Toronto London On The Esplanade Condos | 102.1m | 33s | Cityzen | Burka

The use of real brick makes all the difference. The contrast between the green and red looks great. Thanks for all the updates casaguy.

The Condo Guide now lists the occupancy as early 2009.. Anybody can narrow it down?

The east tower move in date was officially Nov 2008. After going in for choosing upgrades the projected move in date was February. Which we think will be March.

I would put the west tower 3 to 5 months past that.

I tend to agree with W.II.
We have been given a move date of March 09 (West Tower). Feeling sceptical on that though. At this point it is getting a little tougher to make a call on these dates, though. I figure closer to the end of next summer...but..you never know.
Does anyone know at what point before the moving date they need to send you another 'delay of completion' letter? It starts to get tricky planning your life at this point. (present short term rental agreements etc.)

Does anyone know at what point before the moving date they need to send you another 'delay of completion' letter? It starts to get tricky planning your life at this point. (present short term rental agreements etc.)

Assuming you only have a tentative occupancy date, then the following applies:

If the purchase agreement gives a tentative occupancy date, your builder is required to inform you in writing of the confirmed occupancy date no later than 30 days after the roof assembly is completed (or another specific stage of construction as specified in the purchase agreement).

and then:
Once the confirmed occupancy date is established, your builder is allowed to extend it once by up to 120 days. In this situation, your builder must give you at least 65 days written notice. They can also extend the date by up to 15 days if they give you at least 35 days written notice.

For more info see: http://www.tarion.com/HOME/Warranty...DelayedOccupancyProtectionforCondominiums.htm

Wow, I wish more Toronto developments would use this kind of red brick. It looks so good!

DSCN3719.jpg

Wow, I wish more Toronto developments would use this kind of red brick. It looks so good!

DSCN3719.jpg

The builder Cityzen is doing a lot of projects - some with rather outstanding designs, like the Absolute in Mississauga (the Marilyn Monroe). Judging by the London quality we would see a lot more nice highrise buildings from them.

My sister bought a place and her move in date is March of 2009.

My friend bought one too at opening and he had already made a bundle. I hope your sister bought early too.

My friend also told me that new bylaws will make all new building permits issued for projects east of London shorter, hence London is offering a better view than all future buildings.

My friend also told me that new bylaws will make all new building permits issued for projects east of London shorter, hence London is offering a better view than all future buildings.

How tall is LOTE and is that bylaw limited to buildings within a certain distance from LOTE?

I thought Context's Market Wharf, which is east of LOTE, was much taller.

The green glass and red brick definitely turned out well. I think this is one of those instances where the original render didn't do the actual building justice.

Market Wharf is 32 stories at least. Perhaps the project was approved before the by-law was in place. At least London and Market Wharf are far enough apart that there will be some views to the east.

The builder Cityzen is doing a lot of projects - some with rather outstanding designs, like the Absolute in Mississauga (the Marilyn Monroe). Judging by the London quality we would see a lot more nice highrise buildings from them.

Thanks for the nice picture.. this building is going to be very nice. a mix variety of material... the rich red brick that matches the brick warehouse down the street. The Designer at Burka Architects sure did a nice job on it!

How tall is LOTE and is that bylaw limited to buildings within a certain distance from LOTE?

Market Wharf is 32 stories at least. Perhaps the project was approved before the by-law was in place. At least London and Market Wharf are far enough apart that there will be some views to the east.

Bylaw, hmm? When the London application was going through the approvals process Toronto was barely into the new age of 40 and 50 storey condos, and 60 and 70 and even 80 storey condos were only a wet dream. The idea was that new building heights along the Esplanade would step down gradually between London and the built form of the much lower rise St. Lawrence neighbourhood.

In the years between London and Market Wharf applications, however, more and more emphasis was placed on adding density both by the City and developers, and more and more newspaper architecture columnists have asked "what's a couple more floors?", all of which has led to a more relaxed attitude toward tall buildings beside short ones. Certainly when London was designed there was no expectation that someone would be asking for 46 storeys across Jarvis from a 10 storey St. Lawrence Co-op.

Despite the more relaxed attitude, Context did not get 46 stories for Market Wharf, but were cut back to 34. Still, that's much higher than envisioned back when anyone was told that everything east of London would be shorter than it.

Emporis lists Market Wharf at 103 metres, but London at only 93 metres. That's old data though: they also only list London at 30 floors, not 33. In the end the height of each tower will be within a couple of metres of the other, and Market Wharf will not be blocking any Londoner's view: it'll be part of the view. Those wavy balconies on Market Wharf will look great from London, about 320 metres distant.

Back