Toronto OnePark West | ?m | 13s | Daniels | Core Architects

March 25, 2008

regent-4.jpg

I had a quick look but is there a master plan for this area anywhere?!
Sorry if there is, there were a lot of pages to go through.

2473339319_d38f635363_o.jpg

The 22 and 8-sotrey buildings under construction at Dundas and Sackville will provide 159 units of seniors housing and 65-larger family oriented units. Move in dates are towards the end of this year.

The One Cole development contains a nine-storey 92-units building and a 19-storey, 293-unit building as well as a Tim Horton's, RBC branch, day care centre, U of T learning centre and a Sobey's.

It's bizarre how Regent Park gets the most expensive bank brand and the most expensive grocery brand. Surely a better fit would be a No Frills with a President's Choice bank branch?

PC Bank is one of the worst banks for customer service, though I am not saying that RBC is a good choice since they are extremely fussy over who they lend too. This neighbourhood requires an extended full service branch with extended hours due to the clientèle. It appears that only RBC and TD are building new branches in the inner city and not just relocating from other sites.

I heard this directly from TCHC employees working on the redevelopment. The Sobey's store is a deliberate attempt to raise the attractiveness of the area for the market condo units. Putting in a crappy grocery store just shouts poor neighbourhood.

My understanding is that a discount grocery store is already located within walking distance.

It's bizarre how Regent Park gets the most expensive bank brand and the most expensive grocery brand. Surely a better fit would be a No Frills with a President's Choice bank branch?

Hey, at least they have a Tim Hortens.... although I'm sure that Starbucks is already plotting a store on each corner of that block.

I wonder why Sobey's chose to put their luxury rip off line of grocery stores here instead of their discount Price Chopper?

I wonder why Sobey's chose to put their luxury rip off line of grocery stores here instead of their discount Price Chopper?

If its anything like the cash grabbing mini-Sobeys at Queens Quay, then local residents in RP should start counting pennies for a $5 loaf of bread.

I guess some people haven't realized what is happening here.

The silent point of the Revitalization Plan was to push away the low income people and bring in a new middle class. Regent Park takes up a lot of land. Very valuable land at that. But it was not being used to its full potential because of the low income residents. So in order to best use theland from an economic standpoint, their move was to decide there will be one giant redevelopment project as opposed to slow gentrification, effectively forcing the low income residents out to places like Scarborough and other lower income areas. When it's all finished and people are ready to move back (years from now) it will be too expensive to afford, and they'll have already set up new lives in other areas and won't bother trying to move back. It will no longer be their home.

I honestly think the lower income rentals will be occupied by new university graduates with huge student loans and people like that who cannot afford 2k a month in rent in a king W condo and certainly cannot afford to buy.

The Sobey's and RBC will fit in perfectly with the new residents.

Back