Southcore Financial Ctr: PricewaterhouseCoopers Tower (18 York St, bcIMC, 26s, KPMB)

It looks like they've been nibbling away at the railway embankment, so maybe that needs to be removed to allow for shoring work to continue.

I haven't seen any city documents for this one. Does anyone know what their plans for PATH connectivity are? I'd love to see another teamway under the tracks put in, or maybe another bridge over to the Skywalk.

a friend of mine working on the project said excavation will start in late november as planned.

and apparently the glass is going to be of a really fine quality.

so it'll be a bridge overpass and not underground PATH connection ??

Here's a shot of the site taken on Sunday. Note that the two trailers in the northeast corner are for the Union south platform project and have been there for months (you can also see progress being made on that in this shot). There are however two new trailers on the southwest corner of the site (not visible in this pic). Also it looks like concrete bound for Telus is no longer being unloaded here and pumped under York St. The trucks are now going directly onto the Telus site.

I like the idea of having both 25 York and 18 York connected via a bridge- it adds something different to the streetscape and allows people to make the connection above ground, but protected from the elements. From the last picture it looks like Telus already has the bridge connection portion completed (?)

p5

I like the idea of having both 25 York and 18 York connected via a bridge- it adds something different to the streetscape and allows people to make the connection above ground, but protected from the elements.

I'm not sure how a raised connection abutting the York underpass adds to the streetspace . Wouldn't it simply extend the damp, deafening agony a few seconds longer?

I hope, for one, this is a one off situation and not the future of the PATH system as walking under bridge on top of bridge in Calgary was certainly not a pleasing experience.

I don't know exactly how they plan to complete this, but if it were up to me, I would hope for something that was more than just a mere concrete overpass. Naturally, anything damp, cold and unappealing, is well, unappealing. But, why would I want that? Calgary? Where is that?

p5

looks like groundbreaking was yesterday...from the Star:

New tower a good sign, says mayor

Oct 04, 2008 04:30 AM

Paul Moloney
City Hall Bureau

The gyrating markets are making people nervous, but yesterday's groundbreaking for a 26-storey downtown office tower shows big-time investors remain confident in Toronto's future as a financial centre, says Mayor David Miller.

Miller praised the British Columbia Investment Management Corporation (bcIMC), which invests pension funds, for funding the project despite economic uncertainty.

"I think all of us are extremely concerned about the news from the United States," he said. "And the willingness of bcIMC to invest in the future of Toronto and to understand that Toronto does have a successful and bright future means a lot to us."

The 650,000-square-foot building at 18 York St., to house accounting firm PricewaterhouseCoopers, will occupy the northwest corner of York and Bremner Blvd., just west of the Air Canada Centre.

It joins the Telus building under construction across the street in helping to extend the downtown business district south of the rail corridor, Miller said.

About three million square feet of office space are going up in Toronto.

Construction of 18 York is expected to be done by fall 2011.

Great news. Hopefully this reaffirms to other developers and investment firms that Toronto is still a good market to invest in and develop.

2911467502_c61c2441dd_o.jpg

looks like groundbreaking was yesterday...from the Star:

New tower a good sign, says mayor

Oct 04, 2008 04:30 AM

Paul Moloney
City Hall Bureau

The gyrating markets are making people nervous, but yesterday's groundbreaking for a 26-storey downtown office tower shows big-time investors remain confident in Toronto's future as a financial centre, says Mayor David Miller.

Miller praised the British Columbia Investment Management Corporation (bcIMC), which invests pension funds, for funding the project despite economic uncertainty.

"I think all of us are extremely concerned about the news from the United States," he said. "And the willingness of bcIMC to invest in the future of Toronto and to understand that Toronto does have a successful and bright future means a lot to us."

The 650,000-square-foot building at 18 York St., to house accounting firm PricewaterhouseCoopers, will occupy the northwest corner of York and Bremner Blvd., just west of the Air Canada Centre.

It joins the Telus building under construction across the street in helping to extend the downtown business district south of the rail corridor, Miller said.

About three million square feet of office space are going up in Toronto.

Construction of 18 York is expected to be done by fall 2011.

Great news! Hats off to our friends out West...

Back