News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 616     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Sobeys

Someone" is renovating the main floor of a building on George Street between Adelaide and Richmond for a grocery store - local rumor has it it is Sobeys. Though why they would want another store close to their new, and underused, store on Front/Princess is beyond me.

Rabba's hurting already, I think. I received my first-ever advertising flier from them in the mail the other day. Today I walked by and saw them screwing up huge, hideously ugly foamboard poster ads to EVERY SINGLE PILLAR on their part of the building. What an eyesore. Before I felt bad for them, now I feel annoyed.

I got those flyers for the first time too, when Sobey's first opened, and just tossed them.

However, now I actually kinda look forward to them. Some of their sale price items are great deals, much cheaper than Sobey's and Dominion. I am not sure if they are loss leaders or what, but it worked on me.

I was reading a report by the Retail Analyst for CIBC World Markets by Perry Caicco on Metro (who owns Dominion and Food Basics) and this is what he had to say about Sobeys:

"Sobeys is grabbing sites left, right and centre and will soon announce a downtown acquisition. Independents are racing into the market. And a multi-national may have already sourced 20+ small-surface sites in the downtown core.)"

Has anyone heard anything about any of this?

Hmm...multi-national...small downtown sites...given that it has recently entered the US, I wonder if Tesco is looking at Canada?

Given such a race for small downtown sites, what does Loblaws now think about its move out of such sites over the past decade?

Loblaws missed the boat big time as they have been too focused on going after WAL-MART with their big box Real Canadian Supercentre's. Not to mention their inventory issues. Companies that focus on smaller neighborhood stores scattered all around the city will win huge. I don't mean Rabba.

Just my opinion!

Maybe they ought to revive the name "Loblaw Groceterias" if they're gonna go the Sobey's-type neighbourhood-grocer route...

Hmm...multi-national...small downtown sites...given that it has recently entered the US, I wonder if Tesco is looking at Canada?

Given such a race for small downtown sites, what does Loblaws now think about its move out of such sites over the past decade?

I would really be surprised if it is Tesco. They have only opened 50 stores in the United States and are still proving out whether or not their Fresh and Easy stores can generate the sales volumes required to make money. Recent analyst reports from the U.S. are quoting that the stores are doing less than 50% of what was anticipated though it is very early for them in the California and Las Vegas markets. As well, there is just so much room for them to grow in the United States that setting up shop in Canada wouldn't make a lot of sense. Unless, of course, they were to buy Loblaws which has been often rumoured.

I was reading a report by the Retail Analyst for CIBC World Markets by Perry Caicco on Metro (who owns Dominion and Food Basics) and this is what he had to say about Sobeys:

"Sobeys is grabbing sites left, right and centre and will soon announce a downtown acquisition. Independents are racing into the market. And a multi-national may have already sourced 20+ small-surface sites in the downtown core.)"

Has anyone heard anything about any of this?

My suspicion continues to be that Loblaws is up to something. It makes no sense that Loblaws would just sit back on all this turf action. Still hopeful that an experimental mini or express Loblaws will show up at King/Portland as rumoured.

My suspicion continues to be that Loblaws is up to something. It makes no sense that Loblaws would just sit back on all this turf action. Still hopeful that an experimental mini or express Loblaws will show up at King/Portland as rumoured.

I have heard about the rumoured Loblaws concept at King and Portland but my guess is that with everything that they are dealing with right now in their business that launching a new concept will be a very low priority. They have so much to do to fix their existing business.

I also understand that Sobeys will be part of the development with Home Depot at Queen and Portland.

This Sobey's is gigantic and has no parking. Kind of dumb.

You mean the Front & Princess one? I believe that's the whole point of the "Urban Fresh" concept. As I understand it, only this location and the one at Harbourfront have been built with this concept so far. In fact it is not very gigantic at all, and in comparison to a suburban grocery store it is minuscule. It perfectly serves the many people in this neighbourhood who either don't drive, or only drive when they leave the downtown core. It fits into the neighbourhood nicely without being surrounded by an ugly sea of parking spots or increasing neighbourhood traffic with a huge underground garage. Best of all, it turned a formerly decrepit eyesore into an attractive and lively 24/7 business.

This Sobey's is the antithesis of the box stores everyone is protesting. In my opinion it's not dumb at all: it's very smart. Considering how busy it has been lately, even before many new condo developments open within walking distance (London on the Esplanade, East Lofts, King East, Pure Spirits) I expect it will become even more popular.

If they'd just open a few more cash registers...

Back