News   May 01, 2024
 12     0 
News   Apr 30, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Apr 30, 2024
 2.1K     5 

Mirabel Airport to become amusement park

Mirabel was just a bad idea that intervention, or not, has worked itself out over time by coming to an end. The only thing it did was add another hour of travel time for everybody. The situation that exists right now works well. Both cities are well served by domestic flights. Ottawa doesn't have as many international flights, but it does have some, and if you have to go to Dorval for some reason, it is only an 1 hour 45 minutes by train (sometimes shorter), which is at most an extra hour over Mirabel. If a high speed connection were created between Ottawa and Montreal the trip would probably be an hour and would result in Mirabel having been only marginally closer for the few flights that Ottawans require Dorval for. So really the most efficient situation has emerged in the end. May future transportation planners take note of Mirabel and its lesson in inefficiency.

Mirabel was just a bad idea that intervention, or not, has worked itself out over time by coming to an end. The only thing it did was add another hour of travel time for everybody. The situation that exists right now works well. Both cities are well served by domestic flights. Ottawa doesn't have as many international flights, but it does have some, and if you have to go to Dorval for some reason, it is only an 1 hour 45 minutes by train (sometimes shorter),

Couple of questions....is it true that Ottawa does not have a lot of international flights? I don't, honestly, know but that would strike me strange for a G7 nation's capital's airport?

The second question is about training to to Dorval from Ottawa.....I was just in Montreal on the weekend. When we drove to the airport my buddy (who was headed back to the states) asked me how you get from the train station to the terminal....I honestly did not know....do you? Is there a shuttle? do you have to get a cab? Is there a tunnel with moving sidewalks?

Couple of questions....is it true that Ottawa does not have a lot of international flights? I don't, honestly, know but that would strike me strange for a G7 nation's capital's airport?

Ottawa's actually quite well-served for a city of its size, with transatlantic flights to both London and Frankfurt. It's in a better position than, for example, Berlin.

Meanwhile, over at http://www.iparks-ogerinternational-consortium.com/, things do seem to be stalled, literally: there's still an operating website for this project but it quit loading its intro for me when it hit 31%, which coincidentally is the same likelihood that this project will get built.

You guys have a go at it and let me know what happens.

The page loaded just fine for me. It said Aerodream/Reveport. The page also said that the "futuristic indoor park will have a 350-room hotel and a convention centre, Cinemas, Artificial Beaches in a tropical ambiance, and a 5000-space parking lot. Aha, now I found what the individual sections of the park will be :

-Reveport - a giant geodesic dome to house a giant spherical screen. Stars and planets will be projected onto it

-Aerodream - an aquarium with an underwater tunnel

-Miraplage - indoor beach in a tropical setting

-MiraSpa - a relaxation centre with a spa "Hammam", Sauna, and "Baneotherapie" *can someone translate those for me? My french is only so good.

-Cinemas - movie theatres, with Hollywood decor (?)

-Galerie Commerciale - arcade games, studio TV, disco/karaoke, interactive museum, children's garden(?), restaurants and bars.

The following areas of the original airport will be renovated:

-Hotel Mirabel - Renovation of the 300-room hotel has begun in 2006(?)

-Parking Mirabel - The Parking will be renovated

-Business Centre - Renovation of the administrative building to be converted into a place for symposiums and seminars.

-Other developments - Auditorium and a ultra-modern concert hall

-Other attractions - in the next phase (gee that's helpful)

Here's the pdf from the website:

Well, actually, no, it's here

edit: it takes somewhat of a long time to load. be patient

Last edited:
Mirabel Airport - A White Elephant?

Everyone: Interesting topic concerning closing Mirabel Airport and converting it into an amusement park-has it suffered because Dorval Airport is so much closer to Montreal?
I feel that AMT should have extended the Deux-Montagnes electrified rail line there when it was rebuilt in the mid 90s-a rail link there would have made sense.
I noted the cartoon symbol of the white elephant-very appropriate in how it is described here!
Thoughts from LI MIKE

Back