News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.7K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 387     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 969     1 

1 St Thomas (Lee Development, 29s, Stern)

What's your opinion of 1 St. Thomas?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ah, buildup, you make me laugh. Ha. Ha.

Anyway, what's with the old-school kitchens? You pretty much know what demographic they're catering to when they use white french-style kitchen cabinets. And I agree, the white marble bathroom is just horrible. Someone we know in our building did something similar, and it looks like Tony Soprano built it. There's a really nice version on one of the MLS links Dane posted in grey slate, now datsa spicy meatball!

That's why I'm generally not as interested with the inside of buildings because units are completely idiosycratic. You might have a "soprano" unit next door to a (US, please suggest a 'tasteful' designer's name).

The architect can only control the structure not the buyer's finishing decisions. I think the default kitchens & bathrooms were Downsview, who are everywhere these days, but they have different designs to chose from. And of course people could upgrade to other kitchen manufacturers like Clive Christian, Snaidero, Neff like with any home or condo.

Default finishes? You don't have enough pull to specify what your kitchen and loo will look like?

If the valets scratch Comper's car parking your ice cream truck next to it he's not going to be happy.

Last night, walking to the subway after Nunavut, I noticed how Albert Speer-like and grossly disproportionate the arched doorways on this pretentious thing are. I guess it impresses some folks.

June 12

Entrance to 1 St Thomas.
2578662618_e312eec0f3_b.jpg

2577934359_f5d4f9a69f_b.jpg

"Last night, walking to the subway after Nunavut, I noticed how Albert Speer-like and grossly disproportionate the arched doorways on this pretentious thing are. I guess it impresses some folks."

Your voice is becoming more inward, desolate, an internal meditation. The defeat in your last sentence is touching - are you referring to the favourable poll, or the flattering article in Friday's Post?

A lot of buildings I like would have been described as pretentious and overblown when they were built. Admitedly these examples aren't found in Canada but in Europe, Asia, and the US. Resulting from a Canadian mindset which you embody well. Your Nazi allusions I won't even address.

Anyway, looks like 77 Charles is starting soon, the movers were emptying the building; and The (Minto) St Thomas is commencing so we have new discussions to look forward to on Charles.

I agree, they should replace the column with a simpler traditional style like Doric or Ionic. I don't know what that column is trying to do, but the rest of the entrance works I think.

Anyway, looks like 77 Charles is starting soon, the movers were emptying the building; and The (Minto) St Thomas is commencing so we have new discussions to look forward to on Charles.

I'm not looking forward to it :D (I would have preferred restoration of the houses on the st thomas site)
i hope that those people who live in the facing walk up apartments have really loud barbeques on the deck, and hang around on the fire escape smoking pot.
nah, probably won't be getting any of that from there, but they'll have similar antics from the university next door (hopefully) ahaha

I think those townhouses, which are mostly a mixed bag of offices, are going to be redeveloped. I'm fairly certain they will be preserved, just upgraded and restored. Would be a good place for small high-end practices or townhomes.

I agree, they should replace the column with a simpler traditional style like Doric or Ionic. I don't know what that column is trying to do, but the rest of the entrance works I think.

Ah, but tradition is stodgy. Remember how High PoMo took its cues from the Soanes and Lutyenses out there (and yes, perhaps the Speers, too--at least as part of the broader and ironically "apolitical" stylistic milieu of 30s stripped Classicism) in taking calculated liberties with the orders...

Back