News   May 24, 2024
 9.1K     2 
News   May 24, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   May 24, 2024
 495     0 

Globe: Second NHL Team for Toronto?

Other than winning one whole playoff series, how so?

The Vince Carter era alone provided more excitement from the Raptors than the Leafs have my entire lifetime. Bash him all you want, when he was in his prime he was the "chosen one" and we had perhaps the brightest star in all of sports suiting up in a Toronto jersey (save for maybe a few soccer players and Tiger Woods, it's a shame he lacked the mental toughness because he physically had all the tools to be the next big thing).

Every heard of the Cubs? Red Sox 1903-2006? I guess you don't follow sports that much

Those teams weren't selling out every game now were they? Even in the Red Sox tiny ballpark it wasn't hard to get a cheap ticket at Fenway. Were they charging ridiculous seat license fees as well? No. In fact I remember going to Wrigley and getting tickets for $4 a pop back in the 90's with some friends of a scalper, the place was pretty empty too. Fenway was a similar story when we went. When those teams perform poorly, even their diehard fans don't hysterically keep their wallets wide open like the idiotic leaf fans do. That's my point.

Those teams weren't selling out every game now were they? Even in the Red Sox tiny ballpark it wasn't hard to get a cheap ticket at Fenway. Were they charging ridiculous seat license fees as well? No. In fact I remember going to Wrigley and getting tickets for $4 a pop back in the 90's with some friends of a scalper, the place was pretty empty too. Fenway was a similar story when we went. When those teams perform poorly, even their diehard fans don't hysterically keep their wallets wide open like the idiotic leaf fans do. That's my point.

Hey now. I don't think it's a matter of idiocy, it's just that there are too many NHL fans around here and not enough tickets. Fenway holds about 40,000 people and the Red Sox play 81 home games per season; the ACC holds 19,000 for hockey and the Leafs play 41 home games. If Fenway's seat-in-butt potential was cut by 75%, how much trouble would they have selling out every game?

Ruling on the future of Coyotes expected later today

With the Penguins parading the Stanley Cup around Pittsburgh today, the attention of hockey fans around the world turns to a court room in Phoenix, where a decision on the future of the Coyotes is expected later in the day.

Judge Redfield T. Baum has been deliberating for the majority of the weekend on the details of the Chapter 11 bankruptcy claim filed by former Coyotes' owner Jerry Moyes and Research in Motion CEO Jim Balsillie's attempt to move the team from Phoenix to Hamilton.

While Judge Baum did not tip his hand prior to last Tuesday's hearing, he did discuss the matter of a relocation fee to be paid to the NHL if the Coyotes are moved to Hamilton.*

The NHL's wish all along has been to keep the team in Arizona.* Most recently, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman made court filings stating that there were four investor groups who have offered to purchase the team and keep them in Phoenix, including Toronto Argonauts owners Howard Sokolowski and David Cynamon. The league's contention was that NHL rules governing ownership and the potential movement of a franchise took precedent over any court decisions.

Judge Baum has examined a number of documents from the NHL, Balsillie, Moyes, and the other major pro leagues (NFL, MLB, NBA). Baum debated the legalities of Moyes being able to sell the Coyotes, who were operating under bankruptcy protection, to Balsillie.

The critical question facing Baum is whether the Coyotes are a portable asset, whether Moyes has the right to sell to Balsillie (knowing that he wanted to relocate the team) and whether the court has the power or inclination to allow a bankruptcy court-ordered sale to supercede the rules and regulations of a professional sports league.

Phoenix represents Balsillie's third attempt to bring a seventh team north of the border.

The Blackberry billionaire has been pursuing an NHL franchise for some time, coming up empty in plans to acquire the Pittsburgh Penguins and Nashville Predators. Balsillie's $220 million offer for the Predators fell through in 2007 after he started taking season ticket deposits in Hamilton, while his bid to purchase the Penguins in 2006 was withdrawn after receiving notice from the NHL that the league would restrict his control over the team.

His interest in the Coyotes became public on May 5, 2009 when he put in an offer of $212.5 million to owner Jerry Moyes, as well as agreeing to post debtor-in-possession financing of $17 million (U.S.) to enable the team to operate prior to the sale. Once again, Balsillie's offer was contingent on him moving the franchise to Southern Ontario.* Balsillie has also set up a website, makeitseven.ca where thousands of hockey fans have expressed their desire to see a seventh NHL team brought to Canada.

Should Judge Baum award the franchise to Balsillie, it is expected that the NHL would appeal thus putting the Coyotes in limbo for the upcoming season.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=281936

"The judge did rule that the NHL could not block Balsillie from buying the team but he said other sections of the bankruptcy laws establish that the NHL has rights to compensation."

It's not blocked--he just needs to compensate them, and we already knew that.

lol at that photo.
I think you'd be hard pressed to find another team in all of pro sports that is as well supported and profitable as the Leafs, yet never wins.

The amount of time/money invested by Leafs fans must be unreal, a real poor return for their entertainment dollars/time that's for sure! Probably the worst anywhere.

Two words....Chicago Cubs!

And some of those other MLSE expenses you're talking about are part of their condo developments near the ACC.

They are being done at the same time....but they are not part of the development.....there are very clear lines (demanded by the lenders and MLSE's partners in the cono deal {who have no interest in the team or arena} ) on what is part of the condo deal and what is part of the arena upgrades....yes they are being done at the same time because that makes sense (ie. one series of disruptions not two) but they are not intermingled and they are financed totally from MLSE resources and not the condo deal finances.

Two words....Chicago Cubs!

You can't compare the Leafs to the Cubs and Red Sox!
Wow some people are daft.
Even if Fenway/Wrigley are larger, even if they have twice as many home games in baseball... when those teams are in the dumps you can pretty much go see a game for nothing at either of their parks (certainly not the Red Sox in the past decade or so though). You'll never, ever in your lifetime be able to go see a Leafs game for half of the original admission price from a scalper or just walk in and get tickets from the box office. If the Red Sox tanked, you can bet your ass you'd be able to do that shortly there after, and you can do that for the Cubs even when they're playing well most of the time.

Leafs fans are a different breed. They just spend spend spend on a horrible return for their entertainment dollar. There's really nothing quite like it in all of sports. A second NHL team in the region would do wonders for showing all those morons how bad they're being duped.

Even if Fenway/Wrigley are larger, even if they have twice as many home games in baseball... when those teams are in the dumps you can pretty much go see a game for nothing at either of their parks (certainly not the Red Sox in the past decade or so though). You'll never, ever in your lifetime be able to go see a Leafs game for half of the original admission price from a scalper or just walk in and get tickets from the box office. If the Red Sox tanked, you can bet your ass you'd be able to do that shortly there after, and you can do that for the Cubs even when they're playing well most of the time.

Leafs fans are a different breed. They just spend spend spend on a horrible return for their entertainment dollar. There's really nothing quite like it in all of sports. A second NHL team in the region would do wonders for showing all those morons how bad they're being duped.

There seems to be no convincing you that the Cubs are well supported and profitable (your original description of the Leafs).....your experience of getting tickets for next to nothing is not one I have seen in my 10+ visits to Wrigley....what I see is an entire part of a large city that turns into a massive party every time the Cubs take the field....with the possible exception of very early in the season when the weather totally sucks and Wrigley is a cold place to sit.

So you are entitled to your opinion on this, as I am....doesn't make either of us "daft" just that we have had different experiences.

What the Cubs clearly show is the relatively little impact that an alternative team can have on the established brand. To Chicago baseball fans, the Cubs have always been the favoured team and the Sox the week sister.

I will use the last decade as an example (a decade when the Sox have won a World Championship and had pretty good teams most of the time).

The average Cubs attendance in the last 10 seasons.....37,248 for 94.12% sold out (adjusting the capacity for the various minor expansions during that time)....The Sox (who downsized their stadium during this decade) have averaged 26,131 for 62% sold out.

Fans who identify with a team/club/franchise do not move on to another team just because there is a winner across town. A team in Hamilton, or anywhere else in the GTA/SO will always be considered "the other" team and have to work very hard to draw away from the established brand/tradition that is the Leafs.

(note....not factored into Cubs attendance are the few thousand watching from across the street in the various rooftop establishments.....across the street they charge $250 a head for a roof view of the game with some food!)

Chicago Cubs Chicago White Sox
Capacity Average attendance Percent sold Capacity Average attendance Percent sold
2008 41,118.00 40,743.00 99.09% 40,615.00 30,877.00 76.02%
2007 41,118.00 40,153.00 97.65% 40,615.00 33,140.00 81.60%
2006 41,118.00 39,040.00 94.95% 40,615.00 36,511.00 89.90%
2005 38,884.00 38,753.00 99.66% 40,615.00 28,923.00 71.21%
2004 38,884.00 39,138.00 100.65% 40,615.00 24,437.00 60.17%
2003 38,884.00 37,032.00 95.24% 44,321.00 23,944.00 54.02%
2002 38,884.00 33,248.00 85.51% 44,321.00 20,701.00 46.71%
2001 38,884.00 35,196.00 90.52% 44,321.00 22,077.00 49.81%
2000 38,884.00 34,438.00 88.57% 44,321.00 24,047.00 54.26%
1999 38,884.00 34,739.00 89.34% 44,321.00 16,656.00 37.58%

37,248.00 94.12% 26,131.30 62.13%

wish my posting skills include knowing how to get those colums to line up!

source for attendance figures is www.baseball-almanac.com

Last edited:
The Vince Carter era alone provided more excitement from the Raptors than the Leafs have my entire lifetime. Bash him all you want, when he was in his prime he was the "chosen one" and we had perhaps the brightest star in all of sports suiting up in a Toronto jersey (save for maybe a few soccer players and Tiger Woods, it's a shame he lacked the mental toughness because he physically had all the tools to be the next big thing).
I'd argue he didn't have enough physical toughness either, and even for the short time he flattered to deceive, the public didn't agree with you if we compare Leaf and Raptor TV ratings. And can it even be said that Vince left any kind of a legacy to the Raptors when the Argos kill the Raptors in the ratings?

They are being done at the same time....but they are not part of the development.....there are very clear lines (demanded by the lenders and MLSE's partners in the cono deal {who have no interest in the team or arena} ) on what is part of the condo deal and what is part of the arena upgrades....yes they are being done at the same time because that makes sense (ie. one series of disruptions not two) but they are not intermingled and they are financed totally from MLSE resources and not the condo deal finances.
Is that you Richard Peddie?

Hey now. I don't think it's a matter of idiocy, it's just that there are too many NHL fans around here and not enough tickets. Fenway holds about 40,000 people and the Red Sox play 81 home games per season; the ACC holds 19,000 for hockey and the Leafs play 41 home games. If Fenway's seat-in-butt potential was cut by 75%, how much trouble would they have selling out every game?
The Leafs couldn't sell out for most of the 80's (less than 16,000 seats) unless the game was against one of the marquee teams. It really took the move to the ACC and the relaunch of the Leafs brand (i.e. going totally corporate) to guarantee sell outs.

The Red Sox and Yankees have also gone corporate with similar results.

I think Leafs fans would still spend regardless. There are just too many of them, and too many corporations willing to pay.

Assuming the NHL gets it the way it wants, a second GTA team only guarantees a huge expansion fee for the NHL.

Oh come ON, you can't discount the tiny supply and enormous demand in this situation. Yes, you'll never buy them at the gate because they're just not available. There are more people willing to buy season tickets than there are seats in the ACC. You have maybe 18,000 season ticket holders who are never going to give up their seats, suckage or not, because it's a solid business investment. Entertainment-wise it might not be so much of a deal; but selling those tickets to any number of people who are otherwise unable to obtain them is definitely profitable.

I'm a Leaf fan. Often I wish I wasn't, but you can't really decide these things. :p I haven't given MLSE a dime in more than 8 years, but lack of opportunity is a definite factor in that outcome. Anyway, Toronto is too big a hockey town for just one NHL team, so I say the more teams the better.

Back