Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

I think that corridor would be best served with an express/local combination. Local being run by the TTC, express being run by GO transit. That way they can operate independently before fare integration is implemented, and then in tandum after it's implemented. I outlined how this might look on my fantasy map, which I uploaded a few months ago, I forget in which thread though, so I'll just upload it again to save everyone from digging through to find it.

gweed123 I think this is a perfect map for what's reasonable. There's no Queen subway on it, but I think eventually we'll need one. But you've got the DRL, Danforth subway replacing SRT, Eglinton subway, extension to Square One, finishing the Sheppard line from Downsview to STC. It's just perfect.

gweed123 I think this is a perfect map for what's reasonable. There's no Queen subway on it, but I think eventually we'll need one. But you've got the DRL, Danforth subway replacing SRT, Eglinton subway, extension to Square One, finishing the Sheppard line from Downsview to STC. It's just perfect.

Why thank you :) haha. Yeah, after reading the posts on here, I agree that an LRT along Queen will eventually be needed, I'll add it in. I was also thinking of adding in a few BRT lines (shared ROW, dedicated lane) along Islington, Dufferin, and possibly Woodbine. Any other suggestions?

Why thank you :) haha. Yeah, after reading the posts on here, I agree that an LRT along Queen will eventually be needed, I'll add it in. I was also thinking of adding in a few BRT lines (shared ROW, dedicated lane) along Islington, Dufferin, and possibly Woodbine. Any other suggestions?

I wouldn't put BRTs on the map. The "Queen Street Subway" was originally planned as a tunneled streetcar line, so I think a tunneled Queen LRT might work. Though I'd still prefer subway. I don't mind a tunneled LRT as long as it doesn't force a stupid transfer. I think the Eglinton LRT will run at subway speeds in the tunnel, so that's why I'm not so concerned with whether Eglinton is LRT or subway. I think they can tunnel more of Eglinton into the future. Though I think having the Eglinton LRT in its own ROW would be much better. Trenched or whatever. Especially with the Richview corridor right there.

I don't know Eglinton as LRT doesn't bother me quite as much as Sheppard. I think as long as the mode is consistent along the whole way I'm more cool with it.

I don't know Eglinton as LRT doesn't bother me quite as much as Sheppard. I think as long as the mode is consistent along the whole way I'm more cool with it.

I agree. However it seems almost EVERYONE wants to suggest that they continue the sheppard subway versus converting it to LRT. Ill sign the petition for a sheppard subway to LRT conversion...

THE only EAST WEST subway I can justify thinking of is QUEEN.. thats it...

I agree. However it seems almost EVERYONE wants to suggest that they continue the sheppard subway versus converting it to LRT. Ill sign the petition for a sheppard subway to LRT conversion...

THE only EAST WEST subway I can justify thinking of is QUEEN.. thats it...

I would never support a subway to LRT conversion.

Yea, I would support LRT conversion based purely on "lesser of two evils" approach. I know it is dumb, but just about anything is better than what is planned for the area.

Doing nothing really seems like the best option here. It seems fairly clear that most of this hasn't been thought through and by moving forward at such a brisk pace we are just screwing ourselves down the road. The only reason anything is even happening is so some ribbons can be cut and governments can issue press releases that they are spending our money.

I would never support a subway to LRT conversion.

Converting the Sheppard to LRT will allow faster building of the line west to Jane St than a subway to Downsview for a fraction of the cost. You then get a one seat ride from end to end than 4 that takes place today.

This is the only place you can do it.

The DRL would rank #2 to me for building new lines with the BD to Sheppard and Markham being #1 by the way of STC.

# 3 would be Finch to Steeles.

# 4 would be to Cloverdale area for the BD for a pile of reasons.

Converting the Sheppard to LRT will allow faster building of the line west to Jane St than a subway to Downsview for a fraction of the cost. You then get a one seat ride from end to end than 4 that takes place today.

This is the only place you can do it.

The DRL would rank #2 to me for building new lines with the BD to Sheppard and Markham being #1 by the way of STC.

# 3 would be Finch to Steeles.

# 4 would be to Cloverdale area for the BD for a pile of reasons.

do you live near Sheppard Avenue?

I would. If that Sheppard LRT is inevitable, I'd rather get rid of the transfer. Standing on principle on this point means imposing an arbitrary and unnecessary transfer on riders.

The only way keeping the Sheppard Subway in tact makes sense is if the DRL were extended to Don Mills, and then encorporated into the Sheppard line (ie Sheppard Subway becomes an add-on to the DRL, so the trains would begin at Dundas West (or whatever the western terminus ends up being), and then terminate at Sheppard-Yonge. If you're going to build an LRT-to-subway transfer at Don Mills anyways, why force it to be a subway-to-subway transfer as well? As well, any plans for extension of the DRL north of Sheppard are VERY long term, it's much more likely to be an LRT (in fact I believe the Finch LRT is terminating there already).

The only way keeping the Sheppard Subway in tact makes sense is if the DRL were extended to Don Mills, and then encorporated into the Sheppard line (ie Sheppard Subway becomes an add-on to the DRL, so the trains would begin at Dundas West (or whatever the western terminus ends up being), and then terminate at Sheppard-Yonge. If you're going to build an LRT-to-subway transfer at Don Mills anyways, why force it to be a subway-to-subway transfer as well? As well, any plans for extension of the DRL north of Sheppard are VERY long term, it's much more likely to be an LRT (in fact I believe the Finch LRT is terminating there already).
That makes sense in a comical way. On a less comical note (and this is the DRL thread,) if the DRL is going to snake it's way up Don Mills, it should go to Finch. The density of Don Mills continues to Finch, and it'll also connect with Seneca College, as well as a possible unknown future Hydro Corridor route. It'll also probably draw a fair number of riders off Finch, which is the heaviest bus corridor in the city, right?

That makes sense in a comical way. On a less comical note (and this is the DRL thread,) if the DRL is going to snake it's way up Don Mills, it should go to Finch. The density of Don Mills continues to Finch, and it'll also connect with Seneca College, as well as a possible unknown future Hydro Corridor route. It'll also probably draw a fair number of riders off Finch, which is the heaviest bus corridor in the city, right?

I know, it is a pretty "well if we've screwed it up this badly already, might as well make something out of it" scenario. At least if it becomes part of the DRL it isn't this orphan stretch of 5 subway stops.

Umm I'd still say the Front/Railway alignment, maybe ducking up to Wellington just before Jarvis, then back down at University.

That makes no sense. The ridership at King, Queen, and Dundas stations are 65970 (37%), 56290 (32%), and 54110 (31%). If you expect to relieve the YUS subway by putting a line on Wellington or Front you are making 31% walk a ridiculous distance.

Back