Toronto Living Shangri-La Toronto | 214.57m | 66s | Westbank | James Cheng

It is not supposed to undulate like creased paper - it is supposed to be a flat glass skin - it's just the way the the artist depicted reflections in the rendering that have some of you already set up for disappointment and claiming that the rendering wasn't correct.

Really? Well, that is a disappointment. Both renderings seem to show that - they are fairly misleading then.

Ya at no point did I think the glass was supposed to bend or shift in different directions.
If you were to look down from the top at the building I believe it would look something like this:
(pardon the horrible drawing in paint, but you should get the idea)

shangrila.jpg

And all 4 angled sides are flat.

Last edited:
It is not supposed to undulate like creased paper - it is supposed to be a flat glass skin - it's just the way the the artist depicted reflections in the rendering that have some of you already set up for disappointment and claiming that the rendering wasn't correct.

And where did you get this info from?

It is supposed to undulate like creased paper. The rendering is not misleading and it has nothing to do with shadows. The creases are even accounted for in the floor plans for units facing University Avenue.

Also, from the architects themselves:

The 704-foot glass tower is a timeless, elegant form,
respectful of its privileged setting on University
Avenue, Toronto’s grand boulevard. The tapered
appearance of the tower responds to its landmark site
on the curve of the avenue, opening to spectacular
city and lake views. Transparency is achieved by the
streamlined glazing along with a series of light-fi lled
glass pavilions at the podium to address the street in
an invitational manner. Landscaped indoor-outdoor
amenities on the ground fl oor and via elevated
terraces further animate the base of the property.
A unique folded faceting feature on the University
Avenue elevation provides additional architectural
interest, reminiscent of a prism, enlivening both
daytime and nighttime experiences of the building

Last edited:
Well it's only on the University Avenue side according to that, which could explain for the confusion. That would also explain why in one render you can see it and the other one you can not.

No prism like glass here:
SHANGRILA.jpg

But it is here:
slrender.jpg

Well it's only on the University Avenue side according to that, which could explain for the confusion. That would also explain why in one render you can see it and the other one you can not.

Parkdalian never said it would be on both sides. He just said the front, which Mike In TO responded to with "It will be flat".

PS. I dont know if they are new or not, but there are some night renderings of Shangri La on their website. It looks like it is going to have a white LED strip running along the middle of the side facing the lake, all the way up to a lantern on top. Sexy!

Last edited:

No prism like glass here:
SHANGRILA.jpg

But it is here:
slrender.jpg

Even the top render shows how the east-facing side will have angled planes. On the upper right corner you can see one of those planes form a kind of fin.

This has always been the case. Why is everyone getting so confused now?

Originally posted by Matrix Element...

3980682970_de0c1ab162_b.jpg

Love the shots Matrix... You've REALLY contributed in threads this weekend... GREAT work/shots...

***I think those are parking ramps at the back of the shot where it curves down...

I concur. Lots of contribution today from you Matrix Element! Thank you very much.

And yes I think that is the parking ramp.

Here's a shot of Shanrgi-la I took Yesterday.,,

Here's Shangri-la.... Nothing that exciting but it's definitely moving up!
CANNOT WAIT till this one reaches ground level :)... This photo turned out really bad that day... don't know why:shrug:

3988477820_ba5b4bb0c0_b.jpg

Photo by me: steveve

Enjoy :)

yeah this building will really add on to University.

Really add more prestige to the street.

Back