Toronto Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport | ?m | ?s | Ports Toronto | Arup

I spent last week in NY and used Porter for the first time.

• Lounges at both ends (Toronto Island & New Jersey) are attractive, which is a major plus because the AC gate at LAGuardia is a hole
  • The commute at this end is short, Jersey into Manhattan less so.
  • Stewardesses were attractive
  • Customs at this end pulled me aside, which is rare, but the next customs officer overruled the first & waived me through so that was fine
So the whole thing was positive except the length of the Jersey Manhattan commute. I spent $80 getitng into NY and $90 getting out through insane Friday PM traffic.

I just spent another grand on those Porter Passes so they better stick around for a while.

I'm a huge fan.

They clearly have $$$ to burn as one sees lots of their blue buses in downtown going between the Island Airport and their downtown terminal in the SkyWalk - I have never seen one with more than 2 people in it, plus the driver. It would be cheaper to provide free taxi service!

A Porter plane lands on the roof of King's Court!!!

DSCN5070.jpg

Sorry, thought this thread could use a tad more humour. :p

The sky colour indicates that photo is from Mars (the planet).

I spent last week in NY and used Porter for the first time.

So the whole thing was positive except the length of the Jersey Manhattan commute. I spent $80 getitng into NY and $90 getting out through insane Friday PM traffic.

Where did you get those figures? I just went to NY on Porter with my G/F, we got the NJT into Penn, 15 bucks each, took 1/2 hour......Porter themselves couldn't be faulted, the plane was on time(outbound, was late back), full, and as previously stated, the drinks were free:D. I can only say that whomever is financing the losses Porter may be running up must have deep pockets, there is no way that they built their business model to withstand oil prices up by 60% in a year, not sure anyone could.

Airline Group Sees ‘Desperate’ Times

Though I will re-post this, I must re-iterate that if I am being aggressive or offtopic feel free to tell me to bug off and I will stop. However, I find the distinction between 4.5 billion in profit to 2.3 or (more likely) 6.1 billion in loss to be dramatic.

-------------------------------------
By CAROLINE BROTHERS and MATTHEW SALTMARSH
Published: June 3, 2008
ISTANBUL — Citing high oil prices and the slowing economy, the International Air Transport Association on Monday sharply lowered its industry forecast for 2008, saying it now expected a collective loss of $2.3 billion.

In March, the group had forecast a profit of $4.5 billion.

At its annual meeting here, the association urged governments to roll back regulations that they argue are damaging the industry at a time when many carriers are in a “desperate†situation.

If price of oil, which is now just below $130 a barrel, averages $107 over 2008, the aviation industry would lose $2.3 billion for the year, the chief executive of the group, Giovanni Bisignani, said. Should it hold at $135 a barrel for the rest of the year, the industry will lose $6.1 billion.

“After enormous efficiency gains since 2001, there is no fat left and skyrocketing oil prices are changing everything,†Mr. Bisignani said. “The situation is desperate and potentially more destructive than our recent battles with all the Horsemen of the Apocalypse combined.â€

Other problems facing the airlines, the group said, include uncertainty about the approach by the European Union and governments toward state aid and airline mergers.

The chief executive of British Airways, William M. Walsh, said: “We’re definitely as an industry in a crisis situation. With a softening in the economic environment, high oil prices, it’s inevitable that fares have to go up.â€

Mr. Walsh added that he expected to see additional bankruptcies soon.

John Leahy, chief operating officer of the European plane maker Airbus, said that the sector could adjust to higher fuel prices “but it will take several years, and how many will be left standing?â€

Hartmut Moers, an analyst at the bank Sal. Oppenheim in Frankfurt, said “The key short-term question is who is best hedged against the oil rise.â€

“And then further out,†Mr. Moers said, “you look for the airlines with robust operations, the flexibility to adjust and the ones that are best capitalized.â€

In Europe, that probably means the strongest are the biggest — Air-France-KLM, British Airways and Lufthansa. The situation in the United States appears more complicated given difficulties of integrating different carriers and the weak dollar, which makes oil even more expensive.

Consolidation is the obvious solution, Mr. Moers said, but “there are more obstacles than you might think.â€

In the United States, Delta Air Lines and Northwest Airlines said in April that they planned to merge. But last week, United Airlines and US Airways suspended merger talks. In Europe, Air-France back away from acquiring Alitalia of Italy. And in December, long-running talks by a consortium to buy Iberia of Spain collapsed.

Mr. Moers said that government support would be needed if a number of flag carriers are to survive. “It’s very hard for any government to let an airline go bankrupt,†he said, “and that is the scenario if nothing happens.â€

One possibility, analysts said, is a resurrection of trans-Atlantic deals, provided antitrust rules are softened.

But Mr. Walsh of British Airways opposed government aid to support struggling flag carriers.

“If they were struggling with $65, $70, $80 dollar oil, I don’t see how they can survive.†Mr. Walsh said.

For its part, British Airways announced in May that it was “exploring opportunities for cooperation†with the two airlines in the United States, leading to suggestions that it would extend its OneWorld alliance with American Airlines to include Continental.

British Airways and American, a unit of the AMR Corporation, have failed to get an exemption from American antitrust laws to work more closely because of their dominance at Heathrow airport in London.

‘Things have changed†Mr. Moers said. “We now have the ‘open skies’ agreement. I’m not sure that we would see the same stringent conditions of such a move as before.â€

At the industry conference, Mr. Bisignani said: “Twenty-four airlines have gone bust in the last six months and $130 per barrel oil is reshaping the industry even as we speak. In the next 12 months we could face $99 billion in extra costs from oil.â€

He said governments must “stop crazy taxation, regulate monopolies effectively, ensure that the cost of energy reflects its true value, fix the infrastructure and change the rules of the game.â€

“Labor must understand that jobs disappear if costs don’t come down,†he added.

In particular, he criticized the European Parliament for imposing 100 amendments an emissions trading proposal.

“We face a bill of 6.4 billion euros for a misguided and unilateral proposal that will inspire international legal battles but do very little for the environment,†he said. “These are reckless decisions when the industry is in crisis and oil prices have changed the game completely.â€

Mr. Bisignani called for governments to develop an emissions trading scheme that is fair, voluntary and global. And he urged financing for innovation for biofuels and new generation engines and airframes.

not aggressive at all, so no worries. It's an accurate and realistic concern, but I think that Porter is too small for it to be worried about the global airline economy. 3 successful main routes and the odd flight to here or there is minute compared to 99% of the airlines.

Just take Newark's people mover over to the New Jersey Transit/Amtrak stop, and ride the train into Manhattan. It's far cheaper, and at rush hour, faster.

I checked on getting a Porter 10 trip pass but it doesn't work for Newark, NJ.

I would get one if they had it, as I often have last minute urges to pop over to New York every couple of months or so.

strange, thought it was set up already. I think maybe they were waiting to see how popular the route would be and just how the FAA scheduling set backs would play out. I can bring it up at work and find out if/when the 10 packs might be coming and I'll let you know.

I checked on getting a Porter 10 trip pass but it doesn't work for Newark, NJ.

Was any reason provided as to why it won't work for Newark?

I'd also be jumping on one of these for the New York access.

With these new fuel surcharges, these Porter passes are even more of a bargain. Currently, the passes are only for Toronto to Montreal or Ottawa.

strange, thought it was set up already. I think maybe they were waiting to see how popular the route would be and just how the FAA scheduling set backs would play out. I can bring it up at work and find out if/when the 10 packs might be coming and I'll let you know.

Thanks Jn_12. I'll be all over them the minute they hit. NYC every couple of months? You bet!

ok, so unfortunately I don't have a good answer. It's essentially just "it's not set up yet" when i asked why I was told they're working on it. Mind you these answers didn't come from people actually working on this stuff, but just my supervisor, so take it with a grain of salt. Sorry I don't have anything better to report. Lowly customer service reps only have so much access to info haha

Porter's frequent flyer program just started as well, so that's another chance to save some cash.

Back