Toronto East Lofts Condos | ?m | 12s | Harhay | a—A

photor.jpg

Toronto Sun Building...

Saturday, January 9, 2010
333 Loblaws?

An anonymous TSF reader says the first floor of the recently sold Toronto Sun building will become a Loblaws store later this year.

Everything from soup to nuts . . .

TorSun/Canoe staffers huddled in a rented corner of the second floor wouldn't have far to go for soups, salads and bottled water.

Makes us wonder how the remainder of 333, built in 1975 by the then independent tabloid, will be carved up by the new owner.

An employment agency on the sixth floor, where all of the Sun execs used to work their magic, would be convenient.

SOURCE:
http://torontosunfamily.blogspot.com/2010/01/333-loblaws.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I noticed they had some construction fencing in the Toronto Sun parking lot as well..

Some notes about east lofts:

-the glass and railings for the west balconies on the 4th, 5th, 6th floor up against abbey lane lofts look great. For some reason, they remind me of the four seasons centre city room windows.

-the concrete walls in the lobby are being covered by what appears to be large white square glass panels. They also look great.

-Harhay held a private party in the retail space on the weekend. The space looked actually very accomodating such a purpose.

Lobby

The residential lobby is looking very nice, fully clad in white backpainted glass panels, very dramatic all the way up to the ceiling. I spoke with the security guard and he mentioned that at least 7 people have moved into the building.

Lobby Floors

The Lobby floors are grinded concrete that is very durable and non-slip. I think it is suitable for a "loft" lobby. This type of finish was offered as an upgrade to individual unit owners but the builder shared that our unit is the only one in the building with the floors finished this way. It is very much a personal preference item, this finish is more than double the cost of the standard hardwood, mostly because it is very labour intensive to grind the floors down this way. I like that the surface is extremely durable (unlike hardwood) . I have attached a photo, you can see the pebbles and aggregate in the concrete, reminds me of Terrazzo

Attachments

• sitetoursep09 008.jpg
    sitetoursep09 008.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 431
Concrete floors look great and are very durable but I've heard that they cause much more fatigue (legs) than other alternatives and are quite cold (unless you have infloor heating). Let us know how you like them after a while.

I visited four units yesterday evening and I was personally impressed with the layout and finishing of the units, particularly one + den. One gracious tenant allowed us into their abode that's a corner unit facing west with had a fantastic view of the core and CN Tower. The lobby, even though not yet completed, has a clean/minimalistic look.

One thing I did kind of notice was the finishing of the floor. It felt a bit raw and unfinished. Perhaps it is intended to stay like this?

I love the area and I'm hoping to walk to work from there!

The corridors will be carpeted once everyone has moved in. The lobby will keep the polished concrete floor currently visible, which I think looks great.

I checked out the lobby last night and it looks super with the high ceiling height, back-painted white glass paneled walls, halogen track lights and custom ceiling feature lights. Kudos to the designers at II x IV Design for the lobby! The longest concierge desk in the world (esp. considering there won't be a concierge!) was being clad in white marble while I was there. Looks great now and I'm sure it will look very polished and amazing when finished - a nice counterpoint to the raw concrete elsewhere.

The entry vestibule seemed a bit unresolved, with uncoordinated bits of fire safety, mechanical/electrical equipment bumps and barnacles intruding into a space and should have been better integrated, since this is both a relatively small space, and is a person's first point of contact with the building. Likely not much will change this now. But the lobby looks great.

Concrete floors look great and are very durable but I've heard that they cause much more fatigue (legs) than other alternatives and are quite cold (unless you have infloor heating). Let us know how you like them after a while.
We currently have concrete floors in our loft and haven't noticed any fatigue. The surface is less forgiving than hardwood if you drop things

Saw a few units the other day. I really like the building. The kitchen finishes are quite nice. Halls are long as hell lol.

Another one of my videos, this time looking at East Loft Condos.

[video=youtube;fklNck7b7DY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fklNck7b7DY[/video]

Great! I hope that happens.

The retail space has been vacant for so long now, that I feared the developer would lease to a pizza by the slice outlet just to get some cash flow.

Back