Toronto Living Shangri-La Toronto | 214.57m | 66s | Westbank | James Cheng

Wylie:

Just out of curiosity, how did you make that rendering? Did you use podium or one of the other sketch-up plugins?

It does make everything else around it look puny - which makes the City's original case for holding Boutique to 20 floors look silly. Wow - am I siding with the OMB on this one? It's a rare day...

Oh Goody.
Another tall oversized building made of glass in the City of Toronto.
How original of them.

Honestly, where is the good architecture these days? Are there any other materials they can use other than glass? I can't tell one new condo from another.

On a side note, that Boutique Condos height expansion should never have been permitted.

Oh Goody.
How original of them.

Honestly, where is the good architecture these days? Are there any other materials they can use other than glass? I can't tell one new condo from another.

On a side note, that Boutique Condos height expansion should never have been permitted.

You didn't make your point. You didn't make any point.

/\ I'm with 3D here. While griping about the current 'state' of architecture in this city, you fail to make any reasonable points or supply examples.

Your critique of Boutique doesn't count since it was predicated purely on the building's height, not its aesthetic quality.

Just out of curiosity, how did you make that rendering? Did you use podium or one of the other sketch-up plugins?

I rendered the model in Kerkythera, a freeware renderer that I've been playing with over the last few days. Then it was copy and paste using Corel PhotoPaint.

I would have thought people would like glass since there is an obvious hatred of precast concrete and that faux brick which seems to be prevalent on so many projects.

Oh Goody.
How original of them.

Funny. I get that "can't tell one new condo from another" feeling from places like North York Centre, Mississauga City Centre, Etobicoke's Motel Strip, etc. And to me, the dominant can't-tell-one-from-another aesthetic is more often than not brick/concrete LoPoMo schlock--to the point where something like this actually stands out for the better (so far).

Greengrey, if you're so phobic about glass, I'd like to know your opinion of the old Sun Life building at University/Richmond/Simcoe (across from your place, N of Shangri-La)

200university.jpg

Oh Goody.
How original of them.

yeah, I guess you're right.

Oh wait, you live here and you "love the look and architecture of the building":

universityplaza1ru6wl5.jpg

Back