News   Apr 30, 2024
 28     0 
News   Apr 29, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Apr 29, 2024
 1K     1 

Toronto Public Library Lillian H. Smith Branch Expansion (239 College St, ?, ?)

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
This will be a decent sized project...........it finally has funding attached.

Sadly, the real money (construction) doesn't flow til 2028. Only 11 years after I first noted the project here at UT!

Total Budget: 32M

From the attachment at the end of this report: (2021 Capital Budget Submission) which goes to the next TPL Board Mtg on October 19

I used to go to the Lillian H. Smith library all the time as kid, and certainly remains in my Top 3 TPL branches in the city. Although an investment towards expansion is always welcomed, I'd reckon the only place to do so would be the garden behind it. Which is a bit bittersweet, as the green space is also a community resource.

Last edited:
I hope that whatever changes are coming, they don't alter the character of the existing building too much. It's among my favourite buildings in the city, one of the few postmodern buildings that is generally well liked. It is listed on the city's heritage register, so it does seem likely that any expansion would take place at the rear of the property, but I agree that it would also be a shame to lose that green space.

I hope that whatever changes are coming, they don't alter the character of the existing building too much. It's among my favourite buildings in the city, one of the few postmodern buildings that is generally well liked. It is listed on the city's heritage register, so it does seem likely that any expansion would take place at the rear of the property, but I agree that it would also be a shame to lose that green space.

I used to go to the Lillian H. Smith library all the time as kid, and certainly remains in my Top 3 TPL branches in the city. Although an investment towards expansion is always welcomed, I'd reckon the only place to do so would be the garden behind it. Which is a bit bittersweet, as the green space is also a community resource.

I don't imagine they would - but they could expand it under the garden...

AoD

The last time I saw the size of the expansion listed, it was billed as 7,000ft2.

The garden in behind is just shy of 9,000ft 2.

So I think that affords an answer.

That said, 32M is an awfully large budget for 7,000ft2

I'm inclined to think there may have been some scope growth.

The last time I saw the size of the expansion listed, it was billed as 7,000ft2.

The garden in behind is just shy of 9,000ft 2.

So I think that affords an answer.

That said, 32M is an awfully large budget for 7,000ft2

I'm inclined to think there may have been some scope growth.

Can't imagine they could do it easily - they'd have to rezone an open space.

1602645535951.png

(via https://map.toronto.ca/maps/map.jsp?app=ZBL_CONSULT)

AoD

Can't imagine they could do it easily - they'd have to rezone an open space.

View attachment 276598
(via https://map.toronto.ca/maps/map.jsp?app=ZBL_CONSULT)

AoD

Can you see anywhere else it would go?

I can't envision adding a floor to the existing branch, (which has about a 9000ft2 floor plate).........but maybe I'm wrong.

I think the City may control the parking to the south of the garden.

Not sure about that.

But I notice the fence from the garden wraps said parking.

1602646386952.png

Can you see anywhere else it would go?

I can't envision adding a floor to the existing branch, (which has about a 9000ft2 floor plate).........but maybe I'm wrong.

I think the City may control the parking to the south of the garden.

Not sure about that.

But I notice the fence from the garden wraps said parking.

View attachment 276600

I already suggested it might go underground - beneath the parkette. Not having any access to the building plans or whatnot, that's just a thought.

AoD

I already suggested it might go underground - beneath the parkette. Not having any access to the building plans or whatnot, that's just a thought.

AoD

Possible; but seems unlikely.

Also, I just checked out the 2020 budget submission (last year's); the project was budgeted at 17M and change last year. So it has almost doubled since last year.

Since we're well pre-tender, I'm again inclined to scope growth, but don't know that for a fact.

Edit to add.

The garden/park is listed as 180 Huron Street

The site to the south (parking) is 176 Huron Street and a discrete lot.

180 Huron is in the list of Toronto Parks; as Lillian H. Smith Park.

But with no features or description.

Attachments

• 1602647538858.png
    1602647538858.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 100
Last edited:
This library currently does have space in the basement that is generally used for meetings or exhibits. So it's not impossible that they continue bridging that and expand underground beneath the garden. I've also visited the Mulberry Street Library in NYC which has a substantial amount of its space underground. Either way, guess we'll find out more info as we get closer to 2028. ;)

This library currently does have space in the basement that is generally used for meetings or exhibits. So it's not impossible that they continue bridging that and expand underground beneath the garden. I've also visited the Mulberry Street Library in NYC which has a substantial amount of its space underground. Either way, guess we'll find out more info as we get closer to 2028. ;)

We could...........if we had that kind of patience.................

LOL

Or we could .....ahem, I might have.............asked........someone who should know.

I will report back.

Back