News   May 22, 2024
 254     1 
News   May 22, 2024
 259     0 
News   May 22, 2024
 329     0 

York Region Transit: Viva service thread

Moreover a lot of ridership from York region is taking the Steeles bus to get to destinations other then Finch station ... and they're paying the double fair now.

That's not true. Virtually all of the Steeles East's ridership is going straight to and from Finch station. And a visible majority of Steeles East riders come from north of Steeles.

I just don't agree with the later comment ... most riders of Steeles east are not from the North ...

Anyway regarding my comment I was mainly referring to Steeles west where I do see many riders transferring to at Yonge and Steeles from YRT buses coming from the North.

There really aren't enough facts to back up any of these arguments so I'm just going to call it quits now ... like I said we'll see in due time.
Until then let's talk about something else.

Whatever happened to those viva TV's is a good question. Another question, when is the fare hike suppose to take effect? Or was it just suggested and not approved yet?

Yes, the majority of Steeles East riders are riding to/from the north side of Steeles, and I wouldn't be surprised if the same was true of Steeles West.

This is based on what? Your opinion?
If you have some facts to back that up please present them and I'll happily recant any previous argument I made. Based on my experience that opposite is the case ... particularly with Steeles West. But, again, this is only based on my opinion and not fact as I'm assuming your argument is as well.

Until then this is a pointless discussion as I attempted to indicate in my previous post.

i'm guessing that the contract wasn't renewed with the advertising company that ran the tv sets. either that or the ad company was losing money and didn't find it as effective as they originally thought.

personally, i always thought that the info on the screens was very poor. Onestop is much better on the subway platforms.

Completely agree, the news is pretty much useless. The other problem is so few people can actually see it. You pretty much need to be at the front.

This is based on what? Your opinion?
If you have some facts to back that up please present them and I'll happily recant any previous argument I made. Based on my experience that opposite is the case ... particularly with Steeles West. But, again, this is only based on my opinion and not fact as I'm assuming your argument is as well.

Until then this is a pointless discussion as I attempted to indicate in my previous post.

Deny it all you want, but four people have already told you there's plenty thousands of trips starting and ending in the 905 made on Steeles buses.

It's hardly pointless just because you're wrong...the double fare affects southern York Region more than anywhere else in the GTA, and nothing will have a bigger impact on YRT ridership than dealing with it.

Moreover I take Viva blue very often, there are quite a lot of people who get off at Yonge and Steeles and pay the *double* fare just to make use of the steeles bus ... because the service isn't there North of Steeles and South of Hi-way 7 (The service which doesn't currently already make it way to Finch) and I don't think it really ever will be.

I occasionally take this bus (when I can't get a lift to Steeles or to the subway), too.

First, there aren't "quite a lot" of people that get off at Steeles -- it is a handful at best, and an underwhelming minority of riders. Most are staying on, because they are headed to the subway.

Second, the handful of people who you do see getting off the Blue at Steeles is dwarfed by the number of people who never got on it on the first place. They never got on because they are avoiding the double fare.

Deny it all you want, but four people have already told you there's plenty thousands of trips starting and ending in the 905 made on Steeles buses.

It's hardly pointless just because you're wrong...the double fare affects southern York Region more than anywhere else in the GTA, and nothing will have a bigger impact on YRT ridership than dealing with it.

A lot of those trips start and end on Steeles because Steeles is the destination. Eliminating the double fair won't change that at all.

So out of the current ridership ... what percent do you think use Steeles East or West to avoid the double fair?

It's hard to say, maybe 10% of peak hour ridership on Steeles comes from double fare evading passengers. The bigger question though is how much would YRT ridership increase if the double fare was eliminated? That step alone would easily allow YRT to meet or exceed all of its ridership targets for the next 10 years.

It's funny how our transportation system is based around a surveyor's line set in the 1700s... I bet the surveyor had no idea he would leave behind such a legacy 200 years later.

It's funny how our transportation system is based around a surveyor's line set in the 1700s... I bet the surveyor had no idea he would leave behind such a legacy 200 years later.

There is a solution....absorb southern York Region into the 416.

Back