News   May 30, 2024
 2K     1 
News   May 30, 2024
 1.5K     2 
News   May 30, 2024
 619     0 

Why the Hate for Mississauga?

Honestly, is this type of thread necessary?

There are some people who like living in Mississauga, and others who opt to live elsewhere. It strikes me that actually hating the place is the problem.

If you don't like it, don't live there.

If you don't like it, don't live there.
That's exactly the point. There are many people who don't like it and/or don't live here - but will jump at any opportunity to make disparaging comments. The OP was trying to get an understanding of why this happens with the frequency and apparent zeal that it does.

It wasn't intended to be a bash-sauga thread, but that it went that way so easily sort of proves the point.

Care to elaborate on this?

Are you talking about new pad sites being put into the lots around Square One, or something different?

I thought I read it in this thread but I could be wrong. It could have been another Mississauga thread. I will keep my eyes open for it but I don't want to go back and read through this whole thread right now. When I find it, I'll mention it but I know I did read that somewhere on this site.

Anyway, I hope that's not the case. Strip malls and downtowns do not mix.

I hate Mississauga because of Hazel McCallion, when I lived there she broke into my house, tore apart my kitchen, and ate ALL of the raisins from my Raisin Bran. I even had video proof of this, but of course the police wouldn't do anything because she's their boss.

Anyway, I hope that's not the case. Strip malls and downtowns do not mix.

Strip malls - especially the ones from the 50's/60's that mimic main streets - are actually much, much better than the recent commercial retail developments in MCC...

I hate big box and category killer-style developments with a passion. Power centres go against absolutely everything that a downtown should be.

I hate Mississauga because of Hazel McCallion, when I lived there she broke into my house, tore apart my kitchen, and ate ALL of the raisins from my Raisin Bran. I even had video proof of this, but of course the police wouldn't do anything because she's their boss.

She had to do it. Rabba was all out of prunes.

That's exactly the point. There are many people who don't like it and/or don't live here - but will jump at any opportunity to make disparaging comments. The OP was trying to get an understanding of why this happens with the frequency and apparent zeal that it does.

It wasn't intended to be a bash-sauga thread, but that it went that way so easily sort of proves the point.

Marko, I've refrained from participating in this largely useless thread, but I think you have neatly put your finger on the central point. I submit that it's a barely disguised snobbism, coming from those in central Torontowho think anything west of about Bathurst or north of Eglinton is undeserving of any consideration. Best to just ignore them.

I'm still waiting to read the list of activities kids like to participate in on those little plots of grass. Tag? Hide and Seek?

The problem is that anything remotely critical of Mississauga is considered 'bashing'.

The problem is that anything remotely critical of Mississauga is considered 'bashing'.

Oh yes, you are right, we are out of line, because people like you and kettal have only been slightly critical of Mississauga so far in this thread.

Mississauga has worse sprawl than York Region.

Hurontario Street is as pedestrian-unfriendly as a 400-series highway.

Developments in Mississauga City Centre contain enormous open spaces.

Mississauga City Centre was designed specifically to discourage pedestrians and promote car use.

There is no place more transit-unfriendly than Mississauga City Centre and the Hurontario corridor.

Yep, it's people like me who are overreacting, not the critics. How silly of me.

Marko, I've refrained from participating in this largely useless thread, but I think you have neatly put your finger on the central point. I submit that it's a barely disguised snobbism, coming from those in central Torontowho think anything west of about Bathurst or north of Eglinton is undeserving of any consideration. Best to just ignore them.

Though to dig a little deeper, maybe it isn't so much the defenses of Mississauga that're at issue in this thread, as the quality thereof, i.e. even from a pro-suburban POV, I sense little or no Leona Drive Project potential here. To speak of a certain common UT bias, said hockeybuddyish defenses are coming from the same realm that'd consider the gargoyled schlock of One Park Tower to be architecturally superior to "Clewes modern". They're philistine. They're coming from a realm that'd rather get away from pointy-headed "self-reflective" Leona Drive Project conceits...even if said conceits are of the sort that'd indeed make Mississauga and the story behind it richer, more nuanced and multidimensional and attractive, even to the central-Toronto chattering class...

Oh yes, you are right, we are out of line, because people like you and kettal have only been slightly critical of Mississauga so far in this thread.

Mississauga has worse sprawl than York Region.

Hurontario Street is as pedestrian-unfriendly as a 400-series highway.

Developments in Mississauga City Centre contain enormous open spaces.

Mississauga City Centre was designed specifically to discourage pedestrians and promote car use.

There is no place more transit-unfriendly than Mississauga City Centre and the Hurontario corridor.

Yep, it's people like me who are overreacting, not the critics. How silly of me.

I haven't written anything of the sort. This is exactly what I'm referring to. Ignore anything positive I've written and twist anything that can be construed as negative into the worst possible attack.

The simple fact is, for the most part Hurontario isn't terribly pedestrian friendly. Could it one day become so? Sure. But right now it isn't.

The same goes for the MCC. I'm sure one day it will become far more pedestrian friendly, but right now it isn't very walkable. Even relatively recent developments when the city was supposedly embracing smart growth, such as Coliseum, Chapters, Playdium, etc. weren't designed in a very pedestrian friendly way at all.

But I guess that's just me being mean and hating the suburbs!

Strip malls - especially the ones from the 50's/60's that mimic main streets - are actually much, much better than the recent commercial retail developments in MCC...

I hate big box and category killer-style developments with a passion. Power centres go against absolutely everything that a downtown should be.

Main street retail vs. those large commercial developments is debatable. Both have pros and cons.

The fact more are going up every year means they are successful. There may be some store turnover here and there, but the power centre stays and parking lots are crowded.

The trend for downtown is and will be more big box stores and mini-power centres..... more like mini-power blocks. That Best Buy/Canadian Tire combo at Bay/DUndas is a perfect example. Two large franchises eating up a corner by Eaton Centre. The stores are jam packed. The renovated Future Shop and Best Buy are pretty new and more mainstream grocery stores are opening. That's what happens when population density increases..... you attract the big players in retail. With all the new condos going up, this retail trend will continue. They won't have the huge suburban parking, but the store layouts and product selection will be all familiar.

Suburban power centres are different. You need space, you need parking, and many of those power centre stores or restuarants are not the kind that seems worth putting in expensive downtown real estate.

Is it good? Is it bad? Depends what you shop.

I know many people downtown who buy groceries strictly at mainstream stores like the huge Loblaws on Jarvis or Metros. At worst, they'll force themselves to buy stuff at Rabba or that Sobeys Express on Yonge. Someone mentioned to me a new Sobeys is opening near St Lawrence market (somewhere around there) and she can't wait. These friends hate all those small unique market stores of any kind. They enjoy downtown living and the partying and restaurants, but their shopping is mainly mainstream stores.

On the other hand, there are people I know who like buying their food at small independent stores, shop the trendy clothing stores and buy furniture at unique shops.

Which kind of stores will win out in the long run? Who knows. But I doubt those large franchise stores are going to stop or go away anytime soon.

Does it fit the downtown shopping stereotype? Maybe. Maybe not. For every independent store you find, you'll find the store next to it being a familiar franchise. But if more are coming downtown and they thrive as people support them, then why shouldn't it part of downtown?

Last edited:
First time posting @ Urban Toronto...

Hello, UT members!

This is my first post in UT (although I joined back in July, I did not went back into the forums until today) and I find some of these comments are hillarious! What's with the hate for Mississauga?

I lived in 'Sauga for 10 years (so far) and even though it is not Toronto, I actually love the city! Arriving in Canada in 1998 (the first and only city I ever lived in Canada so far), it has grown tremendously today from the past 10 years. The city is gradually transforming into Mini-Toronto today in size. Yes, Square One seems like an overbuldging white elephant from appearance, excessive free parking spaces, MT service sucks, Hurontario and Burnhamthorpe/Eglinton/Erin Mills not so pedestrian-friendly... but so what? I think Mississauga has so many bright spots as well.

6th largest city in Canada, YYZ, upcoming BRT/LRT and plenty of development around downtown and elsewhere in the city and don't forget: no matter where you are in Mississauga, you know how to get to Square One.

Isn't that a good thing? I know Toronto as well, but TTC and previous city-wide garbage strikes makes Sauga feel like living in a heaven-on-earth.
I do admit that McCallion is so far the best Mayor in Canada, but who knows, times change...

Although we hate every small flaw found in our city, I think that every resident here feels patriotic, and feels the need for improvement in the city. Maybe that is why...

:D :cool:

Last edited:
Coming tax hikes, and the impact of gas prices on your auto-centric lifestyle will cure you of your enthusiasm.
------

That said I don't think it's a 'hate' for Mississauga in so far as it is a reaction for all their talk over the years. We keep hearing about how they are the fiscally 'responsible' city (where a good chunk of residents work in the 416 and they have a steady stream of developers cash). We keep hearing about how the lifestyle was better because housing was cheaper and you had nice wide roads. Now all that is coming to an end and Torontonians are probably engaging in a bit of Schadenfreude. We Torontonians, need our model validated and we felt a little insecure all those years and Mississauga revelled in the limelight.

Back