Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

This is a funny statement to make, considering that LRT line probably carries less people than the (non-BRT) buses in the Hurontario/Main corridor.

That's a good point. Until we see an LRT line built in suburban Toronto, we can't make any blanket statements about a rise in ridership versus the existing bus service and especially versus a hypothetical BRT line.

Incidentally, the Minneapolis LRT cost $715 million, is 19 km long and carries 32,000 riders a day.

How much rise in ridership did the LRT see though ?

^not sure about Minneapolis, but LRT systems in the US usually result in the cut or downgrading of service to several bus lines that parallel the LRT route.

In Los Angeles, it was determined that the construction of the Blue (Long Beach - Downtown) line did not result in any ridership gains for the first 10 years of operation and actually resulted in a net farebox revenue loss because double-fare express bus services on the I-110 were axed.

^not sure about Minneapolis, but LRT systems in the US usually result in the cut or downgrading of service to several bus lines that parallel the LRT route.

In Los Angeles, it was determined that the construction of the Blue (Long Beach - Downtown) line did not result in any ridership gains for the first 10 years of operation and actually resulted in a net farebox revenue loss because double-fare express bus services on the I-110 were axed.

This is why it bother me that LRT proponents belittle the importance bus system so much. I do think LRT is the solution for Hurontario, but to suggest that the quality of bus service will not affect ridership is ridiculous. Yet, that is what proponents of LRT argue. If LRT truly increases ridership as much they claim, then LRT expansion it should be accompanied by increase in bus service, not decrease.

Does anyone know what's going on with this project? The website hasn't been updated since late October, early November.

Does anyone know what's going on with this project? The website hasn't been updated since late October, early November.

Thats odd... I thought they would have indicated on the site that funding for this project was announced as part of the infrastructure spending outlined yesterday...

There are 2 EA's taking place at the same time and the next round for the public is in a few months.

Land planning is taking place first with the LRT right behind it.

The plan is to go to Metrolinx this summer for business case study and that where I have my fear on seeing a BRT, not LRT because of Brampton.

If the plan development for Hurontario and Eglinton goes ahead as plan, 900 to 2,500 new riders would use Hurontario using the low scale. It worked out that additional 15 to 90 buses would be needed to move these new riders alone depending on the time of day. You are down to a bus every 4 minute to 30 seconds just for this development.

If and when the other 2 corners development surface, no way buses can service this area.

coming from thronhill where a yonge extension is propsed, i jsut wanna say that i hope you gyus get your LRT, honestly i kept reading on this forum about how you guys were complaining about hurontario and al lthis beieng so busy and I didn't believe it till i went on the weekend holy cr** it is busy, Hurontario deffinitly needs LRT :), like honestly Hurontario seems more busy then Yonge st, but maybe it was jsut the time of day or the day i was there, but yea lol if Yonge needs a subay Hurontario deff needs LRT

coming from thronhill where a yonge extension is propsed, i jsut wanna say that i hope you gyus get your LRT, honestly i kept reading on this forum about how you guys were complaining about hurontario and al lthis beieng so busy and I didn't believe it till i went on the weekend holy cr** it is busy, Hurontario deffinitly needs LRT :), like honestly Hurontario seems more busy then Yonge st, but maybe it was jsut the time of day or the day i was there, but yea lol if Yonge needs a subay Hurontario deff needs LRT

Well then, I hope you get your subay!

They are adding new service this weekend so maybe it will make some difference.

8 minutes on Sat. 14 minutes on Sunday from start at 9:30 am to 9:30 pm from the 30 minutes up to 11am and after 7pm. Long over due. Still like to see 20 minutes in place of 30.

I think it will be a mistake to have the 101 serve UTM and the 102 serve CCTT. Even the 109 does not serve CCTT, even though it probably should.

Back