News   May 24, 2024
 3.5K     1 
News   May 24, 2024
 775     0 
News   May 24, 2024
 373     0 

Union Station: Northwest PATH Expansion

I'm seriously at a loss here. What construction, exactly, even needs to be done, really? How many metres is it from the current NW PATH into the parking garage? And the parking garage already has a door into the PATH at 145 King St W, I guess they're building a second exit into 55 University as a part of this but again, how many metres is that from the parking garage?

How the hell is an EA even needed here? Creating two doorways, removing some parking spaces (or changing them from back-in to parallel) and adding a guardrail--really?!?!

New renderings.

8c9e-nw-path-renderings-2-1024x462.gif

8c7d-nw-path-renderings-1-1024x462.gif

8ca3-nw-path-renderings-3-1024x577.gif

@salsa Bizarre batch of renderpeople/renderpets suffering from climatic dysfunction; a store called denim with nary a batch of blue; and a Cyrillic facebook F with Eiffel Tower in the cutout?

AoD

@salsa Bizarre batch of renderpeople/renderpets suffering from climatic dysfunction; a store called denim with nary a batch of blue; and a Cyrillic facebook F with Eiffel Tower in the cutout?

AoD

It's probably a game at this point: "Who can fit the most ridiculous thing in an artist's conception (and get away with it)?"

I'm seriously at a loss here. What construction, exactly, even needs to be done, really? How many metres is it from the current NW PATH into the parking garage? And the parking garage already has a door into the PATH at 145 King St W, I guess they're building a second exit into 55 University as a part of this but again, how many metres is that from the parking garage?

How the hell is an EA even needed here? Creating two doorways, removing some parking spaces (or changing them from back-in to parallel) and adding a guardrail--really?!?!

Based on the number of spots disappearing the PATH will take over P1 of the parking garage (losing 185 of 312 spots). So I expect they will have to red0 the exit ramp (onto University). If I recall the York ramp (enter only) goes to P2 and then you exit via the University ramp on P1 (at King street you move from P2 to P1. But I haven't used it in a while so I may be mistaken.

Based on the diagram they are also only planning to extend it to 55 University (vs 145 King). I was hoping they could extend it right up to the King subway station (pedestrian pathway from 145 King to the subway) but my hope was dashed with the map.

I also assume there might be time of day restrictions on the work due to the subway. But other than that I agree...how can it take 3 years?

Based on the number of spots disappearing the PATH will take over P1 of the parking garage (losing 185 of 312 spots). So I expect they will have to red0 the exit ramp (onto University). If I recall the York ramp (enter only) goes to P2 and then you exit via the University ramp on P1 (at King street you move from P2 to P1. But I haven't used it in a while so I may be mistaken.

Based on the diagram they are also only planning to extend it to 55 University (vs 145 King). I was hoping they could extend it right up to the King subway station (pedestrian pathway from 145 King to the subway) but my hope was dashed with the map.

I also assume there might be time of day restrictions on the work due to the subway. But other than that I agree...how can it take 3 years?

I'm guessing property issues with multiple owners/stakeholders playing a role.

OMFG!!! Removing parking spaces!!! It’s The War on the Car!!! Why haven’t Mammo and Holyday gone to war over this outrage?

I am surprised they're removing all of the spaces. I thought they'd turn the eastern row of spaces into parallel spaces or at most remove them, and remove the hallway on the east side for entrance/exit making it PATH space instead along with the removed spaces. Turning the entirety of P1 into PATH space seems a bit extreme. At the very least I hope they keep a driveway open for cars to proceed to the exit to avoid costly and difficult reconstruction of the entire garage.

This was my 2nd least favourite alignment after the one that went west on front st. Compared to going up York or through the Royal York I think this is works somewhat poorly for all involved. Going up York would have required a lot more tunneling, and going through the Royal York would have required working with them and I've been made to understand the owners are boneheaded about prohibiting any sort of PATH access, but routing through a parking garage seems like a bad idea. We'll see.

This was my 2nd least favourite alignment after the one that went west on front st. Compared to going up York or through the Royal York I think this is works somewhat poorly for all involved. Going up York would have required a lot more tunneling, and going through the Royal York would have required working with them and I've been made to understand the owners are boneheaded about prohibiting any sort of PATH access, but routing through a parking garage seems like a bad idea. We'll see.

I don't think this route is a bad idea per se (especially with an eye on future developments) - but I think the route maybe relatively inconvenient for existing users that you want to divert from the current PATH.

AoD

I don't think this route is a bad idea per se (especially with an eye on future developments) - but I think the route maybe relatively inconvenient for existing users that you want to divert from the current PATH.

AoD

I wonder if the City can make funding a substantial portion of that PATH routing a condition of site plan approval for that Front St West development (151 Front?). Perhaps gather some of the necessary funding via Section 37 funding from that development?

That's really the only alignment proposed that has some big developments in the pipeline from which that kind of money can realistically be generated. The TD Centre isn't adding any new buildings anytime soon.

Back