual phenomenon, if one compares old photos of Massey Hall to the current situation, the same thing occurred.

massey_hall_postcard_2010003.jpg

Massey20Hall.jpg

Last edited:
It's been awhile but I have started to include some people along with the places in a few Then and Nows. Enjoy.... :)

5755552364_5c9b57c408_b.jpg

JARVIS & CHARLES

When I was a boy my parents sent me to a boarding school just north of Toronto. Each and every year we had a parade - forced march more like it - in Toronto. I came across this photo of me (HINT: I'm wearing a kilt). Amazingly, I now live in one of the yellow apartment buildings facing Jarvis. Who would have thought! The photo is circa 1977 perhaps.

Nov142010-043-1.jpg

IMGP0340.jpg

Another view of the site from 1960:

jarvisbloor.jpg

JARVIS & CHARLES

Here are two more in the general vicinity which I'm sure everyone has already seen countless times; humour me - I'm new :)

circa October 1960

s0372_ss0100_it0333jarvislookingnorth.jpg

circa 1960
jarvischarlescirca1960.jpg

Question: How do I reply to my original thread or The Charioteer's reply to me. I may not be fast but I sure am slow ....

Back