Toronto St Regis Toronto Hotel and Residences | 281.93m | 58s | JFC Capital | Zeidler

Perhaps it's time to require a source for rumours... just as photos posted without source/acknowledgement... are deleted in most forums... so go the baseless rumours.

An interesting anti-troll strategy.
Yes I've said that in the past too. I really think the mods/admins should make a decision on what to do with all of these rumours. I think giving a source is the only way that they should be allowed in the topics.
Maybe a rumours thread should be where all rumours are placed and discussed.

This doesn't make any sense. I can see shutting down a la MaRS, where you're waiting indefinitely for more tenants, but to just shut down for 6 months? What's the idea? To wait for more credit? It doesn't save any money in the long run, so it seems pointless.

Thanks for the post TOBoy - very informative. I strongly agree, the number of people who come up with lame, baseless rumours is astounding and extremely unproductive. Can you imagine the cost of shutting down such a massive project for 6 months and then restarting it? It’s absolutely preposterous. As was mentioned earlier, there have been hundreds of posts saying this one would never start construction. Now that it has, they are trying to convince everyone it won’t finish. I really enjoy this forum for the incredible insights into new projects and photos of projects I would otherwise not get a chance to see - but these jerks with negative rumours are determined to ruin it for everyone simply because they need attention.

... I really think the mods/admins should make a decision on what to do with all of these rumours. I think giving a source is the only way that they should be allowed in the topics.
Maybe a rumours thread should be where all rumours are placed and discussed.

With respect, I disagree. I am one who has sometimes placed "rumours" on the board, without stating specifically where I get my info. I don't post anything unless I am pretty certain of it, but won't always disclose sources, as I hear things now and again that are not public. Nor do I post everything I hear.

Having said that, I agree with the sentiment. I have said more than once how fed up I get sometimes with rumours on this forum that seem to be baseless and even downright ridiculous, as this one certainly seems to be. 1 Bloor East seems to have had any number of these as well. I will try to judge these stories by how credible they sound, and whether the person posting them has some track record of being credible.

Taal's comment is well taken.

Thanks but I think I see where we are going wrong now,

The fact that there are 2 pages in response to the rumor is merit enough for a few bored soles out there to post them in the first place.

Unfortunately there's no real solution ... some rumors are indeed valid and eventually prove to be true. Just like this one here, I'm not calling you a liar by any stretch ... Although I do think we few a rumor posts are made just to stir up the pot.

MODS:

I have an idea, what if we create rumor thread. If someone has a "rumor" i.e. something that is not backed by an official press release or something along those lines why not post it there.
That should keep the specific project threads clear. At the same time it doesn't stop people from posting rumors and the 2 or more page ruckus that usually follows.

The specific project threads can be updated if and when a rumor is validated ... hence for the most part the project thread can be taken 100% as fact.

You might ask? But won't the rumor thread get crowed with various projects ... yes, but that's fine seeing how they aren't based on fact - anyone wanting to read through it I'm sure is willing to filter through all of it. Think of the tabloids :)

Last edited:
Guys I hate to say that I'm hearing a lot of the same stuff...

Just because the majority of the units are sold, doesn't mean the builder gets any money from the tenants...not until closing...

All of the money comes from American banks for the majority of projects...(cheaper loans)...

This is the talk going around from inside the industry...

HOWEVER...

Other jobs which were threatening to shut down, due to financing, were covered at the last minute...

It's a wierd time right now so well just have to cross our fingers that these projects keep going...

Question: Do the rumor spinners have the same IP address? Anecdotally, these rumors are never started by anyone with more than a dozen posts. I can't imagine why there are hoardes of people out there who feel compelled to start an account for UT just to tell us the "talk in the industry" says project XYZ isn't going ahead or that their "friend in the business" knows that Condo 123 lost financing.

I believe these rumours. Consider the guy behind this building. Look at "joe typical Russian billionaire" these days, what has happened to them? Here's a little Russian joke for y'all: How do you make $10 million in Russia? You start with a billion dollars. :p

Now, with the price of commodities (concrete, rebar, copper, etc) falling, who wouldn't want to renegotiate costs? A 6 month "rest" would give them time.

I never believe marketing people.

See an argument along the lines of they wish to wait 6 months as the price of commodities is dropping is reasonable ... and more believable.

I really doubt it would be 6 months then - it could be any period of time. Who's to say things will not keep dropping after so that particular time table would likely come from the marketing side.

Moreover there are just as many dangers in waiting ... 1) losing financing if things are going to indeed keep on going worse (indicative by your "price in materials" statement" 2) very little demand for the remaining spaces (that will also continue to drop and know one will buy once they are aware of the delay).

So all in all it makes sense but at the same time it doesn't.

I don't know about this most recent rumor, but for all that I know ... I have been hearing on 680 News (radio) all day that there are significant traffic delays @ Bay + Adelaide due to "crane hoisting" ... that to me sounds like Trump is going into the next stage of construction preparing to start the tower section above grade ~ :D

I don't know about this most recent rumor, but for all that I know ... I have been hearing on 680 News (radio) all day that there are significant traffic delays @ Bay + Adelaide due to "crane hoisting" ... that to me sounds like Trump is going into the next stage of construction preparing to start the tower section above grade ~ :D

I thought that would be BA, but I guess Trump would make more sense...yeehaw...

Can anyone confirm?

Back