550 Wellington West (Freed Developments) - Real Estate -

That floor plan square footage definitely includes the balcony, which isn't cool, and also doesn't make sense, as MikeMang pointed out, since the balcony size isn't even consistent across units.

The apartment is a 24' x 22' area (generously speaking), which gives us just 528 sq ft.

That floor plan square footage definitely includes the balcony, which isn't cool, and also doesn't make sense, as MikeMang pointed out, since the balcony size isn't even consistent across units.

The apartment is a 24' x 22' area (generously speaking), which gives us just 528 sq ft.

I think what carturo15 is saying is correct, it doesn't include the kitchen so it is actually wider than 24' feet. This sort of can be verified if you compare it to that 19' wide balcony......there is for sure more than an extra 4 feet of width there.

The unit is aprox 28' x 23' including walls. The balcony is extra 108 sq ft, one 108 sq ft balcony on some units and 2 balconies (54 sqft each) on other units.

You abviously have never purchased pre-construction before...you sound like a little bitch. Relax dude. I hope to God you don't seek a board position...

oh I didn't know new condos were supposed to suck. Ya I guess you are right. I shouldn't care that my dishwasher and laundry machine still don't work and my condo is freezing and that half the finishes are damaged.

I have notified Freed that I want them to refund my occupancy fee for the period in which my appliances did not work (they still haven't fixed the laundry machine and dishwasher).

Does anyone moved in care that the concrete ceilings aren't cleaned and sealed?

oh I didn't know new condos were supposed to suck. Ya I guess you are right. I shouldn't care that my dishwasher and laundry machine still don't work and my condo is freezing and that half the finishes are damaged.

I have notified Freed that I want them to refund my occupancy fee for the period in which my appliances did not work (they still haven't fixed the laundry machine and dishwasher).

Does anyone moved in care that the concrete ceilings aren't cleaned and sealed?

You should not expect that they fix your appliances. there is a warranty and you should contact directly the manufacturer

No, if the appliances are not working at this early stage, Freed should fix asap. In our unit, we had the developer change out one appliance early on with another from a higher unit in the building. Keep complaining on the phone, in person, and in writing.

Does anyone know what interest rate is being used to calculate the occupancy fees for 550 Wellington?

This is the floorplan(the 23'6" measure does not include the kitchen)http://www.550wellington.com/pdf/fp25.pdf
Ok, everyone take a deep breath. What is likely happening is that you are measuring from the inside dimensions of the interior walls which is not how they do it. You also have to take into account the entire depth of exterior walls.

Here is the link for Tarion bulletin (22) that governs how these measurements are made, and as you can see, the balcony is not included for calculations done under high rise unit. Read this and then determine your new sq.ft. and see if they are within the allowed 2% variance. Please report back.

S'Bus.

www.tarion.com/NR/rdonlyres/3C403E96-AAFE.../Bulletin22.pdf

carturo and SpadinaBus are correct.

unfortunately, the measurements for this project are quite cryptic.
the dimensions, exterior wall to exterior wall, appear to be ~27.5 ft x ~23.5 ft.

however, the actual livable space will be about at least 8% less b/c of the exterior wall thickness in the total calculations.

Last edited:
A resolution I have seen successfully completed is a few owners got together and hired a professional surveyor to come into their suites and measure it up. The report found that they were above 2% and were rebated on a sq.ft. basis. If you guys had the balls to do that, that would be a good option if you are certain that you have been ripped off.
S'Bus

:mad: 550 Wellington: when looking at your floor plan, you may notice a large pink square footage number in the upper left corner. On mine it says "641". Upon closer inspection of the floor plan measurements and a few quick calculations -- my condo - which I WAS TOLD was 641 square feet -- wait for it -- is only 531.

What happened to the missing 100 square feet you ask? Well my friend - that would be out on the balcony. So if you thought you paid X per square foot. Think again. Please check your floor plans, do the math with and without the balcony and see how it adds up. (It won't be easy because its not clear what measurements go with what walls)

I suspect that the same is true for all units. Talk about false advertising. Please post your results on here so we can see if the misleading floor plans of the 641 sq ft units are true for ALL 550 units - oops -- I meant 55 STEWART. God save us from greedy developers!

Have you moved in on the 7th floor already???

55 Stewart

A resolution I have seen successfully completed is a few owners got together and hired a professional surveyor to come into their suites and measure it up. The report found that they were above 2% and were rebated on a sq.ft. basis. If you guys had the balls to do that, that would be a good option if you are certain that you have been ripped off.
S'Bus

Thanks SpadinaBus for that helpful advice. The floorplan is too vague to ascertain any definitive width dimension.

This may sound ridiculous, but I feel a major "fiasco" is imminent, or one should happen, to trigger the reboot of the pre-construction, floor plan sales practice. Similar to how airlines (or travel agency websites) are now required by law to quote prices including taxes (as there must have been questionable/misleading practices commonly used to trick buyers in the past), the same needs to happen with advertised floor plans. At the end of the day, the end user, the purchaser, wants to know how much LIVING SPACE they're getting. It should become mandatory to:
1. Post all room dimensions on the floor plan. If not on the actual drawing (i.e. in the bathroom), then at the side;
2. Outline total, actual, interior living space square footage (excluding exterior wall thickness) and separately list balcony/terrace size; and
3. List separately the total architectural square footage that will be included in the registered property, including concrete thickness, electrical box depth, plumbing cavity and whatever other bullshit void 99% of people don't give a crap about.

The onus should not be on the buyer to hire a surveyor to double check whether builders have exceeded the 2% variance in square footage. In this financial transaction, the onus and responsibility should lie on the builder to ensure they build within the 2%, as advertised. Having exact measurements hold builders more accountable, and help purchasers be more informed. How many people probably never check or know whether they've been considerably screwed?

Thanks SpadinaBus for that helpful advice. The floorplan is too vague to ascertain any definitive width dimension.

This may sound ridiculous, but I feel a major "fiasco" is imminent, or one should happen, to trigger the reboot of the pre-construction, floor plan sales practice.

I work in the financial industry (structured products) and I am always blown away with the lack of disclosure/regulation in the real estate industry compared to the investment industry. For our products we have to disclose and explain everything in the prospectus 6 ways to Sunday. We have disclosure explaining our disclosure and never EVER give any sort of opinion. This real estate game seems like its for cowboys. Look at some of the stuff BJL says in his monthly newsletter, its shocking. "Guaranteed Returns", "Can't Lose", "Act Now". Having those statements in any document in the financial industry is like writing a ticket to have your ass Bernie Madoffed.

Back