News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.1K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 457     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     1 

Star of Downtown, The (Willowfield/Norstar, 12s, Kirkor) COMPLETE

Definitely a case where the rendering was much worse than what it ended up looking like. I think it turned out OK.

The rendering in combination with the name made it a bulleye target of criticism for this forum...Mostly justified, IMHO.

If it had a modest unassuming name, maybe something like The Wellesley rather than something arrogant and bombastic like Star of Downtown, then I think the there would have been much less fodder to work with..Even a great building with a name like The Star of Downtown is gonna get railed.

But yeah, those shots of it are not that bad..

it was the most hideous website ever, I'll grant you.....but you will soon have a new target, the phase II town homes are being thrown up ( in more ways than one) as we speak...now these really are fugly.

it was the most hideous website ever, I'll grant you.....but you will soon have a new target, the phase II town homes are being thrown up ( in more ways than one) as we speak...now these really are fugly.

lol, good on you for weathering the storm for the life of this thread...

If someone insulted my home, I'd probably wouldn't have reacted in the same way.

That is a bit true. It looks like a seventies apartment building where they recently refitted the balconies with glass (there are examples all over the city).

I was so surprised by those pics on the last page I decided to go check it out in person and I gotta say I must apologize for any of my pre-judging negative comments about this building. Although it's certainly not "stunning" it is a rather handsome addition to this stretch of Wellesley. (And wow, residents actually get their own light for their balconies.)

EDIT: One thing though... you MUST NOT allow people to put up sloppy meshing to keep the pigeons out. That is not doing the perception of your building any favours.

Noticed: See how the building's street front facade (roof line) matches the old building on the right? See the similarity? Compare the roof/facade profile. Interesting....

DSCN3254.jpg

Has anybody else noticed that the TTC (or whoever does these things) has just installed the concrete base for a new transit shelter right in front of the door to the most easterly store - at corner of Ontario Street? I guess they could put a door in the back of the shelter and use it as a front porch. Could become a trend! :->

Okay building. Too bad they built it right to the curb. I went to Jarvis Collegiate and used to walk by that eyesore in the late '70s. Glad the peeling plywood is gone. I see a lot of units being flipped on MLS. www.notgood.com

Still. Is this what we waited 30 years for?

Back