Toronto West Harbour City | ?m | 36s | Plaza | BDP Quadrangle

Some updated pricing

A little more info from the new Phase II Sales Centre.

(1) Unit 2403 - 1423 Square Feet, 2 bedroom + Den, 3x balcony, SW Exposure is offered at $684,990 with one parking space and one locker. $481 per square foot.

(2) Unit 2406 - 1427 Square Feet, 2 Bedroom + Den, 3x balcony, NW exposure is offered at $659,990 with one parking space and one locker. $463 per square foot.

(3) PH 2602 - 2101 Square Feet, 2 Bedroom + Den, SW Exposure is offered at 1,113,990 with one parking space and one locker. $530 per square foot.

I understand that there are still some Phase I units available but these will not go on sale until later this fall when Phase I construction has progressed to the point where they can build a new sales centre in Phase I.

Speaking from experience, units similar to 2406 have gone up in price by over $100,000 since the spring of 2006. If I back out the cash back that was being offered at the time out of my purchase price, I calculate the price of these units have increased by 21% since they closed the sales centre last year (assuming they sell them at these prices.)

I agree with the recent posts re: the quality level of the units. It was the fact that these units had "standard" finishes that would be considered "upgrades" in most other buildings that influanced my purchase decision last year.

2 New Pictures - August 17th

A couple of new shots taken this afternoon. Looks like they are working on the 19th floor...

Attachments

• DSC_8305.jpg
    DSC_8305.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 326
  • DSC_8306.jpg
    DSC_8306.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 311
wow just noticing this now ... it appears Plazacorp is making great progress on the tower part of WestHarbourCity 1, but the 11 storey podium slab connected to the east is no where to be seen, don't they usually build it together?

WHC_rendering_2.jpg

Usually it's the podium then the tower... but then again Plazacorp isn't conventional

In most cases the podium is under the tower, so it generally needs to be built first failing anti-gravity concrete. Here it's to the side, so they can build it whenever it best suits.

What's so unconventional about Plazacorp? They are responsible for some of the ugliest new buildings in this city (a couple of the Imperial Square buildings between Richmond and Adelaide at Sherbourne are some of the most horrific crap foisted on this town in the last decade), but then there are a lot of developers responsible for aesthetic nightmares in the city, so that's pretty conventional. West Harbour City seems to show that they finally care about architecture, so that's quite commendable, but I don't find the developer all that extraordinary. CGM, do you know something about Plazacorp that's a secret to others?

This is the site of the former brewery, they demolished the western half of the building and started excavation on the tower while leaving the eastern half of the building up with the rooftop sales office selling Phase 2.

When they closed the sales center for phase 2, the demolition continued as construction started on the tower portion for phase 1. The podium for phase 1 is close to ground level now and has it's own crane. The tower and podium share the parking garage and they have connected the 2 portions of it as the podium construction has progressed.

What's so unconventional about Plazacorp? CGM, do you know something about Plazacorp that's a secret to others?

Unconventional in architecture, finishes and marketing. Everybody is building glass and aluminum, they are building brick and precast... much more conservative than other builders. Their standard appliances and finishes are upgrades in most other buildings. Very low key marketing... Feather Factory Lofts built under secrecy... Still not listed on their website. Nothing against Plazacorp. I actually like them. West Harbour City and King West Life are great additions to the area and Regency is turning out better than I expected

While I find it a bit of a stretch to call a developer unconventional when they are using more brick and precast than many of their competitors, I will give it to you that their slavish devotion to poor exterior design was beginning to leave them choking on everyone else's dust, even Tridel's (since their move towards a more modern aesthetic), but West Harbour City has saved Plazacorp to a great degree in my eyes. WHC could end up being one of the most sought-after addresses along the lakefront if the early promise of this development is kept once the complex is complete.

I am not familiar with the quality of Plazacorp's interior finishes and workmanship, so if you say it is above par, then good on them. I just hope that Plazacorp will continue to step-up their game architecturally they way they have with WHC - and that's not to say that they must abandon brick or cast off the pre-cast - they just need to build with the attention to detail they have shown at WHC and not the lack of it at Imperial Square and the like.

Glass is being installed on the west side of the lower floors. Looks fairly transparent to me but I'll get a better look tomorrow.

Just wondering, is there a reason why the building is terraced to the north, rather than to the south? Wouldn't it be nicer to have terraces that face the lake, rather than the Gardiner?

There'll be another couple of buildings between it and the Gardiner (including LTD) before you get to Fort York. I won't make for that much deference.

Back