News   May 17, 2024
 2.8K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.9K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

You can't talk about getting rid of the elites, be one of the people, and be part of a "grassroots" movement in a room full of gold/gilt like a Trump.
And yet it seems to work; people buy it.

"I can't hop back and forth", says Doug.

Well then, if this is a sincere comment, then I actually applaud him. *checks self for fever*

You think he is really done running for mayor?

I sure hope so, but I think it's his way of saving face. He knows (because he's paid for polls) that he hasn't got a chance against Tory. Doug has too much pride to be beaten by Tory twice. If he gets an MPP spot, he'll hate it, just like he hated City Hall. He wants to be premier just for the sake of it. He hasn't a clue about working for the government and being a public servant. He's only into camping not the day to day work involved. So I hope he's elected MPP for Etobicoke, they'll deserve him.

And yet it seems to work; people buy it.

The apathetic vote is at an all time high in many places and guaranteed its rampant in Ontario right now. For these types of voters this is an effort to make hay to the established parties they've long given up on. That goes for all 3 established parties. What some don't realize is many of these voters would vote Left if they had a Populist candidate screaming to hold Gov't accountable as well.

Bottom line you pretty much need wealth to be in this level of politics, so its not hypocrisy if he's actually trying to hold the others accountable and serve the citizens. Which is what people are buying. Whether these types follow thru in any way remains to be seen but someone has to start holding Government more accountable and we are just seeing the beginning of this message. Win or lose I believe this is still early and the Left will adapt and counter with Populist anti establishment, accountability candidate as well in the coming decades as there is lots to gain in addition to those that buy their usual shtick to get elected

Not saying Doug is the right guy for many character reasons and I dont personally agree with ultra low taxes, especially if greater accountably is actually on the way and so many needs. But for the people that just want to send a message he might be perfect for this time as he answers to no one and thats exactly what these voters want in someone to shake the house and carry their message. Well soon find out how big this large this type of vote really is.. My guess is pretty damn high

Last edited:
Yeah, but he had a hard time holding his own brother to account so I really don't hold out much hope for him being able to take on an entrenched gentry of which he is a part.

Let's be honest, Doug Ford is just an obnoxious and loud boor who didn't get slapped enough by his parents whilst growing up. He is nobody's champion. Least of all manual labourers such as myself. People who actually grind themselves down to make a living. He doesn't understand us. He doesn't speak for us. He doesn't represent us.

Yeah, but he had a hard time holding his own brother to account so I really don't hold out much hope for him being able to take on an entrenched gentry of which he is a part.

Let's be honest, Doug Ford is just an obnoxious and loud boor who didn't get slapped enough by his parents whilst growing up. He is nobody's champion. Least of all manual labourers such as myself. People who actually grind themselves down to make a living. He doesn't understand us. He doesn't speak for us. He doesn't represent us.
Given the family I suspect he was slapped far too much

Agree he's a boor. Now lets get to Politics. Do the Liberals represent you or me? Selling off Hydro? Buying votes on a a gas massive Gas Plant scandal, destroying evidence? They have basically run manufacturing out of the Province even with suspicious grants and rising Hydro. The list of misrepresentation to the average voter is long for all sectors. For this reason I believe that people will rally in numbers to throw a tantrum vote, its overdue and also believe Ford will win the Conservative nomination and battle it out with the publically correct Liberals.

The NDP are foolish. They have had years to come up with a louder voice against the Liberal shenanigans. I believe a huge number of people if all stripes are furious about and are looking for someone to run on accountability first. What a missed opportunity to have a strong voice for the large numbers who feel unrepresented. I woulndt dare pick the winner of Wynne-Ford but it would be interesting to watch. I'm not hopeful short term, but long term this could be a great message of accountability that is overdue once all parties get on board

Agree he's a boor. Now lets get to Politics. Do the Liberals represent you or me? Selling off Hydro? Buying votes on a a gas massive Gas Plant scandal, destroying evidence? They have basically run manufacturing out of the Province even with suspicious grants and rising Hydro. The list of misrepresentation to the average voter is long for all sectors. For this reason I believe that people will rally in numbers to throw a tantrum vote, its overdue and also believe Ford will win the Conservative nomination and battle it out with the publically correct Liberals.

The NDP are foolish. They have had years to come up with a louder voice against the Liberal shenanigans. I believe a huge number of people if all stripes are furious about and are looking for someone to run on accountability first. What a missed opportunity to have a strong voice for the large numbers who feel unrepresented. I woulndt dare pick the winner of Wynne-Ford but it would be interesting to watch. I'm not hopeful short term, but long term this could be a great message of accountability that is overdue once all parties get on board
I suspect that many here agree with the general thrust of your statement, but are equally aware that electing Doug Ford is one of the worst possible responses.

For my part, as someone who wants to see progressive policies implemented in this province, I'm so much more interested in ensuring that's more likely to be the case than punishing a current administration for the faults of past administrations just because they share the same party affiliation. I understand the reactionary desire to do so, but when push comes to shove, shouldn't it come down to the position that each part takes on the policies (both current and pledged)?

Obviously, if your main interest is in weighing the pledged positions, then credibility enters the equation. But, among the list of grievances aired in the first graf here, there's at least a decent objective argument to be made against the relevance of each:

- Do the Liberals represent you or me? Certainly more so than Doug Ford, who I find to be a generally abhorrent human, and I have no idea who Caroline Mulroney is or what she stands for. Plus, I think what they've done on minimum wage, pharmacare, and free tuition likely resonates with a pretty sizable chunk of people in the province (though whether they reward the Liberals for that is a different question).
- Selling off Hydro? They sold off a portion of a crown corporation to finance spending without taking on additional debt or running a deficit, and it's certainly up for debate whether the effect of a decrease in the ownership stake is actually deleterious in any substantial way.
- Buying votes on a gas massive Gas Plant scandal? Different administration, different staff, different premier.
- Destroying evidence? Assuming this is a reference to David Livingston, first, it's literally one guy, and second, different administration, different staff, different premier.
- They have basically run manufacturing out of the Province? A decrease in manufacturing jobs is a global trend and, even that notwithstanding, Ontario has seen record auto manufacturing investment over the last couple years. Plus, the economy overall is one of the strongest in the country which, to me, is much more relevant than picking one sector as a focus.

Of course, I think it's eminently reasonable to assume that the average voter may not engage in a similar accounting, and there may indeed be a tantrum vote (I got a good chuckle out of that term), but passing judgment over whether that's reasonable is a different matter entirely. Either way, as a progressive, I'd worry about both a Doug Ford- and a Caroline Mulroney-led PC Party, but certainly more so the latter.

And, yeah, also no idea what the NDP's gameplan is.

Poor Doug, his coronation as premier just became a little more challenging. I guess he should have waited another day before giving up on the mayoral race.

"Caroline Mulroney, Christine Elliott to run for Ontario PC leadership"

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/caroline-mulroney-to-run-for-ontario-pc-leadership-1.4515394

I think a further-split fields helps, rather than hurts him. I don't imagine there's much crossover between a DoFo supporter and an Elliott/Mulroney supporter. Every additional candidate helps him.

I have no idea what they're planning for in terms of electoral system, but ranked ballots and/or runoffs could dramatically influence the race/results.

Poor Doug, his coronation as premier just became a little more challenging. I guess he should have waited another day before giving up on the mayoral race.

Or at least waited until others threw their hats into the ring - especially Mulroney, who everyone expected to do as much - so he could steal their thunder with his own announcement. I'm surprised he missed such an obvious trick. He must be slipping!

Back