News   May 15, 2024
 428     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 383     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 1K     2 

Bay Adelaide Centre West Tower (Brookfield, 50s, WZMH)

funny i didn't like this tower for a long time but it's understateness and quality is growing on me.

Given the premium site , being understated here is the same as making no statement at all. Developers spend the money and they attract the tenants they can, along the lines we see taking place at the so-called " Southcore ". Maybe, lost in the euphoria, ( of some ), over the condo phenomenon, the city has simply peaked out.

This building really doesn't do anything for me. One couldn't ask for a more uninteresting design, and for some reason it doesn't even appear tall- but more like a building in the 500 foot range.

Generally I dislike signage on tall buildings, but I'm pretty indifferent for B/A. I really hate the CIBC signage on CC. I certainly hope there are no plans to put anything on TDC.

Generally I dislike signage on tall buildings, but I'm pretty indifferent for B/A. I really hate the CIBC signage on CC. I certainly hope there are no plans to put anything on TDC.

There will never be signage on TDC, it would go against Mies van der Rohe's style and basically everything about him.

There will never be signage on TDC, it would go against Mies van der Rohe's style and basically everything about him.

It wouldn't be the first time Cadillac Fairview went against his vision. For instance, they allowed stores in the basement not to use Mies' T-D Centre font for uniform signage and they connected a pair of buildings with a skybridge, contrary to his preference.

Well, technically, it isn't facadism, given that they saved the whole Exchange...

True, but only the facade is visible on the exterior. The building wasn't preserved as a standalone building, rather, it forms the bottom of a new building. It's perhaps the highest level of facadism.

Is Ernst & Young really a travesty? It blends in with the rest of the complex. A mix of different styles would have probably lessened the Centre's impact.

True, but only the facade is visible on the exterior. The building wasn't preserved as a standalone building, rather, it forms the bottom of a new building. It's perhaps the highest level of facadism.

The Design Exchange now inhabits the former Stock Exchange building, and the addition atop it consists of offices that are reached by elevators located to the south - it still functions as a separate structure.

Is Ernst & Young really a travesty? It blends in with the rest of the complex. A mix of different styles would have probably lessened the Centre's impact.

Though in this case, perhaps, judicious counterpoint might have been preferrable to "blending in", particularly given the special nature of Mies...

This building really doesn't do anything for me. One couldn't ask for a more uninteresting design, and for some reason it doesn't even appear tall- but more like a building in the 500 foot range.

Its lines are clean but other than the signage there is no presence. No luminescence. I've been inside on business on several floors. Some impressive spaces on the upper floors (mostly marred by 40 year old art collections that were imported from cobwebbed older buildings) but it still leaves me cold. Somehow feel it's a lost opportunity. And they want to clone more in the small space that's left to the East? Depressing. Just my op.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back