Toronto Four Eleven King Condominiums | 149.04m | 45s | Great Gulf | KPMB

I just walked by, and it has been torn up again. There's 4 foot piles of dirt all around the site, some pipes which seem to have been dug up, and it's fenced off. Seems there's a doings transpiring.

Deep Foundations equipment on site today. Perhaps some concrete piles to support the main floor slab. Let's hope!

Taken yesterday:

img57821.jpg
img57831.jpg

I still can't believe they're wasting this corner on a 1-storey LCBO. Doesn't it seem like a waste at one of the landmark intersections in the city?

Yes, but it's temporary. Per Adam Vaughan, the owner of the lot also owns the Winners next door; when their lease is up (couple of years I think) his plan is to redevelop the whole thing, or so he says. For now, I'm happy to see the end of a parking lot.

The company which owns this lot is related to the owners of the property immediately to the east, not the property to the south where Winners is.

This situation is a bit curious and hard to explain. It's possible that the LCBO is being viewed as a temporary use which could generate "holding income", but if I were the LCBO, I'd be looking for a more permanent location in the neighbourhood. I can't believe a one-storey structure would last for long here.

Probably more like 5-10 years for the LCBO, or whenever the next condo cycle rolls around. But then again, I'm fairly pessimistic re. the economy.

So millions will be spend to develop and build an LCBO, only to tear it down in a couple of years? This makes no sense.

I still can't believe they're wasting this corner on a 1-storey LCBO. Doesn't it seem like a waste at one of the landmark intersections in the city?

A long standing parking lot is even worse use of space. If only all the parking lots in the downtown would be developed with one storey retail as it may take the rest of our lifetimes for condos or offices to eat them all.

So millions will be spend to develop and build an LCBO, only to tear it down in a couple of years?

It amazes me how temporary big box buildings are. They demolished a roughly ten year old Walmart to build a Lowes on a slightly modified footprint at Warden & Eglinton.

Back