News   May 13, 2024
 253     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 2.1K     2 
News   May 10, 2024
 3.2K     0 

Toronto CityPlace: Montage + Neo (Concord Adex, 47 + 16s, KPMB)

Actually, a No Frills here makes more sense: I believe roughly half the population at CP will be Toronto Housing folk right? Plus all those renters at CP proper will surely be happy saving money at No Frills? (Personally, as a cheap lad I love No Frills. The money I save buying the basics at No Frills frees up cash for eating out.)

I pity the people that rely on Sobey's for daily groceries....

plus no frills has some really hot teenage girls wearing their lovely red uniforms... I might apply for a job there if I ever decide to work again.

It's scary how high the prices are in downtown Vancouver supermarkets compared to suburban ones - and people don't care or notice.

Who cares about Vancouver v suburbs, it is the same in Toronto too. The Dominion at College Park has an average 50 - 75 cents premium per item when compared to shopping in the suburbs. A lot of the times prices are even more outrageous.... Prices for a KG of fresh Pasta in the 'burbs = $3.50. Price for 350g of same fresh pasta at Dominion at College Park = $3.00. Prices for a jug of OJ in the burbs is about 99 cents. Same jug/carton is $2.49 regular price. Unreal.

At City Place it doesn't matter who is living around the supermarket, no one should be allowed to be robbed like that. Unless they are paying for parking.

I pity the people that rely on Sobey's for daily groceries....

There's a strange, unsung synergy between the Gladstone and the Price Chopper behind it...

Re the Ontario Food Terminal Sobey's, I've been there late evenings, and it seems like the kind of place where House Of Lancaster-type skank and their pimpy boyfriends shop. Appropriate

^That's one thing I miss about living next to a Sobey's (in Waterloo for me:) midnight shopping I love it! Peaceful, a few hot clubber types to stare at, and I could spend hours in the store figuring out what to eat. I hate shopping normally, but 3AM at Sobey's: pure heaven.:)

^That's one thing I miss about living next to a Sobey's (in Waterloo for me:) midnight shopping I love it! Peaceful, a few hot clubber types to stare at, and I could spend hours in the store figuring out what to eat. I hate shopping normally, but 3AM at Sobey's: pure heaven.:)

Columbia and Fischer Hallman? I miss those 3 am grocery shopping adventures after a night at Morty's, Bomber or Ethel's (and the occasional Phil's, got to cheap once in a while). Mind you it was usually Pita Factory I ventured too after bar hopping or coming home from work at Galaxy at 1 am (had to wait till movies ended to close the projection booth)

Current has done another one of his terrific updates over at SSC...hopefully he will be posting them here as well....here's a great shot of Montage...

2372644284_b34fd3fb90_b.jpg

I was looking at Montage the other day and realized it is quite an attractive building. I wonder how people would view it if it wasn't for the fact that it looks the same as nearly all the other cityplace buildings in the area.

I don't thinkt the problem is that they are ugly, it's just that there are too many of them.

However I'll hold my final judgements until everything is finished. I know we're not anywhere near there yet, and don't want to make foolish pre-judgements like the others here.

Yeah, exactly; the tower itself is fine. The problem is the lack of variety. And the sterile, lifeless street presence. The tower is actually kind of neat, though.

From KPMB, for the record:

KPMB Project Team
Bruce Kuwabara (design principal), Shirley Blumberg (partner-in-charge), Bruno Weber (project architect); Claudio Venier, Krista Clark, Jill Greaves, Rita Kiriakis, Virginia Dos Reis

Description
Size: 662,734 s.f.
Completion: 2009

Block 24E combines residential building forms of different heights with street-related retail bases to activate the southern portion of Spadina Avenue, one of Toronto’s most important north-south arterials. It anchors the CityPlace development as it transitions from east to west and forms a gateway on Spadina to create a more inviting pedestrian experience. Beyond activating the precinct, its formal silhouette will make a significant statement in support of the Mayor’s and the City of Toronto’s agenda to create a City Beautiful.

The design is composed of three distinct elements: NEO, a north-south loft building, a light Pavilion with restaurant, retail and recreational amenities on Bremner Blvd, and Montage, a 40-storey point tower on the north-west corner of the parcel. A continuous abstract element defines the profiles of both horizontal surface and vertical planes and unifies the ensemble. The overall expression of the buildings is light and contemporary, using glass and metal on the upper storeys to mitigate the impact of their mass on the street, while stone, wood and other tactile materials establish an inviting, pedestrian-scale experience at street level.

The Montage tower is set back to have the least impact on the street. Its larger face is oriented to maximize optimal views to the Lake Ontario and city. The design was conceived in the spirit of iconic towers that distinguish major international cities, emphasizing simplicity and proportion to create a bold statement for City Place on Toronto’s skyline.

The architectural concept speaks to an increasingly sophisticated and discerning first-time group of home buyers who want to live in the city but need affordable homes. The units in the NEO building have already been sold out, largely due to their modernist yet cost-effective designs which feature sliding glass doors, natural materials and flexible, and highly functional plans. A major grocery store will provide a much-needed source of fresh produce and attract residents from the surrounding neighbourhoods and towers.

The design of Block 24E demonstrates that contemporary residential developments can be cost effective, distinctive in design, and have a broad and positive urban impact.

Back