Toronto Aria | ?m | 19s | Fernbrook Homes | Rafael + Bigauskas

Aria isn't that bad looking at all ... even though they are not towers 30+ storey in downtown Toronto

so it is not glass + steel ... that doesn't make it horrific by nature

anyhow, preliminary address for the pair are 10 & 20 Bloorview Place

I don't think it's horrible looking. Infact, I think it suites the area well, especially since it's being built in a ravine type setting. It would not make sense to throw in a glass tower in an area like that.

aria.jpg

You mention it's not the design that's horrible, but the materials used. Enlighten me, what materials would you use? What would be suitable?

Yeah, this looks nice enough.

Then again, I like The Cheddington, and apparently I'm pretty much alone on that one, but I don't get what's so bad about it.

I don't think it's horrible looking. Infact, I think it suites the area well, especially since it's being built in a ravine type setting. It would not make sense to throw in a glass tower in an area like that.

You mention it's not the design that's horrible, but the materials used. Enlighten me, what materials would you use? What would be suitable?

Maybe it *is* the design that's, uh, "horrible". And all in all, how would such design "make sense" in a ravine type setting in a way some sort of non-retroschlock modernism (*not* necessarily a point tower) wouldn't?

I couldn't picture, say Concord Adex's condo's, in that specific area. What I am trying to get at is that I just don't see something very urban or 'industrial' looking working in that spot. The development does not look too overpowering and because of that, blends in with the ravine type setting. I guess it's just my personal taste/bias.

I personally would prefer the current Aria over the '1 Benvenuto' square-ist 60's looking block (not sure if its the correct decade)

I personally would prefer the current Aria over the '1 Benvenuto' square-ist 60's looking block (not sure if its the correct decade)

I believe 1 Benvenuto is considered the best example of 60's modernism in TO.

You can see how some of the current aA projects and other architects are reflecting the organic wavy nature in the design, the exteriors, on the balconies, etc. as a way of 'softening' the all glass point towers.

Aria is a completely different project and marketed as such.

"Elegant chateau touches and timeless architectural excellence come together in Aria, creating an artistic structure that is truly beautiful to behold. One look, and you’ll know that this is not just another condominium. Striking fenestration creates an unforgettable facade. Copper roofs evoke the classic estates of the French countryside, while shining glass balconies add a sophisticated modern flair."

Aria_render.jpg

Just thought I'd repost that pic on this page so everyone can have a good laugh again! I'd like to take the credit, but really, it's the architects and developers who are the comedians.

Back