Toronto First Canadian Place Rejuvenation | 298.08m | 72s | Brookfield | MdeAS Architects

Good suggestion. I'd also guess it will last longer than the 35 odd years the current marble has.

This is an Iranian quarry. Are we on ok terms with them?

Travertine%20Quarry.GIF

^^^ No. Our foreign policy towards Iran basically follows the UN line (no direct air links, economic sanctions, etc). They have a very bad human rights record (their government kidnapped, tortured, and killed a Canadian journalist).

I think the glass will look fine, as long as it's not as reflective as window glass.

Last edited:
that is absolutely hilarious. welcome to UT! promote this man.

They have a very bad human rights record (their government kidnapped, tortured, and killed a Canadian journalist).

Like the U.S. and Maher Arrar...but we maintain ties with them anyway.

P.End: I don't think FCP has ever spoken to people in the same way that the TD Centre does. When it first went up it looked like Saturday Night Fever; now it looks like The Picture of Dorian Gray. What goes around comes around, I guess - the unfortunate choice of marble rather disqualifies it from the sort of reverence we reserve for the better-thought-out Mies group across the street. A facelift, an entirely new look maybe, seems perfectly sensible.

P.End: I don't think FCP has ever spoken to people in the same way that the TD Centre does.

90% of people in the GTA probably have no idea what the "TD Centre" is, and even if you told them it was a group of 4 tall black towers, they probably still wouldn't remember them.

Whereas almost EVERYONE in the GTA knows about First Canadian Place (or the BMO tower as many people outside downtown know it). Besides the CN Tower, it's the building many people have ingrained in their head when they think about downtown Toronto.

90% of people in the GTA probably have no idea what the "TD Centre" is, and even if you told them it was a group of 4 tall black towers, they probably still wouldn't remember them.

Whereas almost EVERYONE in the GTA knows about First Canadian Place (or the BMO tower as many people outside downtown know it). Besides the CN Tower, it's the building many people have ingrained in their head when they think about downtown Toronto.

I'm not sure that's correct.

Well, maybe it's not the building many have ingrained in their head when they think about Toronto, but it is definately the best-known tower downtown by non-architecture-junkies. I used to call it the BMO tower until 4 years ago actually, and that was the first skyscraper I'd bothered to know the real name of.

P.End: I don't think FCP has ever spoken to people in the same way that the TD Centre does. When it first went up it looked like Saturday Night Fever; now it looks like The Picture of Dorian Gray. What goes around comes around, I guess - the unfortunate choice of marble rather disqualifies it from the sort of reverence we reserve for the better-thought-out Mies group across the street. A facelift, an entirely new look maybe, seems perfectly sensible.

People are always dumping on Edward Durrell Stone.

I know. No respect. I think if he hadn't used the middle name everything would have worked out for him.

Ed Stone. Sounds much better.

I'm usually the last person to defend citizens of the GTA, but this is very untrue. The TD centre is a world-renowned icon of modernist architecture. FCP is not nearly as esteemed.

I'm sure the new glass will do an excellent job of mimicing the carrera marble and the skyline impact will be minimal, except that FCP will no longer resemble British teeth.

Actually, when I first came to Toronto, the buildings that stuck out to me the most was those black buildings. I absolutely loved them, because I had seen nothing like them before. I had no idea what they were for at the time, and didn't care. They were just so awesome. Of course the tallest one was awesome too, but I didn't remember it as well.
I'm sure the new glass will do an excellent job of mimicing the carrera marble and the skyline impact will be minimal, except that FCP will no longer resemble British teeth.
That is such a perfect analogy! It made me laugh.

Perhaps the world's largest Advertisement..

S&M: That could be the World's largest advertisement for today's IPod perhaps...with billions of downloads also perhaps! LI MIKE

Well, maybe it's not the building many have ingrained in their head when they think about Toronto, but it is definately the best-known tower downtown by non-architecture-junkies. I used to call it the BMO tower until 4 years ago actually, and that was the first skyscraper I'd bothered to know the real name of.

Well, the only reason it would be "best known" is that it has the logo up on top, and had it from day one (unlike CCW). Without said logo...

And if you think the TD tower deserves a logo, your flayed carcass deserves to be strung up from the rafters of Mies' abandoned Nun's Island Esso station...

Back