News   Jun 05, 2024
 147     0 
News   Jun 05, 2024
 424     1 
News   Jun 04, 2024
 1.7K     0 

Toronto Pearson International Airport

Strange i have taken 3 caribbean trips over the past 5 years through T1 and T3 and each time i never waited more than 15 mins for my luggage...

Different experiences i guess

Yeah, except for the fact that the wait for actually getting your luggage in T1 is like nothing I’ve ever experienced anywhere - not even in Buenos Aires or LaGuardia. Pearson should think about building a short-stay hotel in arrivals. You could check in, shower and have a refreshing nap, and your luggage might be out when you’re finished.
You jest, but I have long wished for a cafe right there. Win win.

Yeah, except for the fact that the wait for actually getting your luggage in T1 is like nothing I’ve ever experienced anywhere - not even in Buenos Aires or LaGuardia. Pearson should think about building a short-stay hotel in arrivals. You could check in, shower and have a refreshing nap, and your luggage might be out when you’re finished.
You’re right. I don’t know what kind of bad luck I have with luggage but I rarely get away without waiting 30 mins +

You’re right. I don’t know what kind of bad luck I have with luggage but I rarely get away without waiting 30 mins +
It kinda wrecks the point of 1st and biz class. Sure the onboard experience is great, but off boarding has no advantages, you're waiting for 40 mins for your bags with the rabble.

It kinda wrecks the point of 1st and biz class. Sure the onboard experience is great, but off boarding has no advantages, you're waiting for 40 mins for your bags with the rabble.

Last year I got Option Plus with Air Transit wherein my luggage was labeled as priority. When I got in from Gatwick they put our luggage on the wrong carousel which then broke. I recall an upset passenger trying to climb inside the carousel to retrieve his luggage after an hour.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air...-yyz-ac-flights-being-bused.html#post29989005

Apparently AC Rouge passengers were given the air stairs and bussed to terminal treatment recently. How something like this can be allowed to happen baffles me. AC is THE KEY tenant at pearson and pearson is the centre of AC operations/network, how AC accepted this situation without s**t hitting the fan is boyond me. Granted it was Rouge but still.

It's time to build pier G as originally envisioned in the 2007 master plan, not the current el cheapo plan.

This could have been as simple as an off schedule operation affecting the gate plan. A flight arrives with no place to offload so it gets the remote stand treatment. Not ideal but it is a common occurrence at many airports around the world. It beats being stuck on a taxiway and waiting for a gate to open.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air...-yyz-ac-flights-being-bused.html#post29989005

Apparently AC Rouge passengers were given the air stairs and bussed to terminal treatment recently. How something like this can be allowed to happen baffles me. AC is THE KEY tenant at pearson and pearson is the centre of AC operations/network, how AC accepted this situation without s**t hitting the fan is boyond me. Granted it was Rouge but still.

It's time to build pier G as originally envisioned in the 2007 master plan, not the current el cheapo plan.

I've been bussed to/from Lufthansa flights in Frankfurt and Turkish Airlines flights at Istanbul Ataturk. It's not ideal but it's really not the end of the world and so much better than waiting for a gate to open.

I've been bused at many different airports around the world too. I kind of like the experience, but only when the weather is good.

I had to bus to the terminal in Iceland during an ice/freezing rain storm. The buses sat at the plane, all doors wide open, for about 20 minutes. I felt bad for those who were connecting to warmer destinations and were barely dressed for that experience. Luckily I was continuing to Berlin and was appropriately dressed.

Come to think of it, I was bused in Berlin also! It gave me a chance to check out Icelandair's Northern lights livery up close. Something you wouldn't get to do at a gate.

2A998E57-4940-4AEC-9F61-D926D589CA45.jpeg

Attachments

• 2A998E57-4940-4AEC-9F61-D926D589CA45.jpeg
    2A998E57-4940-4AEC-9F61-D926D589CA45.jpeg
    132.4 KB · Views: 680
Last edited:
Beautiful bird! Always wear warm clothing when flying since you may end up diverted. I recall a Finnair A340 heading from Helsinki to Mexico or Caribbean one December not many years ago and it ended up in Toronto for 24hrs because of engine problems. Many passengers had ditched their winter clothes at the airport in Helsinki so I doubt they left the Toronto hotel. What a missed opportunity to see a new city.

This could have been as simple as an off schedule operation affecting the gate plan. A flight arrives with no place to offload so it gets the remote stand treatment. Not ideal but it is a common occurrence at many airports around the world. It beats being stuck on a taxiway and waiting for a gate to open.

I think the point trying to be made is that with the insanely high airport fees we pay here, there shouldn't be instances where we are running short on gates to unload passengers. When growth demands are also factored in, the questioning of the GTAA's decision to not build Pier G with Pier H is a fair one.

I think the point trying to be made is that with the insanely high airport fees we pay here, there shouldn't be instances where we are running short on gates to unload passengers. When growth demands are also factored in, the questioning of the GTAA's decision to not build Pier G with Pier H is a fair one.

It's a tightrope that GTAA has to walk. When T1 was built there was huge complaints from Airlines as well as passengers why the costs were so high. So many more people sought out alternative airports (Buffalo, Hamilton). If they overbuild there is a risk of a similar move by airlines and passengers.

But if they under build there is a similar risk. Too crowded or too painful to get on a plane and hence go to another airport.

What I have not seen is a economic rationale as to why they need a huge transportation hub next to the airport. It better not make getting to a plane harder & make airfares higher just so the few thousand passengers who want to come from KW via transit (plus stoke the ego's of Liberal appointees). Can we not have the LRT's come in at ground level of T1 (and Finch LRT connecting GO to the airport)? How much money are they spending planning for this vs the actual airport facilities?

What I have not seen is a economic rationale as to why they need a huge transportation hub next to the airport.

Both T1 and T3 have run up against space limitation in their security and customs areas. In addition, having split facilities as they do today leads to inefficiencies where T1 might be overloaded and T3 may have agents twiddling their thumbs. Part of this is the numerous added restrictions and some new equipment since T1 was designed.

I imagine the second part is that air-side malls are quite beneficial financially to the airports. The T1/T3 processing facilities would make for one heck of a huge air-side waiting/mall/foodcourt.

Back