Toronto Maple Leaf Square | 185.92m | 54s | Lanterra | KPMB

2768250876_233148a29a_o.jpg

Love the glass. Although I like the effect, does the warpy reflection indicate it is of very cheap quality?

mlsgrande.jpg

love this pic too....thx CN for the great updates today....

Love the glass. Although I like the effect, does the warpy reflection indicate it is of very cheap quality?

Good call... Didn't pick that up. But no, that is normal, you will see that on all buildings under the right lighting. Once all the windows are installed and curtains go up, it will be harder to detect.

But will we have street life?

I can only imagine. The area is already pretty lively and that's with nothing but empty lots and construction sites. It does seem that most people are walking through the area rather than hanging around, but I'm sure the offices and sports bar will take care of that. Oh, and the various sporting and music events of course.

This area already has street life ... in the summer only now though.
I was just there this weekend and earlier in the week there are always people walking. But also right now the only reason to walk that stretch is to get to harbourfront so there isn't really a destination there it self other then the ACC. So we'll have to see how that changes, in particular in the colder months.

just browsing the PCL website, came across this update (apologies if already posted)....interesting, hotel is on the north side, offices on the south...they are already at the 7th level above-grade for the podium, looks like 3 more to go

Current Progress(as of July/08)

The project is continuing with forming and pouring the 5th and 6th floors on the north side (hotel) and the 3rd and 4th floors on the south side (office). The new permanent Air Canada Center (ACC) ramp was commissioned on June 12, 2008 and is open for traffic. The temporary ramp serving the ACC has served us well but demolition activities commenced on June 13, 2008 as it is no longer required and should be removed by July 11, 2008 allowing us to begin forming the floor slabs left out to accommodate the temporary ramp. Permanent power was activated through the project switchgear on June 12, 2008. Maple Leaf Square is 95% tendered and converted from a GMP to Lump Sum contract in March 2008. Project curtain wall will commence August 1,2008.

Project Description

Maple Leaf Square is a hotel, 872-unit condominium, shopping and entertainment complex that will be built in an adjacent lot on the west side of the Air Canada Centre. The two condominium towers; one 44-storeys and the other 40-storeys, will project out of an 10-level above grade podium and a 6-level below grade parking structure. The podium area will contain a hotel, office space, daycare, retail area, a fine dining restaurant and a large high-tech entertainment sports bar and music club that will complement the Air Canada Centre.

It was already posted, but a little refresher doesn't hurt. I thought the podium was going to be 9 floors, so I'm at least happy to be corrected. It would then be 3 more floors to go for the north side and 5 for the south

Just out of curiousity, does anyone know where the visiting teams stay when playing in Toronto? I don't suppose they go for the pricey accomodations, say like the Royal York? Do visiting baseball teams just stay in the hotel component of the Rogers Centre?

I'm asking because of the hotel component to MLS. It would make sense for the visiting basketball and hockey teams to stay directly across the street from the stadium. I'm assumimg this was the goal?

I think this area will see street life during the long Winter season. What else is there to do during hockey/basketball season? With the "monster" sports bar opening up and who knows what else in the area, this area will become more of a destination point.

Wasn't Alex Rodriguez staying at the Four Seasons during the infamous "Stray-Rod" incident? I've heard that visiting baseball teams will stay at the Holiday Inn on King. Maybe visiting hockey and basketball teams stay at the Westin Harbour Castle?

During my student years I worked for the Blue Jays in the front office and the most popular hotels for visiting teams were the Westin Harbour Castle and the Park Hyatt.

Just out of curiousity, does anyone know where the visiting teams stay when playing in Toronto? I don't suppose they go for the pricey accomodations, say like the Royal York? Do visiting baseball teams just stay in the hotel component of the Rogers Centre?

I'm asking because of the hotel component to MLS. It would make sense for the visiting basketball and hockey teams to stay directly across the street from the stadium. I'm assumimg this was the goal?

I think this area will see street life during the long Winter season. What else is there to do during hockey/basketball season? With the "monster" sports bar opening up and who knows what else in the area, this area will become more of a destination point.

Most visiting NBA, NHL teams that i have seen over the years were staying at the Westin or Hyatt as Billy mentioned. Saw a MLB baseball team at the Hilton too. The Germain hotel at MLS is going to be a small chic boutique-hotel like all the other Germain hotels, one visiting team could fill up the entire germain hotel, so i would think visiting teams would continue to stay at the big hotels like Westin and Hyatt. The Hotel Germain group has some of the nicest hotels in north america lucky toronto will have two of these amazing hotels :eek:

Some of the richer players stay at the more ritzy places, while the rest of the players will stay in a more moderately priced hotel.
Then again some players I'd assume probably have their own condos in different cities.

Back