2.6K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.7K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 10K     10 

Toronto non-mall retail (Odds & Ends)

• Thread starter marksimpson7843
  • Start date
The Bay and Bloor Tim Horton's has opened their Cold Stone counter as well. I was amazed at the flow of customers, given that there hasn't really been any marketing to go with the launch. I can't see the cobranding lasting long tho, I'm sure it'll just be a matter of time before Cold Stone goes to a standalone format.

The new Longo's Supermarket on Dundas, just west of Bay St, is opening in a few days. I think it said June 26th. It doesn't look like a huge store but it looks well designed, from what I can tell.

re: Tim Ho's/Coldstone co-branding: brilliant strategy in Canada, where icecream is a seasonal thing. It reminds me of Kensington Market fave Pennylick's, where they sell damned good coffee+damned good gelato/icecream: good business sense. (And Hollywood Gelato on Bayview.) Meanwhile, that (now closed) gelato place on Roncevalles failed to realize you need both coffee and gelato to make it in Toronto.

Longos - Dundas

I gave the new Sobey's Spadina its own thread cause its such a departure from their previous stores and might merit further discussion.

But I will comment on the new Longo's here.

I was in on Sunday.

Busy, but not packed.

As always from Longo's, a good prepared foods section, this one may be their best or most gourmet yet.

However, the rest of the store is nice, but nothing ground-breaking.

Very awkwardly laid out, the store wraps around the corner, one wing going east, the other south. The connection is a bit bottlenecked, I'm sure they did what they could with the building being the shape it is; but its an impediment.

Spoke to a staff person; their observations:

- Far from empty, not nearly as busy as Longo's hoped in the first week; they're being told it may be the City worker's strike.....

- More price-sensitive customers than expected. They've been raked over the coals by customers who don't like their prices, apparently many comparisons to Chinatown are being made, not what Longo's anticipated.

- For some reason they can't sell banana's! :p Apparently they are a big seller at most stores and in this one they can't quite give them away.

Finally, he offered notes on other Longo's

- New Locations @ HBC Bloor to open soon; and in Richmond Hill and Aurora before year's end.

- New Location beside ACC is stucturally complete, but they won't finish/open it till work on the towers are done, opening expected first quarter 2010 or thereabouts.

- The ACC location to be 2 floors, possibly larger than originally anticipated, will very much be a full sized store, maybe even Longo's biggest.

They've been raked over the coals by customers who don't like their prices, apparently many comparisons to Chinatown are being made, not what Longo's anticipated.

...I'd be very surprised too, considering the two extremely different experiences of grocery shopping. I love shopping for fresh produce and such in Chinatown, because of the prices - I don't expect any major chain to match those prices.

Madras Pantry on WQW@Walnut is hot!

But their dosa's aren't that spicy--bring your own cayenne pepper along everywhere like I do, and you won't be disappointed! Thums Up sold here--:)

dsc06967k.jpg

It's been open about a week, and their grocery section looks great as well.

Might be nothing but the for lease sign on the Nike store north of Yonge and Eglinton is gone. They might just be cleaning up on the inside, I'll keep an eye out.

Brooks Brothers RBC Plaza opening Aug 26..

Construction is all completed and the store is stocked, window display cases now unconvered..

Back