News   May 23, 2024
 232     0 
News   May 23, 2024
 451     0 
News   May 22, 2024
 1.1K     1 

New Bike Lanes on University, Bay, Spadina, and Other Roads

New York City saw a 28% increase in cycling, due to more than 200 miles (321 km) of lanes installed over the past three years, including 5 miles (8 km) of physically-separated lanes, over the entire city. See this link for the article from Infrastructurist.

That stat alone says nothing about scale and reducing congestion. 10 bikes to 13 bikes a day is a 30% increase. is an additional 3 bikes worth the loss of a lane?

It also doesn't say where the riders are coming from, from transit riders and or walkers/cabbers.
Anyone that's spent a good amount of time in NYC can tell you that most New yorkers don't drive. And that NYC is A LOT warmer and receives less snow than Toronto.

If you build a bike lane, people will use it, the question is, will it ENHANCE and REDUCE our traffic problems, or simply make the city feel better that we have a bike lane. At the same time, create congestion and more pollution?

Biggest issue with this study, is that it's during the warmest months of the year and the lowest traffic volume.
The data produced would be skewed. If they are going to do it as a 'pilot' project, they should do it for at least until February, that will give you data that is more emcompassing.

I sometimes wonder why they even bother doing studies like this when it's obvious that it's set up to produce a certain result.

why not during the G20 summit!?

The End?

You know, every single time a bikelane is painted, soooo many people have fits like it'll be the end of the world...

Guess what? The world will not end. You'll be okay.

Plus, instead of those pesky cyclists being in front of your car and slowing you down, they'll be in their own lane and not in your way.

You know, every single time a bikelane is painted, soooo many people have fits like it'll be the end of the world...

Guess what? The world will not end. You'll be okay.

Plus, instead of those pesky cyclists being in front of your car and slowing you down, they'll be in their own lane and not in your way.

That's political rhetoric at it's finest. It's not the end of the world if we don't paint a bike lane. People are just trying to point out what a BAD idea it is...

That being said, I hope you guys consider the extra smog you'll be sucking in due to the extra time on the road the driver will need to be to reach his/her destination.

I actually pointed it to a biker and her response was 'don't tell me that...'

Pretty much the same response I hear when i tell people that smoking to 'stay in shape' will cost your lungs...

Oh well.. let's be happy, plant trees, and go marrily along our way.

That's political rhetoric at it's finest. It's not the end of the world if we don't paint a bike lane. People are just trying to point out what a BAD idea it is...

That being said, I hope you guys consider the extra smog you'll be sucking in due to the extra time on the road the driver will need to be to reach his/her destination.

Pretty much the same response I hear when i tell people that smoking to 'stay in shape' will cost your lungs...

Don't even try.....if you are opposed to bike lanes (in general or a specific one) you are going nuts and whining and flying off the handle. If you are for them you can say anything you like. I have come to accept that on this (and some other topics) debating is only allowed if we all agree.

It is for that reason that i have avoided (until now) even mentioning my main opposition to these particular bike lanes.......I do not believe that the road in your city (any city) that services the most hospital beds in your city is the road that you expirment with taking traffic lanes away. If, as it might, it turns out that removing a lane in each direction on University actually does increase congestion and slow down traffic......and even one ambulance is slow(er) getting to the hospital....this is the wrong thing to do.

As I think I said at the start of this thread....I am, neither, pro or anti bike lanes in general (I just don't think they bring anywhere near the bang for the buck that other spending can) but I am very anti these particular bike lanes (for a few reasons....the hospitals being a very important one).

Last edited:

If the pro-car brigade really gave a damn about pollution why the hell are they driving their cars everywhere?

I am sorry, js97, but that's a terrible analogy.

Here's a better one: people who don't smoke (cyclists) being forced to breathe second hand smoke (drivers).

Don't even try.....if you are opposed to bike lanes (in general or a specific one) you are going nuts and whining and flying off the handle. If you are for them you can say anything you like. I have come to accept that on this (and some other topics) debating is only allowed if we all agree.

It is for that reason that i have avoided (until now) even mentioning my main opposition to these particular bike lanes.......I do not believe that the road in your city (any city) that services the most hospital beds in your city is the road that you expirment with taking traffic lanes away. If, as it might, it turns out that removing a lane in each direction on University actually does increase congestion and slow down traffic......and even one ambulance is slow(er) getting to the hospital....this is the wrong thing to do.

As I think I said at the start of this thread....I am, neither, pro or anti bike lanes in general (I just don't think they bring anywhere near the bang for the buck that other spending can) but I am very anti these particular bike lanes (for a few reasons....the hospitals being a very important one).

I hate to defend this project as I think it sucks, but... if helping one ambulance get to the hospital is so important, shouldn't protecting one cyclist from being run over also be important?

Also if there was a real concern about ambulances I sure would think we would have heard that from hospitals and ambulance drivers and such.

More likely, the ambulances will be able to use the bike lanes, if the lanes are wide enough for them and the bicyclists are more considerate than motorists in getting out of their way. However, the bicyclists may be just as considerate as motorists and not move over. Depends on what sort of barrier they will use of course.

More likely, the ambulances will be able to use the bike lanes, if the lanes are wide enough for them and the bicyclists are more considerate than motorists in getting out of their way. However, the bicyclists may be just as considerate as motorists and not move over. Depends on what sort of barrier they will use of course.

Is it common for bike lanes (I mean around the world as we don't have much experience with full vehicle width car lanes in Toronto) to be used by emergency vehicles? If that is so, then you might just have a convert here....when I do drive on University (which happens to be at those rare times - according to this study ;) - when the lanes are jam packed by cars I often wonder how the emergency vehicles manouvre through the traffic (it is not incosiderate drivers - well not always - but when I observe there is just no where for them to go). If these new bike lanes were to be also used by emergency vehicles (police ambulance and fire) then i would actually see them as being beneficial.

I just don't see how that can work.

I'm tired of seeing drivers using bike lanes as parking space, so these barriers are a good thing. Having most of the road is not good enough for them, divers always want more. The mroe you give them the more greedy they get, so it makes more sense to give the space to the cyclists instead.

I'm tired of seeing drivers using bike lanes as parking space, so these barriers are a good thing. Having most of the road is not good enough for them, divers always want more. The mroe you give them the more greedy they get, so it makes more sense to give the space to the cyclists instead.

Here's a better one: people who don't smoke (cyclists) being forced to breathe second hand smoke (drivers).

Interesting point Grey but consider for a moment that it is not drivers forcing second-hand smoke it is the lack of sufficient mass transit or options to the car. Lets not attack drivers here either, and lets not lose sight that for the vast majority of people the most practical way to get around is the car. Should it be that way? No! But this isn't the fault of drivers it is the fault of negligent politicians (or candidates) who would rather spend their time finding cool names for bike lanes than actually addressing the more basic and fundamental needs of the city.

Interesting point Grey but consider for a moment that it is not drivers forcing second-hand smoke it is the lack of sufficient mass transit or options to the car. Lets not attack drivers here either, and lets not lose sight that for the vast majority of people the most practical way to get around is the car. Should it be that way? No! But this isn't the fault of drivers it is the fault of negligent politicians (or candidates) who would rather spend their time finding cool names for bike lanes than actually addressing the more basic and fundamental needs of the city.

I wonder why you are so certain that these car trips are practical for public transit, yet you think none of them are practical for bike?

I wonder why you are so certain that these car trips are practical for public transit, yet you think none of them are practical for bike?

Did I say 'none'? What is it about 'vast majority of people' that is confusing to you?... and why resort to polarizing absolutes?

Personally, I find getting around downtown by car one of the least practical ways to travel. I only drive as a last resort.

Back