News   May 24, 2024
 9K     2 
News   May 24, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   May 24, 2024
 492     0 

University Avenue (History and Future Redesign)

The Globe has a follow up piece by Alex Bozikovic on the TOCore proposal to consolidate University Avenue (shift the space allocated to the islands to be contiguous to the east sidewalk, creating 9 new acres of parks in the process.

The concept runs from Bloor all the way south to Queen; but in this iteration, north of College the road switches to the east and Queen's Park Crescent in the west is removed in favour of an expanded Queen's Park and some natural features to recall Taddle Creek.

The estimated cost is 230M.

Renders from the article follow:

1605274051691.png

1605274096914.png

1605274138692.png

Last edited:
There's a reference to daylighting a small portion of Taddle Creek; but as that creek's waters are now fully intermixed with the sanitary sewer system that can't happen.

The cost of fixing that would be greater than the entire scope of this project.

Nice idea though.

Some water could be gathered by colllecting rain runoff from nearby buildings and remaining roads.

But its likely any feature would require an active clean water supply.

In respect of 'Osgoode Park'.

I understand the appeal of removing the fences, and in general that's something I support, but these as far as I know are original to the site and include extensive use of brick.

I think at least some of it should be retained; I'm also inclined to preserve anything that's removed in that regard.

They need to be careful with the vehicle lanes as there is on street parking needs in front of the hospitals. I can't picture University operating well with only 1 through lane in each direction if the curb lane is always full of accessible parking.

They either need to relocate parking or create dedicated spaces for it.

I agree that University, especially north of Queen, would operate fine with 2 vehicle lanes in each direction. It's all that's needed.

@AlexBozikovic just dropped a story about reviving the University Park idea. I believe there was a previous thread for that, but I can't seem to find it now.

EmtcyMxXEAATa24

@AlexBozikovic just dropped a story about reviving the University Park idea. I believe there was a previous thread for that, but I can't seem to find it now.

EmtcyMxXEAATa24

Already a thread for this in the Design section.

They need to be careful with the vehicle lanes as there is on street parking needs in front of the hospitals. I can't picture University operating well with only 1 through lane in each direction if the curb lane is always full of accessible parking.

They either need to relocate parking or create dedicated spaces for it.

I agree that University, especially north of Queen, would operate fine with 2 vehicle lanes in each direction. It's all that's needed.

Not "parking", but "laybys" to allow stopping for dropping-off and picking-up patients. Five minutes maximum. No taxi stands, maybe have a "door-person" call a taxi and help with bags.

Last edited:
I don't like this at all and think it would be a real lose to the city.

I rather like the design but I don't like where they are putting it. University certainly needs a refresh but it still remains Canada's only true grande blvd. University really is unique in Canada and to just toss it aside would be a real shame and very short sighted. Torontonians lament the fact that it doesn't have the archetectural grandeur or heritage of Montreal but University is one thing Montreal doesn't come close to. The design is there but not the location. Such a concept would be far better on Yonge or especially Queen which is about to get torn up due to the subway construction regardless. With the Ontario Line coming, getting rid of the streetcar will not be problematic and such a design on Queen between Church and Spadina would beautiful the street, still make NPS accessible by a parkway, make it far more pedestrian friendly, and be far better utilised by the population. Even Spadina between Queen and Bloor would be a better choice.

Despite liking the design I would actually consider this closer to an abomination than a asset. Toronto has a lot of streets that could use a far superior public realm and beautification so tearing down it's most grande avenue is the last place they should be looking at.

Last edited:
I don't like this at all and think it would be a real lose to the city.

I rather like the design but I don't like where they are putting it. University certainly needs a refresh but it still remains Canada's only true grande blvd. University really is unique in Canada and to just toss it aside would be a real shame and very short sighted. Torontonians lament the fact that it doesn't have the archetectural grandeur or heritage of Montreal but University is one thing Montreal doesn't come close to. The design is there but not the location. Such a concept would be far better on Yonge or especially Queen which is about to get torn up due to the subway construction regardless. With the Ontario Line coming, getting rid of the streetcar will not be problematic and such a design on Queen between Church and Spadina would beautiful the street, still make NPS accessible by a parkway, make it far more pedestrian friendly, and be far better utilised by the population. Even Spadina between Queen and Bloor would be a better choice.

Despite liking the design I would actually consider this closer to an abomination than a asset. Toronto has a lot of streets that could use a far superior public realm and beautification so tearing down it's most grande avenue is the last place they should be looking at.

I like the design, especially for the pedestrian and cyclists. It would be a BIG WINNER for the city.

It's my piece.

The scope is much larger than the TOCore proposal. And since there are now bike lanes on University and QPC, the impact on vehicle traffic would be minimal.

This isn't a city project, yet; it's being promoted by a private foundation and Evergreen. Their website: https://universitypark.evergreen.ca/

View attachment 282584

Are they offering any money or is it just an idea from them? I really don't see this happening for at least 20 years unless some private money is put forth.

Back